Your very favourite episode of MillenniuM?

Rate this topic

What is your very favourite MillenniuM episode ever?  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

*keeps changing his mind like the proverbial socks*

Going to plump for Midnight of the Century. I always love the beauty in Millennium's human moments: the quiet, understated nuances of it's characters and this episode is crammed with them. Its enjoyable to see our protagonists do 'normal things' and have some me time away from such irritations as world plagues, the apocalypse and seeking deranged killer after deranged killer. Thus, my favourite, festve moments are:

Lara's apparent akwardness at the Watts residence. The gooseberry syndrome we all experience at some time or other.

Roedecker in Santa hat and his festive gifts "Nothing will put you in the mood for

Christmas than a serial-killing Santa!

Frank's machismo when buying a 'Danny Dinosaur'

Lara bringing bread and fat-free eggnog and the following exchange that gives us the abridged history of Lara Means. Gotta give a nod to her angel description "Yeah, cute, cuddly, flapping their wings, blowing their little horns all over place ..."

Henry Black, the exchange between him and Frank, the final scene of the fetches...all wonderfully poetic, melancholy and without fanfare.

What an episode, may rewatch it later just to hear Jordan say that Catherine described a Giga Pet as the circle of life, and she thinks Frank has problems??

Till then,

ethsnafu

sndn1big8ty.th.jpg

blackchristmas013jx.th.jpg

Guest lonegungrrly1121

Am I right in saying that season 3 is doing the worst because most people dont own it on DVD and can't remember the episodes well??

I'm just curious, because I have it here in the UK and it's probably my favourite season...

• Elders (Admins)

Ah, there are many reasons why S3 isn't as popular as S1 and S2 and I would have to agree one reason will be the availability. I think the main things were the shock changes to the circumstances such as Frank's family, The Group and Peter Watts, at least for me anyway, however there were some great episodes. Lots of opinions and topics about S3 in the forums.

Need you ask what my favorite ep is? LOL!

I would have to say this is definitely one of the longest running discussion threads! Great poll. Good to see it is still going. Well done, Gra.

ethsnafu,

I whole heartedly agree! Those moments, and many more, are what made MLM so real and very special.

All,

As far as the popularity of the other 2 seasons over 3, I think it may be because people might not like seeing Frank in such a weathered, and partly defeated state. Personally, I think that is the strength of S3. I think that the state of Frank in S3 is in keeping with all the painful and horrible events and changes that occured in Franks life is S1 and S2. And I also think S3 is in keeping with the fact that I think that the story of Frank is a contemporary retelling of the story of Job.

Upbeat Regards,

Scott

Am I right in saying that season 3 is doing the worst because most people dont own it on DVD and can't remember the episodes well?? 

I'm just curious, because I have it here in the UK and it's probably my favourite season...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you're right...i was just making a general observation...where i live, season 3 isnt available, so i cant offer any opinions...

my question to everyone, and please dont get pissed off, is why is Luminary so popular...to be honest...i STILL dont get the ending...did the kid leave and go back to Alaska or just what happened..i guess i am just stupid..remember, i am just asking...no nasty responses....thanks..

I am always nervous when writing of an opinion in contrary to the main and I hope people who love this episode won't be offended (please?). One man's meat is another man's poison so they say........

"Yes, the life which we call blessed is to be sought for on a high eminence, and strait is the way that leads to it. Many, also, are the hills that lie between, and we must ascend, by a glorious stairway, from strength to strength. At the top is at once the end of our struggles and the goal for which we are bound"

Ah Luminary.........

Luminary, appears on the face of it, to be a artistic reworking of the factual event 'The Ascent of Mount Ventoux': though it is stated that Alex is inspired by this event it does seem that the story is directly influenced by the thoughts and experiences by Petrach. It is noted that Petrach climbed the mountain 'to see the view' - and, as noted, is often cited as the mark of a new humanistic "Renaissance" spirit but the spiritual awakening/revelation this brought upon Petrach seems to be the real message behind the episode. Petrach likened the trials and tribulations of his ascent to the struggle of the soul in its ascent to God. Rather than simply seeking a simpler form of existence Alex appears to be seeking something altogether more spiritual but struggling or as Petrach puts it (and distinctly more eloquently than I) "What thou hast repeatedly experienced to-day in the ascent of this mountain, happens to thee, as to many, in the journey toward the blessed life. But this is not so readily perceived by men, since the motions of the body are obvious and external while those of the soul are invisible and hidden." I accept that the message behind Luminary is supposed to represent this search, this conflict between the needs of the body and the needs of the soul and ultimately the rejection of mortal occupations for spiritual undertakings but.....

Here's my problem:

The experience of Petrach is revelatory, divine and more importantly full of hope. The letter he wrote to Dionisio da Borgo San Sepolcro detailing this event is full of a feeling of elation and exhilaration and ends with the direction that man should direct himself toward the single, true, certain, and everlasting good. My problem with Luminary is that I interpreted the episode as nihilistic and dark and simply couldn't feel the light that the episode is intended to depict. It is not essential for a story to have a happy ending for me to get giddy about it but Luminary felt distinctly defeatist: Alex simply cannot resist whatever is happening to him even when it brings him so close to death, it is clear that what he seeks he will not find in the Alaskan wilderness and the conclusion, for me, is that he is prepared to die out there in order to satisfy whatever compulsion has gripped him (even now I 'umm and arr' whether Alex actually killed himself at the conclusion but that is probably an interpretation too far.) I appreciate that my 'grasp' of Luminary is probably a unique perspective but I came away quite deflated. The concept that to live authentically is more important than living safely and wisely somehow smacks more of mental illness than a radical, revelatory realisation that there is a better way of being...not so if it requires you to be rescued from it.

Moans aside, it is beautiful in execution, the score is a work of art, Lance is profound as always and the prose is poetic. It's just that I'm sure Alex dies ultimately and that doesn't seem to depict a Luminary to me rather someone who made a grave error of judgement....

I hope you don't all hate me now......

Till then,

ethsnafu

Guest LadyBlack

I am infuriated because I can't (at the moment) watch "Luminary". It is the only epsiode on my DVD boxed set that won't play. I think it must just have got a bit of dirt on it, and my computer is ultra sensitive to foreign bodies, so I'm taking it to a friend's and hopefully I will be able to watch it at last.

My favourite episode to date is "Avatar" - is that the right title? I've suddenly realised I've been calling it that when of course that's the name of the killer, I can't remember the name of the episode! Edit : Of course, the title is "The Mikado"!

I thought this was very much what "MM" is all about, the very black, dark aspect of the case, the truly appalling portrayel of a killer who is genuinely terrifying. We never really learn anything about him, we never get an opening to understand him (maybe he isn't even a he - well, I'm going to go with he) and there is that oppressive feeling of doom as the numbers get higher and higher. I realised early on that there is something intrinsically bleak about the fact that in one sense it wasn't Avatar who killed the women, it was the people logging onto to the site - I mean, the episode made it clear that not all people were logging on to see the Mystery Room, they were wanting to see naked girls, but you have to wonder how many were redialling so that they could watch the killing.

I did wonder about how he managed to get the girl at the end to hold out the gun. Presumably he whispered something in her ear to make her stand with the gun outstretched like that, I just felt that there was very little time for him to have dressed her up, shoved the gun into her hand, threatened her to such an extent that she would not change position and yet not so much as to leave her in an hysterical heap on the floor. I wonder if she heard the killer shooting at Frank, whether she understood that she might be saved?

And I loved all the computer hacking stuff. It's something I'm interested in, although I note that we didn't seem to get an explanation as to how the killer was able to bounce his packets :-) so that he couldn't be traced..........

I am infuriated because I can't (at the moment) watch "Luminary".  It is the only epsiode on my DVD boxed set that won't play.  I think it must just have got a bit of dirt on it, and my computer is ultra sensitive to foreign bodies, so I'm taking it to a friend's and hopefully I will be able to watch it at last.

My favourite episode to date is "Avatar" - is that the right title?  I've suddenly realised I've been calling it that when of course that's the name of the killer, I can't remember the name of the episode!  Edit : Of course, the title is "The Mikado"!

I thought this was very much what "MM" is all about, the very black, dark aspect of the case, the truly appalling portrayel of a killer who is genuinely terrifying.  We never really learn anything about him, we never get an opening to understand him (maybe he isn't even a he - well, I'm going to go with he) and there is that oppressive feeling of doom as the numbers get higher and higher.  I realised early on that there is something intrinsically bleak about the fact that in one sense it wasn't Avatar who killed the women, it was the people logging onto to the site - I mean, the episode made it clear that not all people were logging on to see the Mystery Room, they were wanting to see naked girls, but you have to wonder how many were redialling so that they could watch the killing. 

I did wonder about how he managed to get the girl at the end to hold out the gun.  Presumably he whispered something in her ear to make her stand with the gun outstretched like that, I just felt that there was very little time for him to have dressed her up, shoved the gun into her hand, threatened her to such an extent that she would not change position and yet not so much as to leave her in an hysterical heap on the floor.  I wonder if she heard the killer shooting at Frank, whether she understood that she might be saved?

And I loved all the computer hacking stuff.  It's something I'm interested in, although I note that we didn't seem to get an explanation as to how the killer was able to bounce his packets :-) so that he couldn't be traced..........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A very heartfelt welcome to arguably the most intelligent, friendly, and factual message board on the net. There are a myriad of people here, too many to count, who will assist you in any way they can, so feel free to post without restriction....

As for The Mikado..if i remember, the episode was somewhat based on the Zodiac Killer who terrorized the San Francisco Bay Area from 1966 to 1974. So far the best site i have found is obviously www.zodiackiller.com there you will find just about everything you need to know about him. There are even two pictures on the website that represent images somewhat similar to what the suspect in The Mikado was wearing.

another parallel is that the origional Zodiac killer sent 4 cryptograms to the police, only one of them was ever solved...i have included as an attachment a copy of one of the cyrptograms sent by the killer..following is one of the 20 or so letters sent to the police by the Zodiac...

This is the Zodiac speaking. In answer to your asking for more details about the good times I have had in Vallejo, I shall be very happy to supply even more material. By the way, are the police having a good time with the code? If not, tell them to cheer up; when they do crack it, they will have me.

On the 4th of July: I did not open the car door. The window was rolled down all ready. The boy was origionaly sitting in the frunt seat when I began fireing. When I fired the first shot at his head, he leaped backwards at the same time, thus spoiling my aim. He ended up on the back seat then the floor in back thashing out very violently with his legs; that's how I shot him in the knee. I did not leave the cene of the killing with squealing tires + raceing engine as described in the Vallejo paper. I drove away quite slowly so as not to draw attention to my car. The man who told police that my car was brown was a negro about 40-45 rather shabbly dressed. I was in this phone booth having some fun with the Vallejo cop when he was walking by. When I hung the phone up the damn thing began to ring & that drew his attention to me + my car.

Last Christmass In that epasode the police were wondering how I could shoot + hit my victims in the dark. They did not openly state this, but implied this by saying it was a well lit night + I could see silowets on the horizon. Bullshit that area is srounded by high hills + trees. What I did was tape a small pencel flash light to the barrel of my gun. If you notice, in the center of the beam of light if you aim it at a wall or ceiling you will see a black or darck spot in the center of the circle of light about 3 to 6 inches across. When taped to a gun barrel, the bullet will strike in the center of the black dot in the light. All I had to do was spray them as if it was a water hose; there was no need to use the gun sights. I was not happy to see that I did not get front page coverage.

No address

Obviously, was not a spelling bee champion..my father was working in the Vallejo area during this time and he still remembers how the most palpable sense of fear gripped the Bay Area..almost to hysterical levels...

in regard to the woman in black:

who knows how he got the girl to take his place, i suppose having "fear" etched into your forehead could cause one to do things they would not ordinarily do...as a secondary source, but certainly not the last of information, go to

www.crimelibrary.com .... and put Zodiac in the search field...

anyway, good to have you aboard... :clapping:

Till the Last Change...Be Done..

fourhorseman

post-1098-1116872334.jpg

Even if I've not seen all the episodes yet  :eyes: (It will be so good for me!!! :gaba: ) I think my favourite one is "Luminary", because it's totally in adequacy (can I use this term here?)* with my vision of life, of the Universe, etc.

* I'm French

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Luminary got my vote, but curse of frank black was a very very very close 2nd.