Abyss Ratings for "Jose Chung's 'Doomsday Defence'" through "The Pest House"

Rate this topic

Guest ZeusFaber

What do you think of the Millennial Abyss' Episode Scores?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Laurent.

I try not to judge movies (and TV shows) by the level of realism, especially horror and science-fiction. Maybe Avatar had to move a little bit too fast to make all the stuff that you mentioned but the episode is so well put together that I don't really care about a mistake like this. By this point in the episode I'm usually at the edge of my seat, maybe sweating a little, Avatar could do a bit of breakdance and it wouldn't hook me off the show.

And about the motivation and [lack of] complexity in Avatar, I think this is what makes this episode frightening. A murder can be committed, yet you don't know where or who the victim is and you don't have any sort of info to help you find the killer. Not a clue on his motivations except the fact that he gets off in blatantly showing a weakness in our system. He's a strange individual and that's about all you know! I would have loved to see him return for one show.

Edited by Laurent.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I try not to judge movies (and TV shows) by the level of realism, especially horror and science-fiction. Maybe Avatar had to move a little bit too fast to make all the stuff that you mentioned but the episode is so well put together that I don't really care about a mistake like this. By this point in the episode I'm usually at the edge of my seat, maybe sweating a little, Avatar could do a bit of breakdance and it wouldn't hook me off the show.

And about the motivation and [lack of] complexity in Avatar, I think this is what makes this episode frightening. A murder can be committed, yet you don't know where or who the victims is and you don't have any sort of info to help you find the killer. Not a clue on his motivations except the fact that he gets off in blatantly showing a weakness in our system. He's a strange individual and that's about all you know! I would have loved to see him return for one show.

Very well said. The episode was so good that I didn't really take note of any of the little "problems", for lack of a better word, until several viewings later, and these little problems were forgivable when you consider the over all product.

Guest Doll
MIB - i think you will have a slightly different viewpoint when you go back and review. They shared a common bond, each to their own gifts, seperate yet striving for the same purpose. It was certainly not blatently overt, and i still feel it was more onesided towards Lara, but there were moments when it seemed glimpses of attraction...again, ZF and i have a different perception...

4th

I was watching these episodes about a week ago & I did find myself wondering the same thing. First I was thinking, in the case of motc, that the handholding was just friendly supportiveness but just a second before Frank pulls away he looks just the slightest bit uncomfortable. Since I hadn't really noticed if he had ever been kind of "affectionate" (like a pat on the back) with other friends, I started to mull it over. Was he not comfortable b/c that just wasn't his thing or was the comfort level indicative of his being aware that if he let himself, he could possibly develop strong feelings for Lara. If it was the latter & he's aware that she seems to be saying, "If your ever on the market, give me a call," those two factors would decrease his comfort level when she was holding his hand. Sometimes we don't like a situation or comment not b/c of what's actually going on, but b/c of some internal feelings, thoughts, or past experiences of our own. Not that he was starting to fall for her, but a lot of people know when there's a little ember there and decide whether to keep it in check or let it catch & see what happens.

While at the same time I was thinking he wouldn't ever violate his vows while being married, sometimes even the best matches who've been together for a very long time fall out of love w/ea other. I think Frank would work at his relationship w/Catherine until he died, if she didn't divorce him. If subconciously it was his opinion that he & Catherine were more likely to go their separate ways, b/c of what she wanted, he might've been more likely to be vulnerable to the subtleties of any cues that Lara may have given.

She herself said that her experiences were that people she instantly liked turned out to be bad choices as friends & people she was @ odds w/,when they originally met, turned out to be the best friends she'd had.

I noticed that Frank & Catherine's relationship is based on emotional & spiritual connections. As a woman who values the other physical aspects of relationships & hearing what a lot of women restrict when their guy does even the slighest wrong (why I've never grasped) - I'm inclined to believe that Catherine controls that particualr outlet & given any opportunities Frank's all for (& is particularly good at) accomodating her.

He should definitely be in more romantic situations in the movie than he was on past episodes! :kissypoo:

Guest Laurent.

That's funny but I never thought of Millennium as a romantic show. To me the romance between Frank and Catherine was just there to contrast with the killer/victim relationship; like the yellow house with the dark alleys and forests.

• 1 year later...
Guest paranoid eyes

I had other plans for this evening but since I love the Halloween decorations I think I will stick around for a little longer. JCDD and Midnight of the Century were good episodes in there own right but they were such a radical departure from the shows original atmosphere that I found it hard to enjoy them. And the fact they were shown one after the other didn't help. I would appreciate an episode like this- more relaxing and funny- after some typical disturbing season 1. I think the next time I'll watch the show I will squeeze JCDD after Kingdom Come and MOTC somewhere between Thin White Line, the Sacrament and the Covenant. I was so longing for the return to the dark atmosphere, serious topics and realistic killers that I probably gave Good Bye Charlie more credit than it deserved. I'm probably in a minority not liking Luminary. It felt like listening to a friend describing their vacation and showing the photos. Sure it's interesting to find out they had an accident and almost died and Alaska looked magnificent but it's not enough of a 45 minutes episode

(I wanted to put a yawning face here but I have trouble finding one) .

The only think I really liked was the loyalty Catherine and Peter shown towards Frank. And Mikado is amazing, my favorite episode right now. The Pest House is no competition for it but it got really scary towards the end.

To sum up : Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense 4/5

Midnight of the Century 3/5

Good bye Charlie 4/5

Luminary 2/5

Mikado 5/5 ( five plus actually)

Pest House 3/5