Owls/Roosters

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

I think this two-parter is one of the best stories MM had to offer. Although some things may be a bit too far off for MM the story itself is extremely well told (and gives Catherine something to do by the way! :swingin: ).

I'd rate "Owls" 5/5 and "Roosters" 4/5. The only things that really bother me in the second part are

- the end of the episode, that just feels a bit rushed, and

- the belief of the owls involving this "cosmic bubble". :rofl: This script idea is just rediculous, especially as no human being could ever do anything to prevent Earth (and the whole universe!) from being destroyed. So why bother with the group anyway?

I think this two-parter is one of the best stories MM had to offer. Although some things may be a bit too far off for MM the story itself is extremely well told (and gives Catherine something to do by the way! :swingin: ).

I'd rate "Owls" 5/5 and "Roosters" 4/5. The only things that really bother me in the second part are

- the end of the episode, that just feels a bit rushed, and

- the belief of the owls involving this "cosmic bubble". :rofl: This script idea is just rediculous, especially as no human being could ever do anything to prevent Earth (and the whole universe!) from being destroyed. So why bother with the group anyway?

I agree there were some weaknesses to the story arc and the episodes featuring them. But, I just want to address your reaction to the 'cosmic bubble' as your referred to it.

If memory serves, the Owls believed that there was some sort of blackhole phenomena that caused a ripped in the fabric of space-time/reality, and that this tear was heading toward earth and would reach our planet around the mid 21st century. I am pretty sure that the discussions in the eps regarding this indicated that the 'advanced scientific knowledge' of the Owls/Group showed that the rip one it reached our solar system would transform all life on earth, not necessarily destroy it. And the scientists amongst the Owls believed that we should prepare ourselves for this transformation, and find ways to survive it. And, if they had bothered to develop this story arc any further in other eps, they may have indicated that the Owls were not only trying to prepare humanity to survive the transformation, but also looking to exploit and use the transformation to their benefit.

Just a little more info into the mix to kick around.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
With the lasers, I agree they were just target-sights, I wasn't trying to suggested the bullets were guided. But in general for the episode, I found there to be far too much gadgetry that didn't belong in the MM universe. The device used to take out the security cameras and disable the car in the night, for example.

For The X-Files. I'm a big fan of the mythology and very much enjoy the parts you identify as disliking. I don't dislike the idea of these kind of conspiracy plots involving ancient artefacts and organisations as we saw in "Owls" and "Roosters", just that I don't think they aren't what MM was about. It's more for Indianna Jones stuff, which I like very much, but they're different genres.

I would have preferred Morgan & Wong let MM stay on track and explored the above things in a new show of their own, but then they never had much luck in that department.

ZuesFaber, I think we should explore the possibility that you and I are polar opposites. :oneeyedwinK Yes, the good thing about X-files and Millennium is that there was something for everyone, and even MM S3, which I preferred the least, contained some of the greatest episodes ever on Millennium, (or ever on TV) in my opinion. In our case, I think my list of favorites is probably pretty close to your list of least favorites and vice versa, but no matter what the preference, if you stuck around XF and MM long enough, you were bound to run into something extraordinarily good. :yes:

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I agree there were some weaknesses to the story arc and the episodes featuring them. But, I just want to address your reaction to the 'cosmic bubble' as your referred to it.

If memory serves, the Owls believed that there was some sort of blackhole phenomena that caused a ripped in the fabric of space-time/reality, and that this tear was heading toward earth and would reach our planet around the mid 21st century. I am pretty sure that the discussions in the eps regarding this indicated that the 'advanced scientific knowledge' of the Owls/Group showed that the rip one it reached our solar system would transform all life on earth, not necessarily destroy it. And the scientists amongst the Owls believed that we should prepare ourselves for this transformation, and find ways to survive it. And, if they had bothered to develop this story arc any further in other eps, they may have indicated that the Owls were not only trying to prepare humanity to survive the transformation, but also looking to exploit and use the transformation to their benefit.

Just a little more info into the mix to kick around.

Yes, good point. I seem to even recall one of the Owls (I believe) indicating that the results of this "event" could range anywhere between devastating to inconsequential to the existence of humans. In other words, they didn't believe that this phenomena was necessarily going to completely destroy the planet.

Guest ZeusFaber
no matter what the preference, if you stuck around XF and MM long enough, you were bound to run into something extraordinarily good. :yes:

That's certainly true. At least the seasonal reinventions made MM unique and varied, even if we didn#t always agree with them.

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
Sorry about butting into this thread earlier. I thought it was a different thread I had recently been posting in. I thought is was the "You in the Millennium Group" thread. Sorry for the intrusion.

Not at all; you were just responding to Mr. Cox's 'Cosmic Bubble'...

I've told him NOT to try those vile concoctions that MIB drinks or he'll have gas...

But, DOES he listen...? :nope:

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Sorry about butting into this thread earlier. I thought it was a different thread I had recently been posting in. I thought is was the "You in the Millennium Group" thread. Sorry for the intrusion.

Are you kinddin', the contributions of a Millennium group "Old Man" are always welcome. :yes:

Not at all; you were just responding to Mr. Cox's 'Cosmic Bubble'...

I've told him NOT to try those vile concoctions that MIB drinks or he'll have gas...

But, DOES he listen...? :nope:

Actually I'm on a health kick right now and have been drinking Vodka and orange juice. :yes: