Borrowed Time & Zentropa

Rate this topic

Guest pentak

Please forgive me if this is an old observation (I searched the forum for mention of this but couldn't find anything) - but the ending of "Borrowed Time" , the train wreck specificially, was completely inspired by and/or an homage to, the Lars von Triere film "Zentropa" released in 1991.

Did anybody else catch that?

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Please forgive me if this is an old observation (I searched the forum for mention of this but couldn't find anything) - but the ending of "Borrowed Time" , the train wreck specificially, was completely inspired by and/or an homage to, the Lars von Triere film "Zentropa" released in 1991.

Did anybody else catch that?

I didn't know that, although I do remember the episode, or maybe it was the character Samiel, being compared to something else. I thought it was a book that some of the ideas were taken from. I had no idea it was an homage to a film. And by the way, I don't remember if I ever gave you a proper welcome to the board, so welcome. :hiya:

It was more the scenes at the end, with the counting: one, two, three, etc. - It's kinda hard to explain unless you've seen Zentropa - your local "cool" video store should have it on VHS (it was released in Europe & Asia as "Europa"). I highly recommend the film in general, if not just for the Millennium trivia aspect.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
It was more the scenes at the end, with the counting: one, two, three, etc. - It's kinda hard to explain unless you've seen Zentropa - your local "cool" video store should have it on VHS (it was released in Europe & Asia as "Europa"). I highly recommend the film in general, if not just for the Millennium trivia aspect.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I will have to take a look at my local "cool" video store, because the one I usually go to, Blockbuster, seems only to be interested in the "money makers", and swept out all the classic VHS oldies long ago in favor of DVDs. I doubt if there is a single VHS in there now, so I would probably be hard pressed to find Zentropa.

Guest SouthernCelt
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I will have to take a look at my local "cool" video store, because the one I usually go to, Blockbuster, seems only to be interested in the "money makers", and swept out all the classic VHS oldies long ago in favor of DVDs. I doubt if there is a single VHS in there now, so I would probably be hard pressed to find Zentropa.

Good luck, MIB. Most of the video rental places from the biggies like Blockbuster down to the little independents have done away with VHS altogether. A friend who rents a lot of movies (I think that's all he ever watches on TV) said the last time he went in to the nearest rental place, the clerk told him to just keep the tapes he'd rented because they were going to discard them if he returned them. If everything had been put on DVD it would be ok to do that, but there's some stuff that may never (in our lifetimes anyway) be considered in demand enough to be added to their rental inventory on disk.

Edited to add: HEY...MADE IT TO 1013...WHEN DO THE FIREWORKS GO OFF?

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Good luck, MIB. Most of the video rental places from the biggies like Blockbuster down to the little independents have done away with VHS altogether. A friend who rents a lot of movies (I think that's all he ever watches on TV) said the last time he went in to the nearest rental place, the clerk told him to just keep the tapes he'd rented because they were going to discard them if he returned them. If everything had been put on DVD it would be ok to do that, but there's some stuff that may never (in our lifetimes anyway) be considered in demand enough to be added to their rental inventory on disk.

Edited to add: HEY...MADE IT TO 1013...WHEN DO THE FIREWORKS GO OFF?

Hey, a facet of legion. :Congrats: Yes, I have noticed this "weeding out" of VHS. The Mammoth by my house still has a decent supply of VHS for $1 a week, but they also have a great many that are for sale for $4.99 and not for rental. I doubt that anyone is likely to buy any of them for that price. It is unfortunate that so many movies will not be available for rental on DVD because they are not popular enough. People kind of look down on VHS these days, but if you want something that is not on DVD and is hard to find on VHS, many times people want outrageous amounts of money for them on Amazon or Ebay. I guess it all comes down to supply vs. demand, but I will go without before I give someone $25 for a worn out VHS because it's hard to find.

• 2 months later...

I checked MM's imdb site, on the page for this episode it shows the Time-borrower's called "Samiel"??? I cant recall any mention of it when i watched it. Did i miss something??

ps. just realised the actor who played him (Eric Mabius) is playing the hunk in Ugly Betty (i cant help it ok)...

Guest ZeusFaber

Samiel, or Sammael, is the name of this particular angel, having also appeared in a different form in "Powers, Principalities, Thrones and Dominions". In both episodes, the name is never stated on screen, but it is attributed to them in script and cast lists.

This preserves a layer of subtelty that I think is one of the show's greatest virtues.

Samiel, or Sammael, is the name of this particular angel, having also appeared in a different form in "Powers, Principalities, Thrones and Dominions". In both episodes, the name is never stated on screen, but it is attributed to them in script and cast lists.

This preserves a layer of subtelty that I think is one of the show's greatest virtues.

Cheers for the explaination, ZeusFaber. I did get the name in "Powers, Principalities, Thrones and Dominions" cos he called himself Sammael in the car park killing scene, i was just confused in Borrowed-time because nothing was mentioned....

Guest ZeusFaber

That's true, it is announced in "PPTaD". Costume and action are enough to give it away in "Borrowed Time" though, but the cast list makes sure.