Abyss Ratings for "Owls" through "A Room With No View"

Rate this topic

Guest ZeusFaber

What do you think of the Millennial Abyss' Episode Scores?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Not so fond of "Anamnesis" myself, as a Lara Means episode. I'd give it a 3.

I kind of agree, but it is starting to grow on me. At one point, I had considered it one of the few stinker episodes, but I have realized that it had more to do with personal preference and interest than it did with the actual quality of the show. It took me a few viewings, but it has finally broken into the "OK" category with me, and I too would give it a solid 3. However, looking at it objectively, and scoring it on quality, writing, acting etc, I can see where some would give it higher ratings.

Guest ZeusFaber

Yes, it does have redeeming qualities, but some of the writing is a little muddled. For example, one could ask how the young girl knows anything of Catherine's history with the Polaroid Man, but more importantly, I feel the situation in the teaser never quite pays off when the point comes back around in the episode. I think, on this occassion, the choice of usuing that structural device was flawed -- it set up a story about high-school shootings, but the episode played out something totally different, as if it had been pitched as one thing then morphed into something else during the scripting process.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Yes, it does have redeeming qualities, but some of the writing is a little muddled. For example, one could ask how the young girl knows anything of Catherine's history with the Polaroid Man, but more importantly, I feel the situation in the teaser never quite pays off when the point comes back around in the episode. I think, on this occassion, the choice of usuing that structural device was flawed -- it set up a story about high-school shootings, but the episode played out something totally different, as if it had been pitched as one thing then morphed into something else during the scripting process.

Hey, it sounds like we are finally in agreement on an episode ole polar opposite of mine :oneeyedwinK There were some flaws for sure. Unfortunately, I can't offer much input about the fine details because, although I have given it a couple of additional chances after its initial airing, it remains one of the few episodes that I never really find myself in the mood for. Before the DVD release, I would have said "ughh, I hated that episode", but as mentioned, I have grown to appreciate it, and this is probably due, at least in part, to the fact that several members here are so high on it. This inspired me to go back and give it a fair shake, and has lead me to some not so ringing endorsements, such as "It's not so bad" and "it's not quite a stinker". It also gets a nice bump (in my book) from having so much of the lovely Kristen Cloke.

Guest ZeusFaber

I wouldn't say I hate it, but it's certainly pretty low on my list, especially since there's no Frank Black.

Another thing that I find a little silly about the episode is the whole barefoot-dancing sequence around a set of religious symbols in the teaser. It makes no sense whatsoever, is never addressed in the context of the episode, and smacks of just throwing anything together so they can use the Patty Smith song "Dancing Barefoot" because it would be cool.

As for Kristen Cloke, I never liked her character in the show, and have never really found to be all that much of a good actress.

Guest colts45

you never get enough of bashing morgan and wong do you zues?, actually since ive been re watching the series i have noticed that they "tried to shove jesus down our throats" oh in the vs5 will we find out what happend with lara ? and about her gift if she even had one?

Guest ZeusFaber
you never get enough of bashing morgan and wong do you zues?,

LOL. I wouldn't exactly call it "bashing" myself, more legitimate criticism. This isn't directed at M&W this time though, since "Anamnesis" was written by Erin Maher and Kay Reindl.

oh in the vs5 will we find out what happend with lara ? and about her gift if she even had one?

I'll put that in the next blog Q&A.

As for Kristen Cloke, I never liked her character in the show, and have never really found to be all that much of a good actress.

Have to disagree. I think the character of Lara Means as written, is one of the most original I’ve ever seen. Kristen pulled her off beautifully. I can’t imagine another actress who could have put into it all the intricate details of personality that would go into someone on the edge of a breakdown. Everything you saw of Lara, the desperate longing for a normal life, was in conflict with her supernatural experiences.

Kristen never played her over the top. She was always quietly controlled. Anamnesis was one of the few episodes in which you saw her shed tears. And it was appropriate because she believed Clare was a prophet and unlike Lara had accepted her gift. As for Clare knowing about Catherine’s encounter with the Polaroid man, in the context of the story, she was of the bloodline of Christ. This is pretty much what prophets do. She told Catherine that the PM spoke the truth.

I can appreciate you didn’t care for the story. I just think Kristen nailed this role.

Guest ZeusFaber

That's fair enough. I just found the way she was written as a usurping force in Frank's life over Catherine to be highly objectionable, along with the annoying dialogue trait of "here's my thing" which was shoehorned into almost every situation, even when it felt completely non-naturalistic and even when it didn't make gramatical sense to the rest of her sentence.

Kristen Cloke wasn't awful in the part by any means (no pun intended), but her other roles have left me rather dubious, and I can imagine better actresses.

That's fair enough. I just found the way she was written as a usurping force in Frank's life over Catherine to be highly objectionable, along with the annoying dialogue trait of "here's my thing" which was shoehorned into almost every situation, even when it felt completely non-naturalistic and even when it didn't make gramatical sense to the rest of her sentence.

Kristen Cloke wasn't awful in the part by any means (no pun intended), but her other roles have left me rather dubious, and I can imagine better actresses.

I wish I could disagree but the ‘heres my thing’ did make me wince a little bit. Might be that Lance felt the same way since in a later episode he almost teasingly adds - “Here’s MY thing….”

Er, there was no pun intended there either.

:embarassed:

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I wouldn't say I hate it, but it's certainly pretty low on my list, especially since there's no Frank Black.

Another thing that I find a little silly about the episode is the whole barefoot-dancing sequence around a set of religious symbols in the teaser. It makes no sense whatsoever, is never addressed in the context of the episode, and smacks of just throwing anything together so they can use the Patty Smith song "Dancing Barefoot" because it would be cool.

Oops, that agreement thing didn't last long. Well, actually I do agree with your additional thoughts on the episode, but we are back to the polar opposite thing on Kristen Cloke. I loved her on the series, and was devastated when she wasn't back for S3, although it wasn't a huge surprise, given her state in the final S2 episode. Still though, Frank came back from the brink, so it would have been interesting to see Lara do the same, but it wasn't meant to be for many reasons. I'm glad to see Kristen reemerge recently in some projects, and I just saw a TV add for Black Christmas, which is coming soon. I don't understand how people can criticize her acting abilities, but I do realize that this sentiment exists among people here and in the business. I thought she was stunning in "The Field Where I Died" in X-files, and thought she was also extremely good in MM, as well as what little I have seen her in before and after MM. I was just treated to an appearance by her in Final Destination, a film that I had never seen until last week, and that I found surprisingly pretty good. I have to confess that my opinion of her probably is skewed a little by her immense beauty. She was probably my second favorite character on MM. It's either her or Watts.