Owls Question

Rate this topic

Guest Prince William

Guest Prince William
I'll admit, it's been some time since I've seen any of the episodes, sadly.  I have a somewhat inane question regarding when the Old Man is killed.  Can someone describe the type of dagger he's killed with?  I have convoluted memories that it was some dort of ceremonial Third Reich dagger, often referred to in the "Holbien" style.  I don't think it was a standard bayonet or knife.  Thanks in advance for any help you can offer in clearing up this foggy memory.

Guest LauraKrycek
I'll admit out of all the episodes, I've seen this one the least.  I often forget it exists, not out of its lack of coolness, of course, but just for lack of many memories of it.  I don't remember the kind of knife, but I figured I'd offer that I read through parts of the transcript on the Abyss, and it didn't mention anything about the type of knife.  I figured if anyone knew, it would probably be Brian the Trivia King, but it doesn't say, so I don't know.  So, in short, there's really no reason for me to even respond.  Well... that was helpful, now, wasn't it?   :no:

Guest LauraKrycek
THe thing keeps popping in my head is that The Old Man was killed by a dagger of some kind.

Yeah, that's all we know for sure... big knife.  He gets stabbed, but he also cuts the dude who murders him up a little bit b\c he has his own knife.  Someone who has a copy of this should watch it and see... I only have a few episodes, carefully chosen for how much I like them, and those obviously aren't among them.  Plus, I can't find pictures of that scene.  Hm.  Maybe someone will post in the morning and will know, because now I want to know.

Oh, but as far as killing with ceremonial blades, there's always Mike Adkins in "Powers, Principalities, Thrones and Dominions", when Frank and Peter rush in to find him with one sticking out of his chest.  Ouch.

Guest Wellington

Hi

I don't think it was a standard bayonet or knife

Right, from memory it was looking more like a ceremonial/decorative knife, not even a commando-like knife. I guess the whole scene would have been taken down had it been shot with a folding military Swiss knife...  :wink_big:

"Evidence shows he was stabbed by a blade, then a cork screw, then a pair of scissors, then a tooth pick, then a screwdriver. Suicide is an option."

Regards

• 2 months later...

From the freeze frame (just checked the episode from SVCD) the knife used to kill the old man has the looks of the SS (uniform wear) dagger. The handguard, inlaid eagle, black color and silver decorations appear to be "the real thing" (the picture does lack detail and contrast).

But there the similarities end. The knife has a heavily serrated sawtooth-like double edge which would mean it's an aftermarket job (highly unlikely in the context as originals would command both high prices, and most likely quite some respect in the killers companions).

I've no necessary history books close at hand so I'm just relying on memory here, but the dimensions of the blade seem wrong as well -- it's too long, thus looking more like a miniature sword, instead of a streamlined, darkly esthetic dagger. (Such daggers were used exclusively for uniform wear, official functions and the like).

On second viewing, the knife that's pulled out of it's sheath looks to have a different blade to the one the killer's actually holding as he approaches The Old Man.

So, this historian declares the knife a prop. It's all make-believe.

The Old Mand, on the other hand, is holding a classic bowie-type blade. I'm tempted to say, as could be expected from an (American) outdoorsman.

(Crikey! This got suddenly long and winding...)

FADE TO WHITE:

That's the real thing in Forza's picture. But, in the episode, the blade was heavily serrated, looked like a miniature "big-tooth" saw more than a dagger. (Viewed from Grace's excellent SVCD's)

I'm sure someone (any1, help??) with even better picture quality can verify this.