Another DVD update on The Abyss

Rate this topic

Guest Second Coming

Guest Second Coming
Wow, the Abyss is saying that there are issues with the pop music that's part of the reason they're having trouble bringing it to DVD. And the Abyss is saying that it would happen at the end of next year at the earliest. Wow, what is that 3 years in a row now that they've said that? This is becoming really sad. I hope it eventually comes about but I've pretty much given up. So, if it ever happens then I will be surprised.

im in the same boat, i have waited so long for this show to come out and fox is bascially using excuse after excuse. i wish they would just say yes or no.

But don't worry, we have The Anna Nicole Smith season 1 coming out in Nov.!!! :thumbsup_big:

19:19

:Ouro_Large:

Admittedly, the encouragement of Peter Staddon and others at 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment is beginning to sound cyclical after all this time.  I can only emphasize that this is the first time Staddon has expressed any certainty that the series will be released on DVD.  (Simply yes or no?  His comments were paraphrased for me and the answers was a solid "yes" for the first time.  Yes, but not soon.)  We can only hope that the news coming in 2004 takes a more concrete form as developments continue.

Guest Wellington

Hi

Well it is about time... I was looking at my VHS records yesterday, and despite a tremendously high quality broadcast on a full-digital channel, all I can get through my high-tech ( :thumbsdown_big: ) extended-play filter is a show seen through very, very, dirty lenses, by a foggy day, with swarms over swarms of bees confering together in the background. Even the moment of bliss that the title theme represent is spoilt. No, not spoilt, destroyed.

But maybe the dream will finally come true! With high rates, high sampling, high definition... However I have some difficulty over the ''pop music'' issue. I wish they got a better story this time. Carter's delay because of the X-Files collection was believable, and I am sure they had the same problem for this one too...

Regards

Guest Second Coming

Dix, I may have been approaching this all wrong. We have heard this so many times I just didn't give it much weight. But ya know, I didn't realize that this was the first time we've heard a definate "yes" about MM on dvd. And just a little over a year isn't too bad considering all that would go into getting everything together for those sets. The delay because of the X-Files sets makes sense to me. That was Carter's cash cow. He had better do those right. It makes all the sense in the world that after that he would focus on that first and then on something else. Perhaps things are further along than we think. If Henriksen has talked to Carter about a Millennium movie as reported on the Abyss; Then it would make me think that they've have been in contact or had discussions about Millennium. And I would hope it was discussions about MM dvd's. Possibly discussion on Henriksen's participation in the special features. Commentaries or interviews perhaps. Ah but who knows. About the pop music holding up the process....I guess I can see that. But what about the Japanese Laserdiscs? Wouldn't they have to got clearance for those too? And if so then maybe the clearance won't be that difficult to get.

More than ever the tagline Wait...Worry...Who Cares? seems appropriate.

• Elders (Admins)

But what about the Japanese Laserdiscs? Wouldn't they have to got clearance for those too?

That's a valid point indeed. However, DVD wasn't the format back then when the Laserdiscs were available that it is today. Also they may have permissions for many of the songs but missing one would put a halt on an entire season being released.

Roswell is appantently hung up on the legalities of just one song for a DVD release and if you look over the News Update on Millennium Desktop UK (MDUK) you'll see another series has been permanently disallowed a DVD Box Set Release.

Gra. :ouro:

.......INDEED GRA,YOU ARE "SPOT ON" AS YOU SAY! ..THE THING TO KEEP IN MIND IS THAT WHEN THESE LASERDISC SETS CAME OUT IN JAPAN,AND THEN SNUCK OVER TO THESE SHORES,THE LD-FORMAT WAS "THE" FORMAT IN JAPAN. MORE PEOPLE OWNED LD-PLAYERS THAN THE VCR! AND AQUIREING "INTERNATIONAL RIGHTS TO SONGS IS,FOR REASON I DON'T UNDERTSAND,MUCH MORE LENIENT THEN FOR DOMESTIC RELEASED PRODUCT. WHEN THE FINAL 2-SEAONS WERE RELEASED DVD WAS STILL A NICHE PRODUCT,WHILE THE LASERDISC FORMAT HERE HAD A USERBASE OF BETWEEN 4-7-MILLION HOMES AND HERE THE LD FORMAT WAS ALSO A NICHE MARKET,ALTHOUGH A 25-YEAR LONG LASTING NICHE FORMAT.      .......CHALK IT UP TO MORE STUPIDITY FROM THE FINE FOLKS AT "FUX"!!

~se7en :ouro: