Millenium Group Assassin

Rate this topic

Guest Homer B. Petty

We bring Frank Black back every time we discuss his character, an episode, or anything pertaining to MLM. And what is so awesome about this show, is you can watch the episodes over and over again and never get tired of them. Definitely one of the best shows ever on TV. :notworthy:

Mabius on the other hand, is creepy. :woot:

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Of course we keep talking about Millennium and Frank Black, and Legion, and whatever. It was an extraordinary TV show for its time, and it's that kind of show that keeps enthralling and challenging people for a long time. It doesn't surprise any of us old-timers that people are still discovering this show and registering here to discuss their reactions.

I think in terms of what CC knew about what M&W were doing, you need to look further to justify your comments.

As far as us being Beatles fans wanting a reunion: I'm not stupid, thank you very much, and neither are MM fans. I could relate a particular personal experience of my own Beatlemania, which would resonate with MM fans as it would be not solely about the group/show but about how I experienced the phenomenon and how that related to my personal life at the time, but you won't be back here to read about it, will you?

Given the fact Lance is still doing movies, I would say that the age issue is the least of factors to hinder a movie.

Millennium is one of the few shows that dives head-on in to the nature of evil to the point of giving it a name, as well as a "face," as Mike Atkins put it. It's a show which knew which threads to leave dangling, which is one reason why I think we're still talking about it!

:rock2:

• Like 1

I couldn't agree with you more on your last sentence. That is one of the finer points of Millennium (of which there are many) is that it had such a fantastic sense of when to give and when to held back in terms of engaging the viewer to think for themselves. In "Lost", for example, the lack of resolution to a number of significant parts of the narrative resulted in ire from the viewers. They misjudged in terms of how much ambiguity they could get away with. In Millennium, a lack of the obvious ("Bardo Thodol" et. al.) simply inspires the viewers to employ a lot of creative thinking (and even a little googling) and the dialogue between the viewer and the episode continues long after it ends. The same can said for a great many of the episodes that have inspired pages of speculative thinking here and elsewhere over the years.

One of the show's writers once said (and I'll quote it directly as soon as his interview is out) that the genius of Chris Carter was knowing how and when to keep his viewers on their toes, always guessing and never complacent with the plot.

Eth

• Like 1

Yes. All the buildup in the world doesn't mean anything if you're stuck with a complicated mess and a lousy ending to boot!

I never got into Lost and from what I can tell from the show, I would need to start from episode 1 (again!) and probably watch each episode multiple times. From what I have read about it, it looks like Lost makes Doctor Who's "Big Bang" look simple! I sometimes like that complicated stuff, but it requires reeeeeealy good writing! I even felt that Battlestar Galactica was getting a bit too complicated and "X-Files-esque" or "Lost-esque" towards the end.

I'm glad Millennium avoided time travel and left that to the Doctor !!!

But if the tardis materializes as a red jeep cherokee, we are in big trouble, unless he's bringing back the show!

To be truthful where there is a lot of superb drama and dangling carrots in the first five season of "Lost" but the grand reveal at the end of it comes completely out of the blue so that only season six is needed to discover what the mystery was all about. Little happens in the first five season (in terms of the ongoing mysteries the viewers were following) that find resolution in those closing episode. Imagine watching seasons one, two and three of Millennium for the final episode to pull The Cigarette Smoking Man out of a hat and proclaim him the reason for everything you had seen. That's pretty much what "Lost" did sadly.

"The Big Bang" was a muddled affair wasn't it? I'm not a fan of 'just because' narratives and it did seem to me to have more than one 'just because' moments. That said the whole season felt inconsistent in terms of quality but I guess that's simply the effect of a new creative team taking time to bed-in.

I know people say that Millennium has a few plot points unresolved but that was merely because the show was yanked off air before every 'i' could be dotted and every 't' could be crossed. Sadly the same can not be said of some other shows which simply suffer from poor writing.

Eth

I know people say that Millennium has a few plot points unresolved but that was merely because the show was yanked off air before every 'i' could be dotted and every 't' could be crossed. Sadly the same can not be said of some other shows which simply suffer from poor writing.

Et

You can say that again. MLM had the best writers. And I must add that we have had some form of closure, like with the X-File episode, and the fan movie MLM Apoc...

So J.J Abrams screwed up Lost AND Star Trek! It sounds like season 6 of Lost is like Star Trek in that it has very little to do with what came before it. I see a pattern developing...

Oh well, to each his/her own. If you like it, more power to you! Peace!

I guess it could be said that Millennium had a bit of an out because of its cancellation regarding an ending, but it was episodic enough to hold its own throughout the process.

I'm glad I stuck with Millennium!

More power to you indeed. :notworthy:

Actually the blame can't be laid at his door, certainly not in terms of "Lost". As far as I know he really only had a great deal to do with the first season of the show. It was Damon Lindelhof and Carlton Cruise that took over the running of the show from season two onwards. I guess whether they mucked things up is subjective as well. I am sure there are a contingent of "Lost" fans who would conclude that ending was satisfactory it's just that I'm not one of them.

Mind you, I do remember the probably baseless rumours from io9 that he was being considered for an X-Files reboot (what's Fringe if not that I ask you) so if he takes on another major franchise we'll have to see if he makes a Star Trek out of that one as well.

Eth