Catherine & Frank

Rate this topic

Guest Ricardo Clement
I don't remember MM ever being advertised in that nature here & the series never gave me that vibe, personally. CC seemed to always focus on Frank when pitching MM - from the interviews/articles that I've witnessed.

Don't forget that the series would have been in production before promotional material/interviews etc would have been released, by the time broadcast began they would already have been producing the episodes where the emphasis had shifted from Frank and Catherine to Frank and Peter.

It would be interesting to read articles like that though; from Megan's viewpoint. If you can find them - w/d you post them for us? :alien2:

I'll try; these weren't online interviews (I didn't even have a PC, it was that long ago!!!), they were in British genre magazines such as DWB, Starburst and TV Zone.

I never saw her character's participation as being greatly reduced in season 2 given the fact that Animesis was an ep strictly for her & Lara, & Catherine was also greatly focused upon in Roosters when she took up her career part-time. I didn't look @ it, in regards to the ep's she was in.

Anamnesis being built around Catherine may just have been for practical reasons; don't forget that they produced an extra episode in season 2 (23 instead of 22), so this may have been done so that they could shoot 2 installments at once, one with Frank and one with Catherine. Also; look at the way the first half of the season plays out; if we assume that Monster and not Sense and Antisense was shot third in production order and that Midnight of the Century and Goodbye Charlie were made the opposite way round to what they were brodcast, Catherine is entirely absent from 7 conscecutive episodes - meaning that Megan wasn't at all involved with the series for at least three months.

BTW, I'm not trying to start arguments with anyone here - the comments I made in my original post were strictly based on facts I read back in '96/'97. :bigsmile:

Don't forget that the series would have been in production before promotional material/interviews etc would have been released, by the time broadcast began they would already have been producing the episodes where the emphasis had shifted from Frank and Catherine to Frank and Peter.

I'll try; these weren't online interviews (I didn't even have a PC, it was that long ago!!!), they were in British genre magazines such as DWB, Starburst and TV Zone.

Anamnesis being built around Catherine may just have been for practical reasons; don't forget that they produced an extra episode in season 2 (23 instead of 22), so this may have been done so that they could shoot 2 installments at once, one with Frank and one with Catherine. Also; look at the way the first half of the season plays out; if we assume that Monster and not Sense and Antisense was shot third in production order and that Midnight of the Century and Goodbye Charlie were made the opposite way round to what they were brodcast, Catherine is entirely absent from 7 conscecutive episodes - meaning that Megan wasn't at all involved with the series for at least three months.

BTW, I'm not trying to start arguments with anyone here - the comments I made in my original post were strictly based on facts I read back in '96/'97. :bigsmile:

You can argue if you feel like it, I thought we were having a bit of back & forth, discussion, etc. I'm not sure that just b/c a/some scene(s) didn't make the cut, it means that the character wasn't involved in the filming of the show, but in Lance's case he mentions flying off to Hawaiia to ly on the beach if he got some time off.

Guest Ricardo Clement
I'm not sure that just b/c a/some scene(s) didn't make the cut, it means that the character wasn't involved in the filming of the show

As I stated in my original post; I read that MG was given 3 months off to consider her future - this ties in perfectly with the fact that she didn't appear for a whole string of episodes near the start of the season, to me this another reason why the seperation storyline was introduced; it made it much easier to do episodes without her. As for your idea that perhaps her scenes were cut from some episodes; I find this unlikely - tv scripts are written to very strict timings, when you have just eight days to shoot each epiosde there isn't the time (or money) available to shoot scenes you don't need. I know some actors have commented about the ammount of footage that was shot on this show but this would probably apply to coverage of existing scenes, not material that doesn't make the cut at all.

Guest Ebdim9th

On the second season DVD there is a recent (read that as the last three or four years)interveiw with Megan Gallagher but she only seems to say about her getting killed off that it was ok with her and she moved on to other projects. I remember she also said she had never given any thoughts to having children before but working with Brittany Tiplady actually made her want to have kids after all...

There are deleted scenes in some of the tv series dvds I have, like BSG, Buffy, LOST and others. So some footage filmed on these shows was cut. Don't know about Millennium though. If MG said she didn't get what they promised her, then that's what she said. Would like to read it though if it ever becomes available.

ETA Blood Relatives appears to be a two way tie between Peter and Catherine, with Frank in the lead. Maybe if there had been more episodes like that...

Edited by Ebdim9th

As I stated in my original post; I read that MG was given 3 months off to consider her future

I forgot abt that. :eyes::embarassed:

As for your idea that perhaps her scenes were cut from some episodes; I find this unlikely - tv scripts are written to very strict timings, when you have just eight days to shoot each epiosde there isn't the time (or money) available to shoot scenes you don't need. I know some actors have commented about the ammount of footage that was shot on this show but this would probably apply to coverage of existing scenes, not material that doesn't make the cut at all.

What I was originally thinking abt was simply when a scene doesn't convey what was originally intended & they have to revise & reshoot it or toss it.

Regardless of budget, pretty much any show will probably have scenes they can't use, simply b/c people aren't perfect. They forget there lines sometimes, they get the giggles, they sometimes redudantly mispronounce words or invert the words in a sentence. I don't see that time or money would have such an overwhelming presence that it w/d preclude all of the actors involved from making unintended mistakes. As business people, filmmakers know that all of these incidences must be taken as a liability/loss to get their project made. That doesn't even include things like the weather or equipment malfunction that might mess up a shooting schedule.

In The Garden, (the director stated he didn't have money to shoot the film, that he got a lot of favors from friends & if I remember correctly Lance worked for free) there's a scene where the truck goes over the edge of the road. It was supposed to be shot once. In actuality the truck got stuck on the tree & stopped in mid-roll. They had to stop & unstick it to finish reshooting the scene. All businesses have liabilities.

Some of those liabilities wind up in blooper reels that we are all so fond of. Even if they aren't aired, that doesn't mean a tv series/movie didn't have them. I like the :alien2: XF's bloopers for season 6 a good deal, especially the part w/Peter Boyle when he, Gillian, & David are on the road looking for the location of a corpse. Without giving it away - Why didn't she? :eyes: There doesn't seem to be a reason, but she doesn't. :wtf:

Sadly none of my XFiles DVD seasons have bloopers among their ex :alien2: tra features

I don't think mine do, either. Go to www.youtube.com - I definitely remember seeing bloopers for seasons 1-9. Some have very risque` antics in them -> mostly between Mitch & David where they're just d**king around. :rofl: I found them to be very entertaining, but if someone's reserved, they probably s/d'nt watch. There's a small clip of Lance :ouro: w/David & Gillian when he was in the :alien2: xf's, unfortunately it only lasts abt 2-4 seconds; it's still cute though. :clapping::fool:

Edited by Doll

• 5 months later...
Guest peas_and_corn
As for your idea that perhaps her scenes were cut from some episodes; I find this unlikely - tv scripts are written to very strict timings, when you have just eight days to shoot each epiosde there isn't the time (or money) available to shoot scenes you don't need. I know some actors have commented about the ammount of footage that was shot on this show but this would probably apply to coverage of existing scenes, not material that doesn't make the cut at all.

All TV shows create more content than they need, giving the director freedom to shape the eipsode more carefully- even the Simpsons, which is animated, makes about 2 minutes of extra content per episode to give extra leeway to the director.