Hey Joe, you were right

Rate this topic

4th Horseman

Joe...i know you have been a Night Stalker fan, like myself, since the initial series back in the 70's...When the new series came out, i remember watching up to the episode with Paul Dillon and then losing interest, unable to seperate the two from one another. I just, on a whim, purchased the latest series on DVD and i have to say, my attitude and respect for the show have completely changed..first off, the cinematography is breath-taking, the use of the high rise with traffic at night, the use of the special camera to get the sharpness in detail, the flyovers of Los Angeles at night, those are second to none...its too bad the series was cancelled, because it seemed to pick up speed a little bit in the latter episodes, in particular the one with the "Old Man" in it...

But what has caught my eye, well, actually my ears mostly is the Phillip Glass soundtrack...the menu screen where you see Kolchak typing in the house over-looking Los Angeles, where if you look closely enough, (of course its just a loop), you can see traffic moving and lights flashing on and off, plus you can faintly hear him typing...The music used for this screen is as perfect as one could hope for...i have looked at retail entities like Amazon, and also have searched using Morpheus etc for any music to the series, but cant find any...

Do you know if there are any plans to release the soundtrack? I ask because in the legal disclaimer crap, it says in the first sentence (soundtrack included)...

any ideas Joe??

4th Horseman..

• 3 months later...
Guest Laurent.

Just wanted to note that Phillip Glass only wrote the opening theme of the show. All the original music score was done by Michael Wandmacher (not as great but still..)

By the way, I didn't know Phillip Glass before watching The Night Stalker, but this guy is really one of the best to make atmospheric, haunting music for a soundtrack but that also stands on its own... Not unlike Mark Snow, in a less eclectic way maybe, doesn't mean that he's not as good, he may be even better; yet they're hard to compare.

Just wanted to note that Phillip Glass only wrote the opening theme of the show. All the original music score was done by Michael Wandmacher (not as great but still..)

By the way, I didn't know Phillip Glass before watching The Night Stalker, but this guy is really one of the best to make atmospheric, haunting music for a soundtrack but that also stands on its own... Not unlike Mark Snow, in a less eclectic way maybe, doesn't mean that he's not as good, he may be even better; yet they're hard to compare.

laran - i misspoke in my initial post. I have had contact with Mr. Wandmacher and his assistant on a couple of occasions and they were gracious enough to send me the entire soundtrack of the Night Stalker series on CD...including the Glass stuff, which i later found out was the music used at the main menu screen....Wandmacher did the rest....and its superb...

4th Horseman...

Guest Laurent.

Oh sorry, maybe it was a misunderstanding on my part.

I must say that I don't think Wandmacher's music was as outstanding as Glass' theme; I just can't remember any particular scene where the music hit me; and I usually pay a lot of attention to the music. Maybe I should rewatch the entire series! (Which I was going to do at some point anyway, hehe)

And by the way, just as a bit of funny trivia;

I checked www.imdb.com to look at Wandmacher's filmography, and while I didn't find any outstanding movie / show other than Night Stalker, I found this:

Also records under the name Khursor.

Has a black belt in karate.

Is an expert in Ufology, crop circle phenomena and government conspiracy theories. Studies occult, mythology, theology, numerology and historical uses of covert technology. Fascinated by audio forensic research.

Funny thing that the guy who's now working with ex-1013 members is actually interested in so many X-Filish and Millenniumistic topics. :alien:

Guest ZeusFaber
...including the Glass stuff, which i later found out was the music used at the main menu screen....Wandmacher did the rest....and its superb...

Actually, I should point out that the music used for the main menu screen of the DVD set is actually by Wandmacher.

The Philip Glass piece used for the main title sequence is played on the sub-menu of the "episodes" section, but the actual home screen (with Kolchak typing in the background) uses a Wandmacher piece from the pilot.

Actually, I should point out that the music used for the main menu screen of the DVD set is actually by Wandmacher.

The Philip Glass piece used for the main title sequence is played on the sub-menu of the "episodes" section, but the actual home screen (with Kolchak typing in the background) uses a Wandmacher piece from the pilot.

ZF - here is a quote from Susie Bench, who is Wandmacher's assistant in regards to the Phillip Glass contribution to "Night Stalker"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"As for Philip Glass, he wrote the main title theme, the one that played

in the opening of each episode. For the episodes "The Source" and "The

Sea," Michael incorporated Philip's theme into the music to tie things

together. "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The piece that does play at the actual home screen is called "Press Conference", so it appears that you are correct...good job...

4th Horseman...

Guest ZeusFaber

Yes, I recognised it from the pilot, which of course Philip Glass didn't work on, what with the main title sequence not being complete by that point.