What Is That Thing Frank Does

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
In some episodes he seems to be decoding letters like in Antipas. I thought i have seen him do this before in other episodes. Im i right or am I wrong and what is it called?

It's a little different, but in 522666, Frank does a little decoding to figure out what the tones that the killer punches into the phone spell. Other than that, Antipas is the only episode I can think of where he does this type of thing. I'm not sure what the thing Frank does is called, other than decoding, but the thing he decodes in Antipas is an anagram, if I'm not mistaken.

Guest SouthernCelt
It's a little different, but in 522666, Frank does a little decoding to figure out what the tones that the killer punches into the phone spell. Other than that, Antipas is the only episode I can think of where he does this type of thing. I'm not sure what the thing Frank does is called, other than decoding, but the thing he decodes in Antipas is an anagram, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, in Antipas, he deciphers an anagram by decoding/rearranging the letters to spell antipas. I think there have been a couple of other episodes where he jotted down words and looked to see if they would be rearranged to spell another more meaningful word (Mikado perhaps?), but I can't remember which eps and I may be mistaken on that.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Yes, in Antipas, he deciphers an anagram by decoding/rearranging the letters to spell antipas. I think there have been a couple of other episodes where he jotted down words and looked to see if they would be rearranged to spell another more meaningful word (Mikado perhaps?), but I can't remember which eps and I may be mistaken on that.

Yes, I can remember them doing some decoding of messages on Mikado for sure, but I can't recall either if Lance did any manual decoding. I remember Roedecker had a hand in decoding some numerical computer codes, and it seems like they sent some stuff to Quantico for decoding. What did they call that picture from Avatar, a cyfer or something like that?

• Elders (Moderators)

He does something with letters in Dead Letters, too. Some fragments from the transcript:

[Day, sunny, outside Molly's Coffee Shop.]

[inside, Frank sits at a counter, chewing on some food, while trying to piece together and make sense of the letters he's seen in his visions. On a napkin he's written: ]

RI Y

RITUALLY [line stricken through it]

IRREVOCABLY [line stricken through it]

[He completes the second word as: 'RITUALLY,' strikes a line through it realizing it repeats the third word. Then he adds an 'SK' to the first word to form: 'RISKY'. He pauses, thinks about it for a moment before striking that word as well.]

(…)

FRANK: He left a message, I'm certain of it.

PENSEYRES: There was no report of any message.

FRANK: It's there. I just haven't found it.

PENSEYRES: Okay. Portland detectives called us in on this but for their crime stats, they'll want to get the credit. There's a man down there that's worked with Portland P.D. - Jim Horn. We're considering him for the Group. He's had extensive background in behavioral science and his work was directly responsible for finding the Highway 8 killer in San Diego. He's a real good guy. Works out of an office in downtown Portland.

[He places an envelope before Frank with the information but he's still preoccupied with those three letters. On a fresh napkin, he's written: ]

Y I R

-----------------------------------------------------------

This happens later on a crime scene:

-----------------------------------------------------------

[The tech walks over with several sheets. Frank picks one, then smooths the tape out onto the clear plastic sheet. Using a lighted magnifying lens, he reads the message the killer has left on the body.]

[Through the lens (Frank's POV), we see the letters: ]

...E T O M O R R...

[Then Frank has another brief vision.]

[He sees: 'H A I'; then 'I R'. End of vision.]

FRANK: Hair today, (pause) Hair today, gone tomorrow.

If you are looking for a name for it. In The DaVinci Code , Robert Langdon is unscrambling the anagram left by Saunière and Sophie remarks,

"You have Identic Memory?"

I've never heard this phrase before and it may be something coined by the author but I gather from some searching that it has something to do with finding similar things in a set (Identical) Or like computer memory works.

So maybe Frank has a knack for Anagrams,

:eyes:

I think you are referring to eidetic in the Divinci Code.

ei‧det‧ic  /aɪˈdɛtɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ahy-det-ik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective

1. of, pertaining to, or constituting visual imagery vividly experienced and readily reproducible with great accuracy and in great detail.

I think you are referring to eidetic in the Divinci Code.

ei‧det‧ic  /aɪˈdɛtɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ahy-det-ik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective

1. of, pertaining to, or constituting visual imagery vividly experienced and readily reproducible with great accuracy and in great detail.

That's what I get for relying on Closed Captioning again :angryred: