Cheryl Andrews / The Hand of St Sebastian

Rate this topic

Hi, I'm Josh and I'm new to TIWWA, but I have been an avid fan of Millenium since I was a child in the 90s.

I have watched and studied the episodes "The Hand of Saint Sebastian" and "Skull and Bones" several times and in some depth, because there appears to be an inconsistency to the continuity of the two episodes. "The Hand of Saint Sebastian" is the last episode of season 2 to feature Cheryl Andrews, while "Skull and Bones" is the only episode of season 3 to feature her. Yet there is a discontinuity in the way that Frank refers to her between the two episodes.

At the end of "The Hand of Saint Sebastian", as we all know, she is revealed to be working with assassins to set up Peter Watts for the murder of Doctor Schlossberg, and Frank discovers this and acts accordingly, even outright stating that she "sold her soul", suggesting that he has come to see her as a villain, of sorts. Yet in "Skull and Bones, he seems to ignore the events surrounding "The Hand of Saint Sebastian" entirely, referring to her as a friend. In fact, there is little to no mention of the prior episode at all, which I find surprising given the circumstances surrounding it.

It makes me wonder if his disillusionment with the Millennium Group softened his feelings towards Cheryl Andrews, or if there was a mistake in the writing of the episode.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Welcome to the group Josh, hope to see you here often.  It's who we are. :ouroborous:

As far as Cheryl Andrews, I don't believe for a minute she betrayed the group she believed in, but after her bizarre discovery she made performing an autopsy, she went to Germany to report it, and was arrested.  And who authorizes her release but Homer B. Pettey.  We all have seen in the episode Skull and Bones where he worked/lived.  I believe she uncovered something about the group where she saw its dark side, and it was the group that killed her, to keep her quiet.  I believe Cheryl was forced to betray Frank, possibly protecting the life of a family member.  In the synopsis of The Hand of...., it states ~

Frank realizes Andrews set up Watts to destroy the Group’s credibility.

As I stated above, I believe she found out something, or things, about the group, and they killed her for it.  She was Frank and Peter's friend and they all had a mutual respect for each other.  I am sure Peter knew why she was killed, and had nothing to do with it, but also had no choice but to remain silent.  Or, he was quietly seeking answers himself.

The group had a dark side and that side would do anything to keep from being exposed.

Maybe some of the questions from these episodes were going to be answered in season 4, and sadly we only have virtual seasons after 3.  I don't believe there was a mistake in the writing, but I do believe that the writers of many episodes left us with questions on purpose, and some may never be answered.  Two excellent episodes.

Edited by Earthnut
  • Like 1

Thanks, Earthnut, for responding. That's the impression I got too. Cheryl's sudden change of behaviour in "The Hand of Saint Sebastian" was quite shocking, and I did notice something last night in rewatching it and studying her facial reactions to certain situations that she was worried most of the time, even frightened at times, particularly when Frank had her meet him in an alley. It was almost as if she was expecting someone else. 

I don't believe that there was a mistake in writing either, I just thought it was odd that little to no mention is made of these events in "Skull and Bones". But if it's true that she was being forced by the group to do what she did, that would explain the events of her final episode all too clear.

And yes, you will see me here often, I'm sure. :)

22 hours ago, TheBleuOtter said:

Thanks, Earthnut, for responding. That's the impression I got too. Cheryl's sudden change of behaviour in "The Hand of Saint Sebastian" was quite shocking, and I did notice something last night in rewatching it and studying her facial reactions to certain situations that she was worried most of the time, even frightened at times, particularly when Frank had her meet him in an alley. It was almost as if she was expecting someone else. 

I don't believe that there was a mistake in writing either, I just thought it was odd that little to no mention is made of these events in "Skull and Bones". But if it's true that she was being forced by the group to do what she did, that would explain the events of her final episode all too clear.

And yes, you will see me here often, I'm sure. :)

My pleasure Mr. Otter.  Look forward to your posts.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2017 at 0:07 PM, Earthnut said:

Welcome to the group Josh, hope to see you here often.  It's who we are. :ouroborous:

What keys do you use for the Oroborus symbol there? That's really very cool. :)

16 hours ago, TheBleuOtter said:

What keys do you use for the Oroborus symbol there? That's really very cool. :)

When you are typing, take notice of the happy face (above), it's the emoticons.  When it first opens up it will display groups, but for all the small ones, click on "General."  Emoticons are so much fun, and can also be used in the Shoutbox.  You can use keys if you remember what they are.  Instead of (no spaces) : ouroboros :, I find it quicker to click on the happy face, and, the most recent ones you've used will display at the top.

:ouroborous:    :Ouroborous_Large:    :Frank_Black:    :23:    :spider-1:   :snowman-smiley-emoticon:    :killer:   :319:   :boom:

Putting your mouse over the other symbols will display what it does.  I like the "eye."  It hides whatever you want hidden.  Let me show you ~

Spoiler

This is how a spoiler is used.

The code is for other things similar to the spoiler.  Haven't used the code in a long time.

Edited by Earthnut
  • Like 1