A somewhat metaphysical discussion of string theory

Guest SouthernCelt

Guest SouthernCelt

UNSTRUNG: In string theory, beauty is truth, truth beauty. Is that really all we need to know?

================

ALIENS BEAT UP BOB Sounds like a plot element for a straight-to-video sci fi movie.

================

'Smiling Woman' ghost at the Myrtles? Interesting photo, this place is within a hundred miles of where I live. I suppose if you squint and wish really hard, you can see what the picture-taker says is there.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elders (Admins)
UNSTRUNG: In string theory, beauty is truth, truth beauty. Is that really all we need to know?

This looks interesting, not just for the possible science involved, but also the background to scientific investigations which are just as much susceptible to fashions, personal bickering and social attitudes as anything else.

ALIENS BEAT UP BOB Sounds like a plot element for a straight-to-video sci fi movie.

Nope, can't go along with this one, for reasons as set out below.

'Smiling Woman' ghost at the Myrtles? Interesting photo, this place is within a hundred miles of where I live. I suppose if you squint and wish really hard, you can see what the picture-taker says is there.

Well, I suppose I didn't squint enough or wish hard enough. The problem with these kinds of "evidence" is that we have brains/minds that seek patterns in what we see (and hear, touch, etc.). When we're faced with what looks like lots of blobs in an area of our visual field, we really need to figure out if it's a camouflaged sabre-toothed tiger. Since faces are the very first things we recognise as babies, they are what we tend to see in in these random blobs. I recall a few years ago reading about how someone "saw" a face in a tree, the branches and leaves somehow resembled the face of Princess Diana. I'm not mocking people who "see" these kinds of things, but I just wish they'd realise that what they are evidence of is how powerful the human brain/mind is.

Libby

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." Terry Pratchett

O.K. The theory thing was interesting.... Sounds a bit like Quantum leap or something....

The alien thing was pretty wild. The question is, are there police records of this event, so we know this isn't just some old guy making sh*t up?

And, with the last one, I agree there is Something there.... but how in the hell did anyone make that into a woman and her dog/cat? I swear, if you've got enough X Ray vision to tell that that's a woman and a small animal...I'd think you could say for sure if it's a cat or a dog? Wouldn't you?

I am a believer...don't get me wrong. I just think some people take it to extreams.

Like one time, Terry told me about this meeting, called "Walking the Threasholds"....with a friend .... just for kicks.... There were actualy people there who believed they were decended from Elves, fairies....even Unicorns! (needless to say, he did NOT go back)

I believe in the POSSIBILITY of re-incarnation, but you'll never hear me say I am the re-incarnation of Bilbo Baggins.

There is SOMETHING in that window...yes. Whether it is a spirit, or the fact that someone needs to clean the glass in that closed-off mansion, I cannot say.

================

================

Wayne...ever read "Chaos" by James Gleick? Its been made famous by "if a butterfly flaps its wings in China, the result is a hurricane in Florida"...i have heard of the string theory, but have not followed up on it to any great extent...on the other hand, i have read the Chaos book and find it to be quite interesting...

4th Horseman

"And behold, a pale horse, and he who sat on it, his name was Death. Hades followed with him. Authority over one fourth of the earth, to kill with the sword, with famine, with death, and by the wild animals of the earth was given to him." REV 6:8

fourthhorsemananimatedsigna3rr.gif

Guest SouthernCelt
Wayne...ever read "Chaos" by James Gleick? Its been made famous by "if a butterfly flaps its wings in China, the result is a hurricane in Florida"...i have heard of the string theory, but have not followed up on it to any great extent...on the other hand, i have read the Chaos book and find it to be quite interesting...

4th Horseman

Never read the book. Have heard some discussion of the specifics of the book, plus I've watched some of the PBS mini-series on string theory and I have to say they left me behind in a cloud of dust and totally lost. The problem with the whole concept is that I apparently don't have the ability to really visualize what the theory describes. It's a bit like trying to visualize infinity or eternity. Since everything we're familiar with has limits and boundaries, it's nearly impossible to visualize space without a border or time without end.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines