Goodbye To All That

Rate this topic

Guest RodimusBen

I feel for you. I am so glad I was able to "brace myself" for the fact that there were going to be a lot of questions left unanswered, so I can't imagine what it would be like expecting to have a 4th season to look forward to. These days, I find myself wishing could go back in time and do something to convince them not to cancel Millennium. In retrospect, it seems like such a dumb decision, and I now have a much clearer idea of why people hate FOX's scheduling practices.

• 6 months later...

I have just seen the end of Season 3 first time after 9 years, and I must admit that I forgot how good this show was! Not good, excellent!!! I am sooo sad right now. The ending left me hearbroken, for Frank - for obvious reasons, for Emma - why, or why did she betray him? Well, I know, I know her father, but still ... ( I always, secretely wanted them to be a couple , Frank and Emma, that is - here I said it!) and for Watts - who turned out to be a good guy in the end - although I think that he always was, he was just blinded by the MM propaganda. I felt really bed for Emma, I don't think she realized what she really did until it was too late, then again, I don't think she had a choice, as Frank said, they would approach her sooner or later, and this way at least she saved her father, but imagine how she must felt when she was standing there when Frank was cleaning his desk, and all of this just 2 episodes after she tells to that sheriff guy in "Nostalgia" that what she learned from Frank and what he showed her cannot be really put in words, it was such a beautiful moment, it showed how much Frank really ment to her, and now this! It's too sudden!

Do you think that MM forseen that she may want to back out and did the surgery on her father sooner so she would fall in their trap? I like to think so, I like to think that she was just a victim of an elaborate set up and no matter what decision she would have made, it would still be the same result She was just on the phone to tell Watts she can't do it - so I can't really hate her for what she had done to Frank, I just feel very very sad....

So, now I got it off my chest, I feel a little better.

thanks for listening

I haven't visited for some time and here's the reason. Season one, and to a lesser extent season two, proposed that evil can be overcome with skill, dedication, talent and truth. Season three's ultimate lesson is that even the brightest and best of us will in the end be defeated by the unseen powers that really run things. Will somebody please either talk me out of this or erase season three from my mind?

Hi Badlife and may I say how wonderful it is to have you around and don't leave it so long next time. We love discussing the show and anyone who wants to join us in that will be made more than welcome. :thumbsup:

I think that rather than suggest that there is inevitable defeat that faces of all us regardless of our talents and intentions that season three suggests that we are masters of our own destinies rather than slaves to any unseen puppet government or evil power. It's a season that has the idea of damnation and redemption at the core of it. It sets up fairly early on [Closure] that there is no rhyme or reason to evil, there are simply people who do and some people who do not and what differentiates between the two is the choices they make. It asserts that we are "racing towards an apocalypse of our own making" which throws away the two concepts presented by the factions (theological and secular) and places the keys to doomsday firmly in our hands. It won't come from the stars or the heavens but, again, the choices we make. We then see Emma and Peter and Frank as they make their own journeys along the path to either redemption or damnation. They are presented with a series of choices and a series of conflicts and it is their own actions that leads to the redemption of Peter Watts and the damnation of Emma Hollis. Frank, as we know, makes his own choice and says goodbye to all that for the sake of himself and his daughter.

It isn't a series that concerns itself with the nature of evil as much as what has gone before but it simply accepts that 'evil is' and then looks at what man does when presented with the temptation to wander that path.

At least that's my view of it. You may hold a completely different view and Millennium being Millennium, neither would be wrong.

Eth

Hi Badlife and may I say how wonderful it is to have you around and don't leave it so long next time. We love discussing the show and anyone who wants to join us in that will be made more than welcome. :thumbsup:

I think that rather than suggest that there is inevitable defeat that faces of all us regardless of our talents and intentions that season three suggests that we are masters of our own destinies rather than slaves to any unseen puppet government or evil power. It's a season that has the idea of damnation and redemption at the core of it. It sets up fairly early on [Closure] that there is no rhyme or reason to evil, there are simply people who do and some people who do not and what differentiates between the two is the choices they make. It asserts that we are "racing towards an apocalypse of our own making" which throws away the two concepts presented by the factions (theological and secular) and places the keys to doomsday firmly in our hands. It won't come from the stars or the heavens but, again, the choices we make. We then see Emma and Peter and Frank as they make their own journeys along the path to either redemption or damnation. They are presented with a series of choices and a series of conflicts and it is their own actions that leads to the redemption of Peter Watts and the damnation of Emma Hollis. Frank, as we know, makes his own choice and says goodbye to all that for the sake of himself and his daughter.

It isn't a series that concerns itself with the nature of evil as much as what has gone before but it simply accepts that 'evil is' and then looks at what man does when presented with the temptation to wander that path.

At least that's my view of it. You may hold a completely different view and Millennium being Millennium, neither would be wrong.

Eth

Thanks Eth! I obviously need to watch the whole thing again (dammit:)) so I can tease out this optimism for myself. I like your take on it much better than mine, but then I can be pretty much a gloomster anyway.

Don't apologise it's horses for courses Badlife. You can't be expected to like every episode and every season of a show. I should know, I have been fairly vocal about "Lost" Season Six this year. If I'm honest with you Season Three is my least preferred of all the three seasons of "Millennium". You are not alone in having misgivings with regards to it but it does get better with age and there a small number of folks who proclaim it better than the previous two. It's all subjective, what matters is what you think and feel about something not what anyone else thinks when all is said and done.

In its defence, watch some of the stuff that passes for good television these days and then watch any of the episodes in the latter third of the third season of Millennium. I assure you you will see the quality of the season if you do that.

And thank you for dropping by. I hope we have more of a chance to chat.

This is who we are!

Eth

• 2 months later...

I hate endings... there´s always this feeling like there´s more to come...but all that is left is emptiness and sadness. While I may be one of the few people who loved all three seasons of Millennium I think everyone felt this after this season´s finale. Even though I know what´s coming it always gets to me.

Emma grew up on me and watching the group basicaly force her to join them was painful. I think the fact that her father´s alzheimers was developing in an unnatural way was enough to make it obvious the group was actually making his illness worse. If only she called Watts earlier she would propably be able to stay away from them. The ending montage brought tears to my eyes.

At least for The X Files there´s still a chance we´ll get a proper closure...

Edited by Luki