Matroyshka

Rate this topic

My first 'proper' post! It's either gonna be great or it's gonna be catastrophic. Guess we all gotta start somewhere.

One of the most confusing episodes, at least from my addled perspective, was Matryoshka. It was confusing upon first viewing as it was difficult to decide if I was witnessing the reboot, the re-invention or the very modern day origin of the Millennium Group. I have read that the events of Matryoshka are widely acknowledged as the first links between the ancient Millennium Group and the FBI though I can't help but ponder over the scene of Director Hoover producing his sketch of the ouroborous in the scene that appears to depict its first use as the symbol of the Group. It is interesting to note that in the original draft of Matryoshka the exchange between Hoover and Tolson refers to: "An enigmatic symbol for our new group," though this is tempered in the final version to: 'an ancient symbol for our ancient group.' Oddly the original intention behind this scene is revealed by a present day conversation between Peter Watts and a Group Elder, who notes: "A rocky beginning. Hoover and Tolson had the right idea, though." It appears to me that despite the rewrite the tonal theme of the episode remains the same. We are witnessing the inception of something accompanied by the assertion that the ouroborous, as the groups symbol, occurred as late 1945.

No matter how many times I view that episode I can only reach the conclusion that Hoover is suggesting the ouroborous, for the first time, as the symbol for a new group though in actuality it could be that what we witness is little more than a change in the groups remit, an emergence from the quasi-philosophical roots of old to the shady conspirital executioners potrayed in Season Three (a group not dissimilar from the Conspiracy of the X-Files.) As the X-Files and Millennium are revealed to share the same reality it is worth nothing that Hoover (played in both by David Fredericks) is depicted in the X-Files as subservient to the 'Conspiracy's supremo: C G Spender and despite the Group's assertion in Season Three that it does the work the Government won't do it must be concluded that it does so on an ad-hoc basis or at least as a convenient pawn for the Conspiracy. In a further possible link to the two histories the X-timeline has Nazi scientists relocated to Los Alamos, around the time of Matroyshka, as part of the Conspiracy's wider agenda and in the episode 'Triangle' Nazis are searching for "Thor's Hammer" which turns out to be a nuclear physicist travelling incognito on an ocean liner. In this episode Mulder finds himself embroiled in the attempts to save the physicist and keep the secret of the atomic bomb out of the German's hands. Whatever conclusions can be drawn about Hoover and his connection to the Millennium Group and to the Conspiracy he must, at least in 1945, have been of such standing that he was able to draw together the FBI and the ancient Millennium Group with a new modus operandi and suggest a symbol that would become universally accepted by the group itself.

Throughout Season Two it is suggested that the Millennium group has been in existence since, at least, the time of Christ. It is clear that James Wong wished to indicate this when he wrote, in reference to 'The Hand of Saint Sebastian', 'I felt that by revealing that the Millennium Group had existed for centuries and setting the episode overseas, that would give the story greater scope and weight." The Hand of Saint Sebastian may add further confusion to events when Peter Watts indicates that the very scenes intended to portray the Group's antiquity do, in fact, relate to the 'Knights Chroniclers'. He states that it is they who possessed the hand of Saint Sebastian though the fugitives depicted clearly display all the hallmarks of the Millennium Group complete with ouroborous and 'this is who we are' mantra. I suppose it is logical to conclude that the ouroborous, like many arcane symbols, would have featured throughout the group's history but was only officially adopted during the 1940's as its universally recognised cypher. This could explain how this and other symbols we found tattooed on the medieval group members without also contradicting the seemingly 'original idea' of Hoover. Millennium Group? Knights Chroniclers? One and the same?

What does seem of importance in Matroyshka is Lilly Unser's assertion that the events of 1945 caused a radical shift in Millennium Group ideology: the realisation that man, not God, would be the architect of his own demise, seems responsible for the shift in focus towards a tangible, predictable, secular Apocalypse. For a group that has placed such firm gravitas in the Judeo-Christian Armageddon, the advent of a weapon capable of such catastrophic destruction would make it apparent that this could initiate our ultimate destruction without any heavenly intervention. Possibly Matroshka depicts the advent of the Roosters, the first clearly defined formation of a secular eschatology within Millennium. Unfortunately evidence can be found for such a schism existing many years before the end of WWII.

In the episode Owls, weight is given to the idea of an historical Millennium group with an already palpable division with the following lines from Mr. Dean and Peter Watts:

MR. DEAN: 'Only twice in two thousand years has the Millennium Group been so divided.'

PETER: 'We've been searching for the crucifixion cross for eight centuries. As have "others"'.

Modern? Ancient? Reformed or Formed? The first divisions or the deepening of old wounds?

Evidence is given that the Group, in some incarnation, is acknowledged as existing sometime during Galileo's lifetime (We've been developing the evidence since Galileo smuggled his work to Group members while under Church arrest.) If the Millennium group had descended from a series of mystical orders that J Edgar Hoover had given a radical shift to in '45 it would appear that members either refer to these groups under the modern banner of Millennium or that Millennium has infact existed for thousands of years, intact and ouroborous wielding despite any allusion to other origins in Matryoshka.

Me? Puzzled?

Needless to say this episode confused me greatly and trawling the seasons of Millennium only deepened my confusion. Sometimes watching Millennium means you can do nothing else but sit and think about Millennium for some time after. It is during these periods of Millennial musings that I reached what is my (notice not 'the') resolution to these matters. I present the 'Potted, Falwed and Laughable History Of the Millennium Group' as viewed by yours truly.

Sometime during, or shortly after, the time of Christ, Post-Exilic Hebrew books of prophecy such as the Book of Daniel and Book of Ezekiel are given new interpretations. Inspired by Zoastrinism, fueled by the 'Revelation of Saint John The Divine' and mixed with large doses of Gnosticism, a Judeo-Christian sect emerges: an early Millennialistic sect of free thinkers, philosophers and theologians devoted to the study of, and spiritual preparation for, the End Times. At some point in its relatively early history it begins a search for the True Cross which will ultimately span for thousands of years and occupy a prominent place in the group in all its incarnations. During the time of the state-supported persecution of Christians by Nero (64 AD) the group is driven into hiding, its numbers decimated and its traditions confined to scant writings (or most likely continued in an oral tradition by its scattered survivors). The group re-emerges during the passing years and becomes insular, guarded and secretive as a result of its prior persecution. It is certainly in operation by the time of the life of Saint Helena (AD c.248 - c.329). Its traditions are refined by a series of incarnations till we meet it again in the form of one of the largest, and most powerful, of the Christian military orders, the Knights Chroniclers (possibly around the time of the Knights Templars AD c.1118). This group continues the search for the 'True Cross' and other Holy relics and begins to adopt the emergent protoscience of alchemy that would remain a fringe part of the group until its thrust to prominence by the works of the first true alchemist in Medieval Europe: Roger Bacon (AD c. 1214-1294).

As science has now begun to permeate throughout this once philosophical order the first evidence of a schism between opposing views becomes apparent. Those who adopt one of the more radical concepts of alchemy, the transmutation of man into God through the art of science, begin to oppose the passivity of the philosophists and theologians and adorn themselves with alchemical tattoos, most notably the ouroborous, as a mark of distinction. This emergence of new ideas causes the first great civil war within the group as member fights against member in a battle of God vs Man.

This scientific train of thought is further compounded when group members are in receipt of the teachings of Galileo (AD c.1564–1642.) Galileo, who's doctrine was not only heretical but atheistic, teaches the charting of the heavens and introduces radical new concepts in astronomy and a wholly scientific theorem regarding the Apocalypse. His Godless teachings bring about the ultimate division of group philosophies and causes the birth of two distinct sects. This divided group co-exists, albeit tentatively, for hundreds of years until in 1945 the birth of the atomic bomb convinces J Edgar Hoover and other like minded, secular members that man will ultimately father his own destruction and that former theological beliefs are now rendered obsolete. Fueled by his contact with the 'Conspiracy' he gains control of the group, defines it for a new era and introduces the ouroborous as its symbol: in homage of the groups first scientists. With this new world-view he moulds the group for the ultimate task of manipulating, controlling and ultimately possessing the End Times of the forthcomming Millenium. This dark and activistic shift in emphasis sows the seeds for the second great civil war depicted in Owls and Roosters.

Guess the rest as they say is history.

Its checkered, incomplete, apocryphal and possibly nonsense but in those Millennium moments this is how I de/constructed the past to make sense of the present. Whatever you make of the above please do tell. I look forward to hearing the good, the bad and ugly about it. And I'm sincerely sorry for taking up so much room.

Guest arcanamundi
Millennium Group? Knights Chroniclers? One and the same?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of the Chroniclers, there is an intriguing reference - fleeting but more than coincidental (I believe) - in 'Anamnesis'... when Catherine joins Claire McKenna on the park bench while she waits for a turn on the playground go-round. Claire says to Catherine, 'I used to be a Chronicler like you, only I believed; then I got tested like you, and then I didn't believe...' Catherine doesn't have a clue what Claire is talking about. 'Tested?' she says. Claire replies, 'By the man who took all the pictures of you. The man who told you the truth...'

Now first I thought that calling Catherine a 'Chronicler' was just the kid's way of referring to types in general who make 'case studies' out of God instead of believing, and was perhaps erroneously lumping Catherine in with Lara -- for whether its a Millennium Group consultant or a social worker, they're there to study and document Claire's 'case'.

Now I'm thinking it more likely that Claire, flush with the blossom of her visionary powers and in full recollection (anamnesis) of her divine feminine nature which is eternal, knows deeply of what she speaks when she calls Catherine a Chronicler, for she then reveals knowledge of the Polaroid Stalker and his significance in Catherine's life.

Since you mention references to the Knights Chroniclers in 'The Hand of St. Sebastian', and their connection to the Millennium Group, I find myself wondering if Claire isn't saying that Catherine was a Knights Chronicler in a past life. There are some hints in 'HoSS' of karmic motives at work in Peter Watts 'obsession' with the Hand. The Elder who admonishes Watts for getting distracted by his little side project (and does so with an enigmatic gravitas that Philip Baker Hall does so well) makes references to the ourobouric circularity of Watts' pursuit, almost like a dog chasing its tail through time. Its a personal pursuit for Peter. And even Frank sees with his gift a flash of arrows flying at Peter; not to imply that Watts was St. Sebastian in a past life, but that perhaps he was the man who's body turns up in that peat bog -- a Millennium Group guy from 998 AD.

Or maybe its not reincarnational at all, but merely the circularity of time, the repetition of events, with new actors in the same roles playing out eternal dramas.

One more thing about 'Anamnesis' - what a restrained yet impassioned performance by Kristen Cloke as Lara Means; her suffering the need to be present but refrain from intervening in the events around Claire, and the pain felt at the hands of her own 'gift/curse'. Ben Fisher sums it up when he quotes her the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas:

'If you bring forth that which is within you, what you bring forth will save you , but if you do not bring forth that which is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.'

Or words to that effect.

Just some off-the-wall musings from a brain addled by the end of a long week. Sorry if its tangential to the subject of the thread - Matryoshka and the origins of the Millennium Group.

This is who we are. :ouro::wtf: