Goodbye To All That

Rate this topic

Alright I know I maybe letting my imagination run wild here but I just finished this episode and something new struck me. When Emma and the doctor were talking he was telling her that Alzheimer usually depletes a persons strength as the disease progresses. Could the Millennium group have given James Hollis an Alzheimer's type of disease but not true Alzheimer in order to trap Emma? It was fear of him that drove her to think of accepting the group's treatment and the group just conveniently has the cure.Maybe it just seems to be an opportune disease that works to well in the groups favor.

Could the Millennium group have given James Hollis an Alzheimer's type of disease but not true Alzheimer in order to trap Emma?

Model217, I think you are right here. I believe the group will do anything to gain control of someone and maintain that hold, and fear is the best way to accomplish that.

It appears Peter Watts did right by Frank, which got him killed.

Black's Babe, I'm hoping it's the hitman that's dead instead of Peter, and that Peter got away so he can appear in the new movie or TV show with Frank. Glad they didn't show his face and finalize it.

Guest MRT6644

I suppose its possible that they caused the illness.

The group preyed on weakness and fear. They approached Frank when he had the original breakdown that forced him to retire from the FBI.

They approached Lara when she was going through her own crisis.

I watched the entire 3 seasons over the last 2+ months on Chiller, and I just started it again with the Pilot today.

In the Pilot, Frank talks about why he quit and of his original breakdown.

He saus it was caused by the Cuffle case and then the Polaroids of his wife.

Is it possible that Cuffle was created by the group?

Were the original Polaroids sent by the group?

Cuffle was in custody when the polaroids were originally sent. And in the last episode, Frank tells Watts how he thinks the group send the pictures as well as the video of Jordan.

Just wondering how far the group would go to recruit a member.

Model217, I think you are right here. I believe the group will do anything to gain control of someone and maintain that hold, and fear is the best way to accomplish that.

Black's Babe, I'm hoping it's the hitman that's dead instead of Peter, and that Peter got away so he can appear in the new movie or TV show with Frank. Glad they didn't show his face and finalize it.

I always thought it was the hitman since Peter knew what was coming and it gave him the jump on any attempt on him. At least that is what I wanted to believe.

Guest Jim McLean
I always thought it was the hitman since Peter knew what was coming and it gave him the jump on any attempt on him. At least that is what I wanted to believe.

I always saw it as Peter knew what was coming and the inevitability of those who turn on the Group and to some degree the redemption in this sole action.

After all, the Group had been Peter's life. It had help him find himself and slowly that had unwound with terrifying revelations. No, I don't see Peter fighting against the Group at this point.

If we were to speculate to him being alive, something - or someone - stopped his death, I can't really see it being Peter himself. Tonally, I really felt this was a death scene, no doubts about it. And as much as I love Peter, I prefer it that way, it gives his character an arc, courage and meaning to his final actions, to a man who could barely consider him a friend anymore. It was so very anti-Group to act where there was no benefit and ultimately his sacrifice was very much the sort of courage and understanding about the circles in life that he sought within what he thought the Group was.

Hi guys,

I was reading a few comments on Big Light of late in which Philes were seeking resolution to some of the more ambiguous elements of certain stories and Frank Spotnitz declined to prescribe definitives in each occasion. I believe he is right to do so and it is an aspect of 1013 storytelling that I so enjoy. Evidently they knew who they wanted to the body to represent but, if we had the chance, I am sure they would decline to tell us of their intention. They are so open to, and respectful of, the power of allowing the fans to fill in the gaps for themselves, it is why we still discuss Millennium a decade later. If all our i's were dotted and our t's crossed there would be little left for us to ruminate about.

I believe, however, that the body was of Peter Watts, it was his redemption we were seeing on the screen. Bardo Thodol almost sets this event up when Frank denies Emma's assertion that Peter is evil and reminds her of his belief that all are capable of redemptive acts.

I say this most cautiously as I know there are detractors to this idea, but the stark, in my opinion, change in Peter's character during the third season, and I said stark not implausible or incorrect, does encourage you to forgot the more honourable, but still flawed, character we saw before this. I remember in season two when Peter forgets his friendship with both Frank and Lara to deal with the events of the Owls/Roosters civil war, in the cold light of day however, he is able to take a step back from his compromising relationship with the Millennium Group and remember who he is and who they are.

That said, bit of a bugger in light of a Millennium Movie, were there to be one, as there are so many reason why Terry O'Quinn would be an asset to it. Narrative integrity vs bums on cinema seats - not a decision I would relish having to make.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest MRT6644
I think it was Peter, but i wonder if TMG killed his family too?

Sadly I think the identity of the body was left uncertain because they were anticipating a 4th season.

This is common in tv series, to have a dramatic ending, but leave the possibility open that Peter survived.

Had they known ahead of time that this was to be the very last episode, I think they would have either identified him as dead or alive.

Part of me wondered if they would bring Catherine back after Season 2. They never showed proof that she died, just that she walked off into the woods. I wonder if they were going to decide her fate in the writing sessions after? Or was her death part of the master plan? Her death definitely pushed Frank into his anti-MG mode, so maybe it was necessary.

I agree that having Peter die gave some sort of redemption to his character. Peter once said the group would kill him if they caught him investigating the group. In the last living scene Peter was doing just that, he was asking Frank if he thought the group could have done what Frank believed. In Peter's study, all the files on the floor could lead you to believe he was investigating past cases, with the intention of confirming Frank's theories.

Part of me always liked Peter. He never betrayed Frank, and he always held hope for Frank rejoining.

I always suspected the group was not as evil as the stories lead you to believe. But we saw one side of it all.

After the death of Frank's wife, we were pushed in that direction, to mistrust everything associated with the group.

Guest Laurent.
Part of me always liked Peter. He never betrayed Frank, and he always held hope for Frank rejoining.

I always suspected the group was not as evil as the stories lead you to believe. But we saw one side of it all.

After the death of Frank's wife, we were pushed in that direction, to mistrust everything associated with the group.

Exactly, we saw the third season through Frank's eyes only. But his judgment and sanity were clearly shaken by Catherine's death. This brings an ambiguity and uncertainty that I like in season 3. Frank sees things that he maybe shouldn't trust, he's making links that aren't suppose to be made... like the guy in Skulls and Bones.

I believe the incident that catapulted Peter to investigate the group and question his own beliefs was when his daughter was kidnapped in Collateral Damage. The group may not have been directly responsible, and the group's mabius was there in the shadows to do what needed to be done, but eventually backed away when Peter stepped forward. Even though Peter did not want to betray group secrets, when push came to shove, his daughter came first. He knew Frank would find her, and hoped that he wouldn't have to admit to his actions in the past to save her. With all that Peter knew about the group, and now the possible future threats to his family, I believe his parental instinct became the controlling force from this point on, questioning everything and everyone. At this point nothing else matters, not even his own life. I'm speaking as a parent of course, and to prove my point, when a bear's cubs are in danger, there's no animal on Earth more deadly.

• 6 months later...
Guest frankblack13

This episode is way too sad for me because when it first aired I thought there was going to be another season but after when I found out that it got cancelled, it just broke my heart cry.gif