Reminder! The ninth Gate

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I might rent it again too, for the long weekend. Ninth Gate was discussed recently in another thread, and someone mentioned Polanski is married to Seigner, who did pretty well in here I thought.

She made a striking image with those crazy green eyes! Odd though, that a powerful demon (or whatever she was) fought off Depp’s attackers with martial arts yet she took an accidental shot in the nose from Depp’s elbow.

I’m like Huh???

Still it kept you glued to your seat the whole time and I agree with Joe about the ending. A lot of Polanski’s films don’t end too happily for the main character. And I guess you could still worry what all that power would eventually cost him.

Yeah, that was strange that she took that shot from Corso, but I figured it was because she had let her guard down. I never did get a chance to see it again, but for $1 (VHS) at the local Mammoth video, I can always pick it up again in a few weeks. For some reason, I was just in a mood to be submerged in the mood and setting of the film, much the same way that I love certain Millennium episodes for the feeling I get from them. If I had to guess, the MM episode that most often fits a certain mood is probably Midnight of the Century. For some reason, it just makes me feel warm and cozy.

Getting back to the 9th Gate, I agree that Seigner did a wonderful job, right down to that wild final scene with her and Depp. I didn't know until long after I first saw the movie that she was married to Polanski. She seems a little young for him, but guys like Roman always have younger chicks hanging on them. I also enjoyed the character Lina Olin played. It reminds me of another brilliant role by Lina in one of my other favorites, Romeo Is Bleeding. That is another one that didn't quite work for everyone, but that I really loved. Gary Oldman is really great in that movie too. In fact, it was the first role I saw him in and remains my favorite role by him, even with such masterworks as his role in Dracula.

Guest Moriarty
but guys like Roman always have younger chicks hanging on them.

Strange that you say this. You are aware that he was accused for having sex with a 13-year old right? He even fled the US for that reason...

Yeah, that was strange that she took that shot from Corso, but I figured it was because she had let her guard down.

Her getting hit in the nose with Corso’s elbow might have been an attempt at humor. Polanski and Depp both seem birds of a feather in that regard, but if you’re suspending belief to accept what’s happening in the scene (as you did when she flew down to help) it doesn’t work and takes you out of the story completely.

Look, you can accept the woman appearing out of nowhere as strange - but possible. Flying isn’t possible, fighting off three big men like that is practically impossible. But then when you say okay so it’s supernatural - then her getting hit - is just bizarre.

I’m not really trashing the movie, I liked it and it flowed beautifully except for those two examples. But it Was funny.

I also enjoyed the character Lina Olin played. It reminds me of another brilliant role by Lina in one of my other favorites, Romeo Is Bleeding. That is another one that didn't quite work for everyone, but that I really loved. Gary Oldman is really great in that movie too. In fact, it was the first role I saw him in and remains my favorite role by him, even with such masterworks as his role in Dracula.

I only knew Lina Olin from her role in the TV series Alias. I thought she was fantastic in that and she did well in Ninth Gate but it wasn’t a big enough part for you to see how talented an actress she really is. I’ll have to rent RIB, very strange name for a movie.

I agree that Seigner did a wonderful job, right down to that wild final scene with her and Depp.

Okay, I meant the scene where he finds the original page from the book and is able to complete the spell. (now that I’ve spoiled the whole movie)

I think you are referring to the scene where they use her to represent the image on one page of the book

If she is supposed to be the whore of Babylon referred to in Revelations, if I remember it right that woman was supposed to be hidden away in the woods somewhere and never have contact with the ‘Beast’ - and I’m going by memory, but that is the translation that was given for the picture.Unless Polanski is going by something other than the bible - William Blake’s poem for example that I’m also no expert on, only having seen the painting from Red Dragon (Manhunter)

This is the sort of comment that drives Selfosophy Psycho crazy because I haven’t really read the books from which many filmmakers chose to take their inspiration.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Strange that you say this. You are aware that he was accused for having sex with a 13-year old right? He even fled the US for that reason...

Yes, that wasn't what I had in mind, but I had heard about that. I was thinking more in terms of women in their 20s, but unfortunately there are predators out there who prefer to violate innocence.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Her getting hit in the nose with Corso’s elbow might have been an attempt at humor. Polanski and Depp both seem birds of a feather in that regard, but if you’re suspending belief to accept what’s happening in the scene (as you did when she flew down to help) it doesn’t work and takes you out of the story completely.

Look, you can accept the woman appearing out of nowhere as strange - but possible. Flying isn’t possible, fighting off three big men like that is practically impossible. But then when you say okay so it’s supernatural - then her getting hit - is just bizarre.

I’m not really trashing the movie, I liked it and it flowed beautifully except for those two examples. But it Was funny.

I only knew Lina Olin from her role in the TV series Alias. I thought she was fantastic in that and she did well in Ninth Gate but it wasn’t a big enough part for you to see how talented an actress she really is. I’ll have to rent RIB, very strange name for a movie.

Okay, I meant the scene where he finds the original page from the book and is able to complete the spell. (now that I’ve spoiled the whole movie)

I think you are referring to the scene where they use her to represent the image on one page of the book

If she is supposed to be the whore of Babylon referred to in Revelations, if I remember it right that woman was supposed to be hidden away in the woods somewhere and never have contact with the ‘Beast’ - and I’m going by memory, but that is the translation that was given for the picture.Unless Polanski is going by something other than the bible - William Blake’s poem for example that I’m also no expert on, only having seen the painting from Red Dragon (Manhunter)

This is the sort of comment that drives Selfosophy Psycho crazy because I haven’t really read the books from which many filmmakers chose to take their inspiration.

Actually, the "wild" scene I was referring to with Seigner and Depp was the naughty one at the end :embarassed: but I forget now if it was the final scene with those two..... I hadn't thought too much of it before, but now that you mention it, the elbow to the face scene was hard to believe. Maybe Corso's charm and good looks just disarmed her and threw her off her game. Also, you could very well be right, it could have been an attempt at humor. I will have to pay more attention to that scene next time I watch the movie.

As for Lina, I never did get into Alias, so I just saw her briefly in a few scenes in that show, but she was very good in it. I also really enjoyed her role in a really good film called "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" with Daniel Day Lewis and Juliete Binoche, although it's kind of an artsy type film that I don't recommend for everyone. Romeo Is Bleeding is one that can easily be found for rental, and I do recommend that one. I remember thinking how strange the name of that movie was when it first came out, but Gary Oldman and especially Lina Olin are spectacular in it, and I thought the movie itself was great as well. There are also some nice little character roles by Roy Schieder, Julliet Lewis and Annabella Sciora (sp?). Oh, and I agree, I would have loved to see more of Lina in Ninth Gate, but she was excellent in it. When I first saw Ninth Gate, I didn't even know she was in it, so I wasn't quite so disappointed that she didn't have a bigger role.

• 1 year later...

If she is supposed to be the whore of Babylon referred to in Revelations, if I remember it right that woman was supposed to be hidden away in the woods somewhere and never have contact with the 'Beast' - and I'm going by memory, but that is the translation that was given for the picture.Unless Polanski is going by something other than the bible - William Blake's poem for example that I'm also no expert on, only having seen the painting from Red Dragon (Manhunter)

This is the sort of comment that drives Selfosophy Psycho crazy because I haven't really read the books from which many filmmakers chose to take their inspiration.

I had not heard anything about woods but the Babylonian in Rev is the mother of harlots.

Thomas i am glad to see you found the MillenniuM Movies, lol

but i wonder why are there black stripes over Eins quotes?

Hi High Plains,

Eins had the text marked this way.

It is the 'spoiler' BB Code to cover up/attract attention.

It worked.

Now I'm addicted.

It is really nice to press down on the left mouse button and drag over the black stripes and a secret message appears. Someone really smart installed this feature in the software. Don't tell anyone. :clapping:

Hi High Plains,

Eins had the text marked this way.

It is the 'spoiler' BB Code to cover up/attract attention.

It worked.

Now I'm addicted.

It is really nice to press down on the left mouse button and drag over the black stripes and a secret message appears. Someone really smart installed this feature in the software. Don't tell anyone. :clapping:

hey thats cool!

i didnt know that