Abyss Ratings for "Blood Relatives" through "Loin Like a Hunting Flame"

Rate this topic

Guest ZeusFaber

What do you think of the Millennial Abyss' Episode Scores?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Feel free to opine on your choices too.
ZF - good post here...in reviewing your scathing criticism of "The Hand of St. Sebastian" it reminded me of just how much it echoed my sentiments about "The Wild and The Innocent"...to me, clearly the worst episode of any season...

4th Horseman..

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
ZF - good post here...in reviewing your scathing criticism of "The Hand of St. Sebastian" it reminded me of just how much it echoed my sentiments about "The Wild and The Innocent"...to me, clearly the worst episode of any season...

4th Horseman..

Hey, there looks like a lot of agreement in the poll so far...... If there are any episodes that I have had a similar degree of dislike for (other than 13 Years Later), it would probably be Human Essence.

Guest ZeusFaber

I didn't much care for this episode either. I dislike it for different reasons to "The Hand of St. Sebastian" though. That was objectionable and toe-curling, whereas "The Wild and The Innocent" was just dull in my opinion.

As a result, I wouldn't call it the worst of any season, but it's certainly a candidate for the worst of S1 for me.

• 3 years later...

The Wild and The Innocent and Loin Loke A Hunting Flame are probably my least favorite episodes of season 1. Wide Open was one of the first episodes I saw. I thought the idea of the killer hiding in the houses for sale to be creepy in a realistic way. Wild, Loin, and Lock had more predictable endings, where Weeds and Blood Relatives had better, more surprising endings. Wide open was somewhere in the middle, ending-wise, but the beginning was shocking with the little girl and what she was going through and how that plot point played on throughout the entire episode.

Actually, now that I've though further about it, the ending of Wide Open was good and creepy, not because of the killer, but because of what it did to the little girl, when they showed the pictures on the wall. Will she make it as a result of what happened to her? Bletcher said yes, but the camera angle to the pictures implies that he may be wrong...

"The Wild and The Innocent" is where season one really drops the ball in my opinion. It's one I don't often revisit and it's certainly one of the most pedestrian Millennium episodes. I have to say Heather McComb was superb as Maddie and as far as television goes it isn't a bad episode, it's just not such a great Millennium episode.

Eth

It's always hard for me to pick and choose because I really don't like to compare. With so many different writers and directions they can go into, each episode really does stand out by itself. But, alas, I did vote, but I don't agree that "The Wild and Innocent," is really all that bad. It just didn't have much to do with Frank, it was more about Maddie and Angel. I believe it depends upon our individual past experiences, as to how we view the episodes. I viewed this episode as a woman and mother, whereas a single male with no children would see this episode completely different. It's all in the perspective.

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

Oh no you didn't Mark, lol The Wild and the Innocent is my absolutely faviorite episode from season 1 :) I love it, it is so emotional and the connection between Frank and Maddie is so close to a father daughter relationship that she will ever know, i love her reading the letters, it is so emotional and heartwarming and as all mothers would know, you will do anything for your child and the ending is superb! She will do anything to save her son and realizes that he is in the right place where he is at and not with her and the no good boyfriend and I completely understand why she shot and killed him, i would have done the same thing. :) Love the episode, it really shows Frank as a compassionate loving father type. :)

Laura :)

Guest SpooktalkGiGi

It's always hard for me to pick and choose because I really don't like to compare. With so many different writers and directions they can go into, each episode really does stand out by itself. But, alas, I did vote, but I don't agree that "The Wild and Innocent," is really all that bad. It just didn't have much to do with Frank, it was more about Maddie and Angel. I believe it depends upon our individual past experiences, as to how we view the episodes. I viewed this episode as a woman and mother, whereas a single male with no children would see this episode completely different. It's all in the perspective.

I completely agree Nut, you really have to be a parent to understand this episode. :) It is all about the bond betweeen mother and child. :) the strongest bond there is. :)

Laura :)

Now that's an interesting point. Maybe it is the experience of being a mother that gives the narrative a volume it doesn't have for other viewers. Certainly looking back through the forum it seems that ladies who have children find this episode more compelling than, as Darlene says, men that don't.

Thank you for raising a point I hadn't considered before.

Eth