Lance Wants In Movie

Rate this topic

Henriksen Wants In On Near Dark Remake

Posted Oct 18th 2006 7:03PM by Matt Bradshaw

Filed under: Horror, DIY/Filmmaking, Remakes and Sequels

Like many fans of the original film, news that Michael Bay's production company Platinum Dunes was planning to remake the 1987 contemporary western/vampire film Near Dark caused my intestines to explode made me wince. An Armageddon-esque sensibility just doesn't seem to jive with this little indie horror flick. The original film was directed by Kathryn Bigelo and starred Adrian Pasdar (currently playing a Congressional candidate who can fly on NBC's Heroes) as a young man who is bitten by and falls in with a dysfunctional vampire "family" roaming America's heartland. The vampires were played by three recent alumni of James Cameron's Aliens: Lance Henriksen, Bill Paxton and Jenette Goldstein, as well as Jenny Wright and young Joshua Miller who was particularly memorable in River's Edge.

According to Sci Fi Wire, though, one person who is excited about the remake (which has been discussed previously on Cinematical) is Lance Henriksen. The veteran actor of many a horror flick and TV shows was quite tickled at the notion. "Oh, man, I hadn't heard that," Henriksen said in an interview. "It's one of my favorites, Near Dark. If they were smart, what they would do is get a hold of Bill Paxton, Jenette Goldstein and me, and do something that starts as a prequel to Near Dark. They need to have a conversation with us, because, man, Billy Paxton and I have been talking about this, about what we would do, if we did a prequel. And really great stuff came up. So it would be very wise of them to connect us."

I'm not clear on how this would work since these supposedly immortal vampires are now twenty years older than they were when the first film was shot, and Henriksen is talking prequel. Still, Bay's company could do a lot worse than get some input from the actors who originated these characters, right?

Guest SouthernCelt
Henriksen Wants In On Near Dark Remake

Posted Oct 18th 2006 7:03PM by Matt Bradshaw

Filed under: Horror, DIY/Filmmaking, Remakes and Sequels

Like many fans of the original film, news that Michael Bay's production company Platinum Dunes was planning to remake the 1987 contemporary western/vampire film Near Dark caused my intestines to explode made me wince. An Armageddon-esque sensibility just doesn't seem to jive with this little indie horror flick. The original film was directed by Kathryn Bigelo and starred Adrian Pasdar (currently playing a Congressional candidate who can fly on NBC's Heroes) as a young man who is bitten by and falls in with a dysfunctional vampire "family" roaming America's heartland. The vampires were played by three recent alumni of James Cameron's Aliens: Lance Henriksen, Bill Paxton and Jenette Goldstein, as well as Jenny Wright and young Joshua Miller who was particularly memorable in River's Edge.

According to Sci Fi Wire, though, one person who is excited about the remake (which has been discussed previously on Cinematical) is Lance Henriksen. The veteran actor of many a horror flick and TV shows was quite tickled at the notion. "Oh, man, I hadn't heard that," Henriksen said in an interview. "It's one of my favorites, Near Dark. If they were smart, what they would do is get a hold of Bill Paxton, Jenette Goldstein and me, and do something that starts as a prequel to Near Dark. They need to have a conversation with us, because, man, Billy Paxton and I have been talking about this, about what we would do, if we did a prequel. And really great stuff came up. So it would be very wise of them to connect us."

I'm not clear on how this would work since these supposedly immortal vampires are now twenty years older than they were when the first film was shot, and Henriksen is talking prequel. Still, Bay's company could do a lot worse than get some input from the actors who originated these characters, right?

If I were the one pushing this, I'd jump on Lance's suggestion with both feet and get the whole crew back for whatever they wanted to do. Might even let Paxton direct.