Millenium Group Assassin

Rate this topic

Guest Homer B. Petty

RodmusBen . . . . . a Billy Joel fan, could be?

I had another bit of input on this issue to offer after re-watching the Season 3 DVDs recently.

Carter puts a very thin veil over his dissatisfaction with what Morgan & Wong did in Season 2 with the Millennium Group mythology. Whether he's right/the merit of the various seasons is not something I wish to debate here. My point is that in the S3 documentary, he talks about trying to figure out what to do with "the show he was given."

Without putting words in their mouths, I would speculate the Carter's and Lance's biggest problem with Season 2 was the way that the Millennium Group was re-cast as a cult. I think both of them went into the series thinking of the group as a fictional parallel of the Academy Group, and the abrupt change in the MM Group in S2 flew in the face of that.

So, to me, Mabius was a way to "explain" why the MM Group became what it did. Over the course of S3 we are meant to learn two major things about the Group: that it has been infected by Legion from the inside and that Watts is a prisoner in this scenario. And really, both are brilliant plotting moves: it explains a lot about what happens to Watts in The Time Is Now, and it allows Carter to continue the Group mythology that Morgan & Wong established while still giving deference to S1 fans (by establishing that the group wasn't ALWAYS evil; it just became that way as it grew close to the Millennium).

I see Matryoshka as another example of this attempt at reconciliation. It's a connector between S1 ad S2 visions of the MM Group. In S2, the Group has been around for over a thousand years. Matryoshka proffers the idea that the centuries-old group was co-opted in the 50s in the US and re-directed as a law enforcement group by Hoover, thuse making possible the S1 style group.

Maybe that was a little confusing. I hope it made sense.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

You could say the seeds for the Legion's infiltration of the MG was teased at the end of Monster, where the little girl is now in the groups hands for some reason. Either that or collecting her (and they may have been others who knows) lead to the groups contamination. I just saw Monster again and seeing this thread reminded me of it.

Guest RodimusBen

Hi all,

You could say the seeds for the Legion's infiltration of the MG was teased at the end of Monster, where the little girl is now in the groups hands for some reason. Either that or collecting her (and they may have been others who knows) lead to the groups contamination. I just saw Monster again and seeing this thread reminded me of it.

A very good point. Oh, for a fourth season that would have tied all this together!!!

In Anamnesis, I was quite unsure who were the good guys (regarding their intentions for the girl), The Millennium Group or The Family...there was so little explained and shame we didn't hear more about The Family...and The Company for that matter (Johnston mentioned it on the phone when he stopped for gas before has was killed and lit on fire, in Owls).

Edited by ty7du

• 3 months later...

I like the ideas put forth on this thread. There is another thread comparing "Somehow Satan" to a book written by CS Lewis called "The Screwtape Letters." I find that the ideas put out about Mabius are comparable to the book, in that Legion wants to have Frank for his own influence, which goes along with the book in that people, like Frank, are better off in the eyes of Legion/Devil, being deceived and controlled, rather than shot dead. In "Burdo," we see Frank not get shot, which makes me wonder if Mabius was unable to shoot Frank for a spiritual reason.

I like the idea that Legion has recently infiltrated the Group via Mabius, and that the Group is too short-sighted to see it.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

applauds!

yes! these was my thoughts too. At the end she's sitting there with the group all ready to infect and destroy.............

• 2 weeks later...

But Mabius had an equally good shot at Frank in Skull and Bones, and then he was ready to kill....so it is just a case of different directions the writers were going in season 3?

Season 3 just threw me for a loop. Too many probabilities and twisty logic. From what I read somewhere, they were trying to get it off the religious/supernatural and get it back to the crime solving that was around in season 1. My question is, why didn't Mabius take the shot?

The issue of why Mabius didn't kill Frank could be extended to any of the avatars of Legion. The question would be equally valid if one were to ask why didn't Lucy Butler kill Frank Black? She had more than opportunity to do just that. To query that though does confuse what Legion's mandate was. It was never to kill Frank but to lure him into their service willingly, something that can't be done if Frank is dead.

Eth

• Like 1

The issue of why Mabius didn't kill Frank could be extended to any of the avatars of Legion. The question would be equally valid if one were to ask why didn't Lucy Butler kill Frank Black? She had more than opportunity to do just that. To query that though does confuse what Legion's mandate was. It was never to kill Frank but to lure him into their service willingly, something that can't be done if Frank is dead.

Eth

I totally agree. Frank was of no worth to anyone dead, it was his gift, or ability, they wanted stopped or controlled. He as a man was threat to them, but his ability, if theirs, would be an asset. Frank's visions and interference always slowed Legion's plans down, or stopped them.

I always felt Mabius was more secretive that he/she/them should have been. Viewers don't mind alittle not knowing, but we got too much of it regarding Mabius, who I believe really was part of Legion, and possibly why we were left so much in the dark.