Millenniums use of songs

Rate this topic

Guest Mr. Ne'er-Do-Well

Guest LauraKrycek
Garbage's "Only Happy When It Rains" from "Terms Of Endearment"...and that oldy "Wonderful" made very creepy thanks to that utter classic episode "Home".

Oh, I didn't catch this when I posted before!  I also really love "I'm Only Happy When it Rains", though I haven't had the chance to hear much else of Garbage's music.  I've become aquainted with so many great musicians through 1013!  And "Wonderful Wonderful"... ::shudder::  That song freaks me out now.  I can't listen to it at all.

Guest Mr. Ne'er-Do-Well

Raven Wolf...I wanted to like "All Things", because I'm all for more subtle character pieces, but I just found it too frustratingly slow.

On the flip side, David Duchovny's "Hollywood AD" was one of my all time favorite X-pisodes. Demented classic!

LauraKrycek...(cool name, by the way...combines one of favorite Millennium characters and one of my favorite X-Files characters!) I think Moby's music has totally the right tone for X-Files, moreso than Millennium. Millennium hardly ever had a real humane feel to it (with the exception of shows like "Midnight Of The Century"), and thats why darker stuff like Patti Smith and Nine Inch Nails works. But X-Files was very emotional and character driven at times, which was perfect for the Moby tracks used.

I love 'Run On' too...that was my favorite Moby track when I became a fan. Now theres about a 8 way tie!

hehe...so true about that 'Wonderful' song from "Home". Geez, that episode was so extreme. I remember how it was discussed on a New Zealand radio station the next morning. It creeped out a lot of people!

Who can forget this?

Guest LauraKrycek
LauraKrycek...(cool name, by the way...combines one of favorite Millennium characters and one of my favorite X-Files characters!) I think Moby's music has totally the right tone for X-Files, moreso than Millennium. Millennium hardly ever had a real humane feel to it (with the exception of shows like "Midnight Of The Century"), and thats why darker stuff like Patti Smith and Nine Inch Nails works. But X-Files was very emotional and character driven at times, which was perfect for the Moby tracks used.

I love 'Run On' too...that was my favorite Moby track when I became a fan. Now theres about a 8 way tie!

hehe...so true about that 'Wonderful' song from "Home". Geez, that episode was so extreme. I remember how it was discussed on a New Zealand radio station the next morning. It creeped out a lot of people!

Actually, Laura's my real name.  I loved Lara Means, too, but didn't take my name from her.  I started going by Laura E. Krycek back in like '99 or something, when it was still against a lot of message board rules to use your real name, so I picked that.  Before that, it was Margaret Ann McBlythe, but I think I outgrew that one.  Anyway...

I see what you're talking about with the different tones thing.  They definitely do.  I can see that on a couple of episodes of XF, you could put in some Patti Smith or something, but it'd still be a bit of a stretch.  Something 1013's famous for is putting a light-hearted song underneath a horrifying scene ("Wonderful Wonderful", "Horse With No Name", the Carpenters, etc.).  It almost makes it funny, except that it's too scary to be funny.  And then you always associate the two, and that's when you can't ever listen to "Wonderful Wonderful" again.

My favorite Moby right now is "Signs of Love".  It reminds me of flying... when I listen to it, I can almost see a golden sunset through banks of clouds.  It's a beautiful song.  I plan on making a CD someday with just my favorite beautiful, strong songs, and that'll definitely be on it.

I liked "All Things" It wasn't overly dramatic, but it held my attention and it showed you a rarely seen side of Scully.  I liked the whole oscillation theme going on too.

Guest LauraKrycek
See, I saw that rarely-seen side rather as something that Gillian, as the actress, made up because of some wacked Stanislavski "hidden self" thing.  Plus, it was kinda trippy.  But I liked the music, of course.

Guest Mr. Ne'er-Do-Well

I'd like to see Anderson write or direct something else. Shes so intelligent, and I'm sure shes got more interesting things to say.

I can't wait to see what Duchovny directs next. The guy has such real talent for writing and directing.

X-Files and Millennium both used some songs in completely inappropriate scenes, or in an ironical way, which was great.

But I think a show can overuse a song. Hell, Millennium did it with the old track 'Till Then' in the third season show "Matryoshka". They simply played again and again to the point it was freaking annoying (now I know how those kids in "Room With No View" felt!). Then again, that old show was a misfire. I loved the idea of Dean Winters being the hero, but the episode pretty much sucked...like too many episodes from that final year.

By the way, today I put together my CD of songs from X-Files and Millennium. Here's a copy of the playlist...

1. "A HORSE WITH NO NAME" - America ("Owls")

2. "BAD BOYS" - Inner Circle ("X-Cops")

3. "LAND: HORSES" - Patti Smith ("The Time Is Now")

4. "ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT RAINS" - Garbage ("Terms Of

Endearment")

5. "IN THE YEAR 2525" - Zager And Evans ("The Time Is Now")

6. "THE SKY IS BROKEN" - Moby ("All Things")

7. "LIFE DURING WARTIME" - Talking Heads ("The Beginning

And The End')

8. "BEYOND THE SEA" - Bobby Darin ("Beyond The Sea")

9. "CLOSE TO YOU" - The Carpenters ("Beware Of The Dog")

10. "MY WEAKNESS" - Moby ("Closure")

11. "TRIMM TRABB" - Blur ("Darwin's Eye")

12. "PSYCHO CIRCUS" - KISS ("...Thirteen Years Later")

13. "SEASONS IN THE SUN" - Terry Jacks ("Goodbye Charlie")

14. "HELL" - Squirrel Nut Zippers ("A Single Blade Of Grass")

15. "HEAD LIKE A HOLE" - Nine Inch Nails ("Millennium/pilot")

16. "RIDE OF THE VALKYRIES" - Richard Wagner ("Bad Blood")

How very weird to have The Carpenters, Nine Inch Nails and Wagner on the same CD!

Now I'm seeing if I can put together a collection of songs from the BEST drama of the 90s...Homicide: Life On The Street

David Duchovny has written and directed (and starred) in a movie called House of D which hopefully be released sometime in 2004.

He shot the movie this fall and it is currently in post-production.  

David Duchovny debuts as writer and director with House of D. The former X-Files lead will star with wife Tea Leoni, Robin Williams, and Tyler Hoechlin. The independent drama revolves around a man who comes to terms with events and friends from both his past and present.

description taken from: https://movies.hsx.com/servlet/SecurityDetail?symbol=HOUSD

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

...well at least that shows he's out of his "no one will take me seriously because of the x-files stage".   he DOES have talent,when his ego doesn't get in the way of himself.

se7en :ouro:  :santa2:

Guest Mr. Ne'er-Do-Well

Oh, right...I did hear something about that film with Robin Williams. I hope it turns out great and gets him some real respect. His movie career, as an actor, hasn't really clicked yet with audiences. Evolution and Playing God bombed and no one saw Full Frontal.

At least on TV he scored with, obviously, X-Files and bagged Emmy nominations for Larry Sanders and Life With Bonnie.