Abyss Ratings for "Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me" through "Exegesis"

Rate this topic

Guest ZeusFaber

What do you think of the Millennial Abyss' Episode Scores?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
MIB - SHOCKING NEWS .... I actually agree on "The Fourth Horseman" and "The Time is Now"...Morgan and Wong hit the nail on the head...(OOOHH that hurts to say that :death::cry: ), i thought those were fantastic season enders and only wished that the entire S2 could have been done with such excellence...two of the strongest epis of any season...Of course, at the time neither M nor W had any knowledge that a 3rd season would be in order, so their hands were tied a bit with having to come up with a possible last show...Catherine's death i thought was done very well, man, it gets to me everytime i see her look at Jordan for the last time...Thanks to a last minute reprieve, we got S3 and "The Sound of Snow" which filled in the gaps, ones that M&W really had no time, thru no fault of their own, to incorporate into "The Time is Now"...

4th Horseman...

Wow, that's a first, and I agree with your points as well. The scene where Catherine takes a final look at Jordan and goes off into the woods to die is one of the most poignant scenes of the series. Thank God we did get season three, and I agree, Sound of Snow filled in the gaps nicely, not to mention being one of the best episodes all around. Morgan and Wong would have been proud. :oneeyedwinK

Guest Moriarty
ZF - you mean the Patty Smith stuff 9 minute "gee, since the script is a bit short, lets think of something to fill it with" scene??? I agree, thats the only real weakness of either episode...i can understand and appreciate the intent, but it could have been seriously reduced to 2-3 minutes and the message would have still been the same...I found myself becoming increasingly annoyed as it droned on and on...

4th Horseman...

I rewatched TTIN last night and for me the sequence did work. I just love it. It was fresh and exciting. You are correct when you say that the script was a bit short but that was done intentionally I believe. At that time such a sequence was completely new in the television world. Just my opinion.

Guest ZeusFaber
ZF - you mean the Patty Smith stuff 9 minute "gee, since the script is a bit short, lets think of something to fill it with" scene??? I agree, thats the only real weakness of either episode...i can understand and appreciate the intent, but it could have been seriously reduced to 2-3 minutes and the message would have still been the same...I found myself becoming increasingly annoyed as it droned on and on...

Same here. I found myself praying for it to end before my toe-nails drew blood from the souls of my feet through curling over so far. I like the Patti Smith track, it's good to listen to, but playing it in its entirety and accompanying it with images which interpret it in a far too literal manner (the song says "a place called space" and we see... space!) is a waste of precious air-time.

Same here. I found myself praying for it to end before my toe-nails drew blood from the souls of my feet through curling over so far. I like the Patti Smith track, it's good to listen to, but playing it in its entirety and accompanying it with images which interpret it in a far too literal manner (the song says "a place called space" and we see... space!) is a waste of precious air-time.
guess you could say "a waste of space"?....

4th Horseman..

Guest ZeusFaber

LOL, you could.

Imagine what other quality scenes we might have had in that act with Lance Henriksen, Terry O'Quinn, or Megan Gallagher showing of their talents. They could have had the best of both worlds with a shortened Patti Smith video plus some extra drama, but instead it just eats up the time.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
LOL, you could.

Imagine what other quality scenes we might have had in that act with Lance Henriksen, Terry O'Quinn, or Megan Gallagher showing of their talents. They could have had the best of both worlds with a shortened Patti Smith video plus some extra drama, but instead it just eats up the time.

Saying this scene just eats up time is like saying a Renoir painting just takes up space. :oneeyedwinK

Guest betweenthelines

I didn't think the Patti Smith sequence was "lazy" and "indulgent" at all. I thought it was very bold on the writers' part to put that in the episode. I doubt we'll be seeing something like that on TV again...

Guest SouthernCelt

Let me jump in this...

I've watched the S2 two-parter ending probably more than any other episodes except for Luminary (it just stands alone as far as I'm concerned). On the first run of the two shows, I found them to be very strong material for TV though IMHO appropriate for the mytharc that had been developed in S2. I was a bit taken aback at the amount of time devoted to the Lara break/Patti Smith soundtrack and the number of repeated video vignettes that they collaged into that segment; however, upon reviewing them that scene became the standout unique feature of the whole season. The whole scene could possibly be edited a bit and still create the same impact, but I now like it fine as it is.

I've forced my younger son to watch just that segment of the show (in an attempt to get him into MM) and though he found it intriguing coming from a prime time broadcast TV show, he didn't know enough about the S2 mytharc or Lara to fully 'get it'. He had been a big 'Twin Peaks' fan and I thought he might like some of the different wierdness of MM.

And yes, I agree that that the Sound of Snow episode in S3, while not necessary for the S3 mytharc or the future of the show, was much appreciated by series fans like me who felt a few things from S2 needed a bit of closure.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Let me jump in this...

I've watched the S2 two-parter ending probably more than any other episodes except for Luminary (it just stands alone as far as I'm concerned). On the first run of the two shows, I found them to be very strong material for TV though IMHO appropriate for the mytharc that had been developed in S2. I was a bit taken aback at the amount of time devoted to the Lara break/Patti Smith soundtrack and the number of repeated video vignettes that they collaged into that segment; however, upon reviewing them that scene became the standout unique feature of the whole season. The whole scene could possibly be edited a bit and still create the same impact, but I now like it fine as it is.

I've forced my younger son to watch just that segment of the show (in an attempt to get him into MM) and though he found it intriguing coming from a prime time broadcast TV show, he didn't know enough about the S2 mytharc or Lara to fully 'get it'. He had been a big 'Twin Peaks' fan and I thought he might like some of the different wierdness of MM.

And yes, I agree that that the Sound of Snow episode in S3, while not necessary for the S3 mytharc or the future of the show, was much appreciated by series fans like me who felt a few things from S2 needed a bit of closure.

Hmm, this is the first I have heard to a Twin Peaks fan not also enjoying Millennium. Maybe if you make him watch a couple full episodes it will catch on. I suggest tying him to a chair and making him watch season one disc one. If he isn't converted at this point, I would cut him loose as a potential MM fan and turn your recruiting efforts elsewhere. :oneeyedwinK By the way, I agree with your thoughts on the Patty Smith segment.