Frank's Wardrobe

Rate this topic

Guest A Stranger

Guest A Stranger

Does anyone know any stories about Frank's wardrobe shift? Frank in season one wears mostly the green field jacket and mid-length brown leather jacket, as he does in season three. But in his estrangement with Catherine there was an obvious shift to a more formal look. With the polo shirts and short black jacket. I can pretty much guess the reason but was wondering if anyone has read any interviews as to who made this decision or any thoughts on the subject.

Guest Jordan

I haven't read anything specifically about any change in Frank's wardrobe. However, I think that when Morgan and Wong came on board for the second season, they did change a few things. I get the impression they wanted to lighten Frank up a little, to make him less sombre the whole time and more of a real person. Maybe a quick word with the wardrobe department was involved in that process? I did read that Chris Carter's initial rule that Lance shouldn't gesture with his hands when talking was not strictly adhered to after the first season, so maybe there were some concious changes to the character.

• 2 months later...
Guest icubud

I think it has to do with criminalistics/forensics. He goes to a scene of a crime - zips up and puts his hands in pockets.

Guest A Stranger
What I want to know is, whats Franks deal with zips? I mean he walks into a room and zips up his coat, he walks out and unzips it. What? is it always warmer outside? The studio couldnt afford heating? Its an over the top suggestion that evil acts give Frank the shivers or is it that he suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder? He does it with buttons as well dosnt he? What are they trying to say exactly?

Any thoughts anyone?

Yeah, this is one of those "you're a true fan if you notice this" type of things that fans have discussed for a long time. It's uknown if this was Chris Carter's idea or Lance's own little spin. But it seems to be a nice little pyschological insight into Frank's character. I've always seen it as Frank pyscically sheilding himself from the horrors of the crime. He does this not only in crimes scenes but when bracing himself for any tramatic situation. It's definatly one of the little things that makes MM so great.

Guest chrisnu

I thought that Frank's change in wardrobe during Season 2 was nice. It made things a little more interesting clothes-wise. During Season 1, you can't help but think (well, I can't) "Another #%#@$! raincoat!" It's like Scully wearing black. I'd rejoice when she'd wear a suit of a different color. I was absolutely giddy when she wore lavender in "Folie A Deux". :tasty: I think I'm veering into strange territory here. I'll stop now.

Guest A Stranger
I thought that Frank's change in wardrobe during Season 2 was nice. It made things a little more interesting clothes-wise. During Season 1, you can't help but think (well, I can't) "Another #%#@$! raincoat!" It's like Scully wearing black. I'd rejoice when she'd wear a suit of a different color. I was absolutely giddy when she wore lavender in "Folie A Deux". :tasty: I think I'm veering into strange territory here. I'll stop now.

What about her red pant-suit. :smokin:

Guest 19:19

i mentioned this in an diff thread earlier in the week but why did lance wear dark sunglasses for like 2 episodes??? just all of a sudden? was he trying something new or what??? any ideas?

19:19

Guest Omega
What I want to know is, whats Franks deal with zips? I mean he walks into a room and zips up his coat, he walks out and unzips it.Any thoughts anyone?

The unofficial guides mention this. It would appear that it has more to do with not contaminating the crime scene than with any phsycological 'barriers'. In the same way that movie detectives (and I would imagine real-life ones too) tuck their ties inside their shirts before examining a body. It wouldn't do if some stray fluff or dust was transposed to the body, then bagged as evidence.

Just my opinion, but then we know what they say about opinions :)

Guest A Stranger
i mentioned this in an diff thread earlier in the week but why did lance wear dark sunglasses for like 2 episodes??? just all of a sudden? was he trying something new or what??? any ideas?

19:19

I think it was the same reason as th buttoning up. He putson the glasses in "A Room Without a View" when he senses Lucy's presence. I don't know who suggested this though.

Guest A Stranger
I will try and put the matter to rest by saying that it is a combination of the two.

Frank does the coat fassening to brace himself in situations other than crime scenes. Although if you notice, in crime scenes where violence has not taken place he does not, nor in the morgue and the same contamination rules apply here dont they? It has to be for both reasons otherwise our attention would not be drawn to Frank alone in the zipping ritual. You dont see Watts or the cops undoing their coats after exiting where as Frank cant get it open fast enough. I have just watched series 1 through again and cant believe how that zip holds the amount of use it gets.

On another note, many fans have also noticed Peter often buttons his shirt collar up to the very top. This seems to have the same pyschological effect as Frank's butttoning. Maybe it's reading into it too much, it's hard to tell.