Abyss Ratings for "Blood Relatives" through "Loin Like a Hunting Flame"

Rate this topic

Guest ZeusFaber

What do you think of the Millennial Abyss' Episode Scores?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest WaveCrest

I watched "Wide Open" a few months ago on DVD, and found it to be overall an average episode and one of the disappointing episodes from the first half of season one. However, reading what IHaveGoodInstincts said about the ending has made me think about it again. I am being a bit harsh on what I said about it being an average episode. It was just that on one side it had some creepy and suspenseful moments and scenes. And on the other side it felt like there wasn't a lot of substance to it. It was an entertaining drama and thriller but I just didn't feel it was one of the season's best. The end where Frank and Bletch are at the house, wasn't how I originally remember seeing it on ITV. I thought Frank and the killer had a fight/tussle on the first floor landing, with the killer going through the ballistrades and onto the glass table in the hallway below. But it was slightly different to what I remembered. Bletch lets go of the dog and it goes straight for the killer and he falls onto the glass table in the hallway.

Frank and the killer had their tussle in the bedroom where two people were tied up. Franks sees his reflection in the window and tries to react. After Frank got hit by whatever the killer was swinging, he left the room and ra into the hallway. the dog then looks to have ran up another set of steps (gotta love those big houses with 2 staircases!) and jumped on the killer knocking him over the half-wall and onto the foyer below.

Wide Open had a predictable ending for the most part. The ending (before the foyer-crash) did have that dark-and-creepy aspect seen in several season 1 episodes where you knew something was going to happen, you just didn't know from where or when, which can make it really scary.

I don't consider this season 1's best, but it worked for me as a good episode. It was good enough to reel me in as a fan!

As far as "The Wild and the Innocent" goes, it just is not one of my favorites, but it is still a solid episode with no huge plot holes. The show in general has enough different topical flavors to draw different preferences in. I think we each have different styles we like, but see the good in the ones we may not like as much. Being a Battlestar Galactica fan, having Michael Hogan in it was a recent draw to this episode for me.