Spin off showcase

Rate this topic

Guest Jordan

And hey, there's something Millenniumistic in that -- Eliza Dushku grew up (and, to my knowledge, remains) a Mormon; another one of those oppressive cult-like religions.

But I think she's not a die-hard Mormon by the type of roles she does and the things she deos in TV and movies.  She did the sex scene on Buffy, and some of her relatives didn't speak to her for two weeks.  So I don't think she cares what the Mormons do anymore.

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

Guest LauraKrycek
But I think she's not a die-hard Mormon by the type of roles she does and the things she deos in TV and movies.  She did the sex scene on Buffy, and some of her relatives didn't speak to her for two weeks.  So I don't think she cares what the Mormons do anymore.

Well, from having been a Mormon, I can tell you that you can be a fairly hardcore Mormon and still do that stuff.  I know two Mormons who got pregnant out of wedlock this summer and had to quickly get married, but it was already too late for them to be sealed in the Temple.  Should they stay together that long (hah), they won't be able to be sealed now until their baby's 8.  And if they have any more babies after that, it can't be until thatbaby's 8.  And et cetera.

Well, from having been a Mormon, I can tell you that you can be a fairly hardcore Mormon and still do that stuff.  I know two Mormons who got pregnant out of wedlock this summer and had to quickly get married, but it was already too late for them to be sealed in the Temple.  Should they stay together that long (hah), they won't be able to be sealed now until their baby's 8.  And if they have any more babies after that, it can't be until thatbaby's 8.  And et cetera.

I'm glad I'm not part of any organized religion and I will never be part of one ever.

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

Guest LauraKrycek
I'm glad I'm not part of any organized religion and I will never be part of one ever.

It can be some crazy stuff.  I'd be fine with attending a church; it's the giving your life up for the earthly stuff that I don't get.  I think that as long as you live a good life and follows those basic "good" rules, then there's no necessity to attend a church service.  You can go to church all you want and still not be good, but it's the deeds that speak for themselves.

It can be some crazy stuff.  I'd be fine with attending a church; it's the giving your life up for the earthly stuff that I don't get.  I think that as long as you live a good life and follows those basic "good" rules, then there's no necessity to attend a church service.  You can go to church all you want and still not be good, but it's the deeds that speak for themselves.

.........laura,you literaly snatched those words right out of my mouth!-(well,okay not "literaly" :~)    and while my spirituality is a very complex thing and has many ever evolving facets,what you just said is a central core belief of mine,no matter what else may change as the journey goes along.  ...we also seem alike in the sense that we-(and i'm sure many-many others of course)-don't feel the need to where our particular belief systems or ideologies on our sleeves,but at the same time is not afraid to comment on them when moved to.     BRAVO!  :plain_big:

~se7en   :ouro:

......i never said the show was not based on elements of fantasy or did not have fantastical elements. it does and that's part of the reason why i love it so. but you're right i should have used a different word in describing my intense dislike of the final 1/3 of S2.  it was more like the farther S2 went along the more it lost focus and,for me,beleivability-(i know that CAN'T be spelled right!).   i should have used the word "CAMP" and/or parody.          ...i hate answering this in a rush because i may not be wording this as intended,but i wanted to at least give you the courtesy of some sort of reply before i have to "run".

...i'll just end this intial response by saying that MM being interlaced with elements of the fantastic is a sweet thing,especially the legion mytharc,etc. but MM "AS" fantasy just ruins it for me. and had that storyline been continued in S3 i truy beleive that MM would have completely lost what it was originally all about,or at least what it was all about "for me" anyway.

~PEACE,

se7en :ouro:

Ah, I see where you stand with this.  The difference between fantastical elements in a world that mirrors our own, that we can identify with, as compared to fantastical elements in a disparate reality.

I, personally, didn't dislike Season 2, I enjoyed every part of it.  But as for its resolution and the way that it was handled in Season 3..

Would a post-apocalyptic Season 3 have worked?  I can't say for certain.  There's no way of telling where Morgan & Wong would have taken the show, had they been the ones to continue for the third season.  What I do know is this: One of the many impressive traits of this series is its ability to reinvent itself.  While there were running threads throughout the life of the entire show, Season 1 is very different from Season 2, which in turn is very different from Season 3 (A season which I don't dislike entirely - more on that later).  Had it been decided that the show would turn to that form, for the third season, I have more confidence than you that the strength of the characters, and the quality of writing would have kept things feeling "real".  Yes, it would have been a very different show, but to reiterate myself - Millennium was a very different show with each passing year, ANYWAY.  (Who is to say where the fourth season would have gone?)

So, I believe that such a fantastical setting, having evolved from such a realistic setting could have worked, although I can't be certain that it would have.

As for where we went in Season 3.  I enjoy this season, particularly "Borrowed Time" and the year's second half.  It's not that the first half is particularly awful (with the exception of "Human Essence"), but is somewhat uneven.

Continuity is important, for me.  A little hazing of the lines, I can live with, but personally, otherwise good episodes such as "Skull and Bones" are ruined when they just don't fit in with what has gone before.  (Now, I realise that you feel "The Fourth Horseman" and "The Time is Now" suffer from a failure to consider what has passed, too.  I disagree.  I'd be interested in your reasons for feeling this way).

My biggest issue is the handling of the events of Season 2.  I understand that things needed to be scaled back, but I honestly hold the belief that it could have been done without sabotaging the past.  "The Sound of Snow" while being an excellent stand-alone episode, and bring some much needed personal closure for the character of Frank Black still fails to remove my doubts regarding the Marburg virus.

So how could Season 3 have more effectively dealt with this plot?  Well, what do we have?  We've got this virus that can wipe out whole villages, that even the usually level-headed Frank Black fears enough to move his family to safety, and we come back to find that it killed, what?  74 people in the Northwest?

Isn't this scaling back just a little TOO far?  It could have been much the same world, as far as the show is concerned, six months later if the death toll had been a little higher.  I'm not talking about the end of the world, but they could have placed it in the thousands and Seattle, Washington state, and the whole of the US would still be there, six months later.  Say that they fought to contain it and succeeded.  Say anything other than "It killed 74, went away, and we conveniently forgot about it".  The wake of Marburg could have been more pronounced without dramatically altering the direction the show took.

That, coupled with a plot that was somewhat nonsensical and definitely a little too X-Files made the third season opener something of a disappointment, in my eye.  It was saved only by some strong Frank/Jordan moments.

Thankfully, the year had some strong moments, after an unlevel opening.  Myself, I don't believe that Season 2 was to blame for that unlevel opening.

Anyway, just my two cents.  I've wandered far off-topic.

(Disclaimer: This post has not been proof-read.  I'm at work.)

Agreed! :thumbsup_big:  :yes_big:  :laugh_big:

~Raven Wolf :sunglasses_big:

....always hated that show,and joss whedon in particular.

~se7en :ouro:

I like Joss Whedon, but his masterpiece is the short-lived

sci-fi show FIREFLY which hits DVD on 12/10/2003.  I need to buy this DVD set.   I love FIREFLY.  I would watch it with JOHN DOE (another show that got better as it went on.  too bad FOX didn't renew JOHN DOE for a second season or found a way to make FIREFLY work on say another night).

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

....yeah,but then it would just be a poor attempt,AND A RIP OFF,of "The Stand".  -(The stand started off as fantasy while MM-did not not,which is just "part" of the reason why i found the whole premise assinine when Morgan & Bong threw it up at last possible moment with zero buildup,disregarding everything that happened before,includng thier own numerous discarded storylines and..............oh,i shouldn't get started on this just now :~)

Well maybe we feel different about that because I started to watch Millennium during its second season (Beware of the Dog was the first episode I saw) so I got used to the idea of it being about biblical prophecies & such. I didn't see the first season untill I got those dvds from you (thanks again) and although every episode was professional quality when it comes to acting, maturity & such it still seemed to be going nowhere. 'Lamentation' was actually the first episode which actually opened new dimensions instead of just offering a new weekly serial killer (and if I had wanted that I'd have watched Profiler since at least it had a background story unlike Millennium's first season). So after finishing watching the first season on DVD I started with the second season and boy I had a happy grin on my face when I started watching episodes such as 'The Beginning and the End' & 'Beware of the Dog' - It honestly felt as if the show had just woken up from a coma.

And as for third season - back to coma.