Millennium - This Is Who We Are Welcome to Halloween Macabre!

A Prequel/Sequel to Se7en?

SEVEN PREQUEL?

by Brian King

Source: Bloody Disgusting

10.31.2006 -

For some time now, New Line Cinema has been developing a prequel/sequel to David Fincher's serial killer magnum opus Se7en. First reports mentioned it was going to be based on an existing script entitled Solace by Ted Griffin (Ravenous). Whether that's changed or not, or was even true, is hard to say.

Bloody Disgusting, it seems, has managed to get their hands on a treatment named Virtue. It appears to be a working title, so I have no idea if this has anything to do with Griffin's script or not; however, I'm assuming it doesn't. Why write a treatment if you already have an existing script, right?

Anyway, here's what the cool cats over at BD had to say:

"Ok guys, I am holding in my hand something that's going to make your Halloween right now. I've been saving this treat for weeks now just so I could share it with you on Halloween -- and this is NOT to be confused with the comic book that's being talked about on other websites, this is the real deal, the freakin' prequel to Se7en! Read on for the skinny.

"Short and sweet news here. I'm holding in my hand right now the treatment for the prequel to Se7en, New Line Cinema's cult classic from 1994, which was a police drama about two cops, one new and one about to retire, after a serial killer using the seven deadly sins as his MO.

"The treatment, which is now being sent out for writers, is entitled Virtue - why the change of name? Well the idea was to keep the prequel a secret, but who in Gods name could keep that quiet? The film would be released and marketed as it's own entity, but when the finale comes to light we are hit with a revelation that we're watching the next Se7en film.

"This is in fact REAL, 100%, but things will change down the line as it becomes scripted. After I find a few minutes to read the treatment I'll make sure to post a mini-review of the idea and tell you what I think."

Sounds interesting to say the least. Can't wait to hear what they think.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Moriarty

Can't believe they are doing this... if it's true. They should leave Se7ven alone. It is perfect as it is. A prequel/sequel could only damage the original. But that's Hollywood I guess. Trying to make money out of a cult classic.

Guest SouthernCelt
Can't believe they are doing this... if it's true. They should leave Se7ven alone. It is perfect as it is. A prequel/sequel could only damage the original. But that's Hollywood I guess. Trying to make money out of a cult classic.

If they don't tamper with the publicly shown version of "Se7en" then I don't know that a pre-/sequel would necessarily "damage" it; however, most second movies, whether pre- or se-, are not as good as the original and might turn off possible new "Se7en" viewers.

Guest Frank L.

I think a prequel would be more interesting than a sequel, but only if they somehow managed to get most of the cast and crew of Se7en together again. It could be interesting to see John Doe preparing for his life's work. I think he wouldn't just start with it; he would probably kill a few people first, as practice. And the movie could end where Se7en begins...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines