Asteroid right ahead Captain!

Rate this topic

Guest Wellington

Guest Wellington

Hi

I needed some sort of news to celebrate my new Owl status, and the radio di not fail me yesterday!

It looks like a 1.2 km wide asteroid is on an orbit that could come damnedly close to our gardens in 14 years from now. It has been observed for several weeks, and the odds that it will impact the Earth are 1 out of 909 000. The day would be March 21st 2014. I just hope it will not be a bad luck day, because 1/909000 would then just be as good as 1/2... But then it would mean that the alien colonisation of 2013 would be short lived (as well as many of us, by the way).

According to scientists, the more they will observe it, the less likely it will collide (must be the definition of looks can kill). In one month from now, the odds will be much more on our side. Let's hope that it is not Mr Bean who is picking the data.

Regards

Guest Yaponchik

Since the asteroid impacts on Jupiter, a lot of people found government payed jobs to try to tease out dangerous objects on the loose.

I wonder what would happen if science proved we only have 10 years to go. I am ready to pack my bags, seems the moon isn't that far away. :thinking_big:

• Elders (Admins)

This absolutely fascinates me and I'm off to read more about it having only heard the recent news story second hand from my partner and secondly here in this thread.

The whole shall we tell the public and how will they react aspects in particular but also of course the scientific nature of such an event occuring and its effects.

Having watched and enjoyed the movie, "Deep Impact" several times I don't suppose it helps!

Graham.

"Run for the hills..."

Guest PROVO_SIX

Congrats on the Owl status.  I'm excited that I am atleast an Initiate now!  Wooo hooooooo....look out Owls...here I come!

When the asteroid hits...not if, hehe...where will I go?

:angel:  :ghostface:  :devil01:  :alien:  :plaster_big:

Guest Wellington

"Deep Impact"

where will I go?

I have asked myself the question, and I think I would end like Tea Leoni's character. If such an event were to be confirmed, I think I will not try to reach for some safe place. I am not sure I would have the will to begin anything new, the will to survive and not know what the future keeps hidden. I do not think I would be able to wipe out all I would have done in the past. That sounds coward, but I think a swift death is better than probable years of suffering. So I will reach for somewhere that would give me the best view on a great catastrophic event, ponder my life and hope to meet my end with peace in my mind...

Regards

• Elders (Admins)

Wellington said: I have asked myself the question, and I think I would end like Tea Leoni's character. If such an event were to be confirmed, I think I will not try to reach for some safe place. I am not sure I would have the will to begin anything new, the will to survive and not know what the future keeps hidden. I do not think I would be able to wipe out all I would have done in the past. That sounds coward, but I think a swift death is better than probable years of suffering. So I will reach for somewhere that would give me the best view on a great catastrophic event, ponder my life and hope to meet my end with peace in my mind...

I have to agree that I too would go and stand outside and get it over with, rather than suffer the aftermath. I made this decision long ago when the threat of Nuclear Annihilation  was at the forefront of peoples minds...

BTW, here's an interesting movie clip I downloaded yesterday which is a US Naval Training clip containing some unique footage of a nuclear bomb exploding...

Nuclear Bomb Effects

I've Winzipped it as its 6MB.

And how many time before have they said asteriods had long odds of hitting the Earth?   Hmmmmm. :thinking_big:

Have a better one.

:Owls_Ouro_Large:

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

As of September 02, 2003, 2454 Near-Earth objects have been discovered. 663 of these NEOs are asteroids with a diameter of approximately 1 kilometer or larger. Also, 525 of these NEOs have been classified as Potentially Hazardous Asteroids (PHAs).

You can find out more at this extemely interesting (for me at least) site, NASA's Near-Earth Object Program

Regards,

Graham :ouro:

:thumbsup_big: hey erin how about one of your  cool   pictures for us ?  on this topic.                                                     :thankx-big: