Reminder! The ninth Gate

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Ok folks dont forget Sat. nite is movie night. The Ninth Gate

post-569-1163807090_thumb.jpg

You can count on me this week. I will find it for rental at all costs. I think I saw it at my local Mammoth previously. It's been a while so I'm really looking forward to it. :yes:

Guest Moriarty

I do not dislike it but I think that this is one of Polanski's minor ones. The script has some flaws in it and the ending is a bit far stretched in my opinion. Depp's character is great however. As always :yes:

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Well, I was thinking I might watch the Ninth Gate again before turning it back in to the rental store, but after my 4th viewing, it is starting to lose its' punch a little bit. Still, I did really enjoy it last night. Something about this movie reminded me of some of the mystery/suspense movies of the 60s or 70s. It relied on the plot and the acting, instead of getting too carried away with non stop action and excessive special effects. Some of the aspects and effects of this film reminded me of a Hitchcock era film. The characters and acting were very good throughout the film, and the setting and visual effects, along with the intrigue of the old books somehow hit a chord with me. I know it didn't do well at the box office and wasn't overly loved by critics, but it remains one of my favorites. Some of the complaints might be that it was too slow moving, but I really enjoyed the pace at which the story unfolded. Needless to say, Johnny Depp's performance stole the show, but there were also a lot of interesting character roles, such as Lina Olin and the blonde. I forget her name, Emmanuel Siegner or something like that. I know there has been some discussion about the ending not being that great, but it worked for me. In addition to some great directing, the other key, as mentioned, was the great setting and locations. I think I'll return it and wait until next Oct. to pick it up again. By then it will feel fresh again.

I agree that repeated viewings of this film takes a lot of the punch out of it. I watched it not long ago and twice during that rental.

So my memory of it is a little dull but renting it now would be more like a class project and not as much fun.

Johnny Depp’s performance is the thing that does stand out to me. He has almost a classic James Stewart vulnerability. An anti-hero that has all the necessary skill and charm to slide through the most difficult situations yet flawed enough to provide tense moments during times of peril.

Polanski is a master of paranoia. The premise of tracking down a book written by Satan is an impossible task in anyone else’s hands, but Polanski creates the mood and settings necessary from the opening scenes. This is done by allowing you to view it from the perspective of people who are wealthy educated collectors, not fanatical cultists. At least until you are exposed bit by bit to evidence that something outside the norm is at work.

This reminds you a bit of The Omen and outside of the brief ‘flying’ scene with Ms. Seigner, you’re totally sold on the premise.

This doesn’t bother me too much because I grew up on great films like Jacques Tourneur’s, Curse of the Demon, where the laughably unbelievable Demon at the end took nothing away from the excellent quality of this film. The quote in the film Curse of the Demon, from the Ancient Mariner, also applies here I think.

“Like one, that on a lonely road

Doth walk in fear and dread,

And having once turn'd round, walks on

And turns no more his head:

Because he knows, a frightful fiend

Doth close behind him tread.”

I wandered off a bit there, but If you want a great film for a rainy Saturday afternoon with Hitchcock-ian touches like the unexpected hand on the staircase, The Ninth Gate is it. I agree Polanski achieved status with films like Chinatown etc., but this is a genre he truly enjoys working with, In my opinion.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I agree that repeated viewings of this film takes a lot of the punch out of it. I watched it not long ago and twice during that rental.

So my memory of it is a little dull but renting it now would be more like a class project and not as much fun.

Johnny Depp’s performance is the thing that does stand out to me. He has almost a classic James Stewart vulnerability. An anti-hero that has all the necessary skill and charm to slide through the most difficult situations yet flawed enough to provide tense moments during times of peril.

Polanski is a master of paranoia. The premise of tracking down a book written by Satan is an impossible task in anyone else’s hands, but Polanski creates the mood and settings necessary from the opening scenes. This is done by allowing you to view it from the perspective of people who are wealthy educated collectors, not fanatical cultists. At least until you are exposed bit by bit to evidence that something outside the norm is at work.

This reminds you a bit of The Omen and outside of the brief ‘flying’ scene with Ms. Seigner, you’re totally sold on the premise.

This doesn’t bother me too much because I grew up on great films like Jacques Tourneur’s, Curse of the Demon, where the laughably unbelievable Demon at the end took nothing away from the excellent quality of this film. The quote in the film Curse of the Demon, from the Ancient Mariner, also applies here I think.

“Like one, that on a lonely road

Doth walk in fear and dread,

And having once turn'd round, walks on

And turns no more his head:

Because he knows, a frightful fiend

Doth close behind him tread.”

I wandered off a bit there, but If you want a great film for a rainy Saturday afternoon with Hitchcock-ian touches like the unexpected hand on the staircase, The Ninth Gate is it. I agree Polanski achieved status with films like Chinatown etc., but this is a genre he truly enjoys working with, In my opinion.

Yes, I'm glad to hear someone else use the Hichcockian comparison. I was hesitant to use such a comparison to the master, but it goes to show how much I think of The Ninth Gate. It's a little late now, but I was actually in the mood to watch it again tonight before turning it back in. I do have it until Thursday, so maybe I'll watch it tomorrow night. I agree with pretty much everything you said, especially about Corso being a vulnerable and flawed character, which, along with Depp oozing charm and charisma, makes for a great performance to watch and an interesting and likable character. I also agree that the Seigner "flying" scene was a bit much, but it didn't really bother me too much either. There were some very interesting effects that have me wondering how they were done, for example, when Corso gets knocked out and his eyes go all weird. The whole movie had that old school style and feel to it for sure though. I can add this one to the list of films that didn't do too well with the critics or at the box office, but remains high on my list of favorites.

Yes, I'm glad to hear someone else use the Hichcockian comparison. I was hesitant to use such a comparison to the master, but it goes to show how much I think of The Ninth Gate. It's a little late now, but I was actually in the mood to watch it again tonight before turning it back in. I do have it until Thursday, so maybe I'll watch it tomorrow night. I agree with pretty much everything you said, especially about Corso being a vulnerable and flawed character, which, along with Depp oozing charm and charisma, makes for a great performance to watch and an interesting and likable character. I also agree that the Seigner "flying" scene was a bit much, but it didn't really bother me too much either. There were some very interesting effects that have me wondering how they were done, for example, when Corso gets knocked out and his eyes go all weird. The whole movie had that old school style and feel to it for sure though. I can add this one to the list of films that didn't do too well with the critics or at the box office, but remains high on my list of favorites.

I might rent it again too, for the long weekend. Ninth Gate was discussed recently in another thread, and someone mentioned Polanski is married to Seigner, who did pretty well in here I thought.

She made a striking image with those crazy green eyes! Odd though, that a powerful demon (or whatever she was) fought off Depp’s attackers with martial arts yet she took an accidental shot in the nose from Depp’s elbow.

I’m like Huh???

Still it kept you glued to your seat the whole time and I agree with Joe about the ending. A lot of Polanski’s films don’t end too happily for the main character. And I guess you could still worry what all that power would eventually cost him.