Frank's Abilities

Rate this topic

Guest Future_Sight

Guest Future_Sight

This has probably been discussed many times, but what kind of ability do you think Frank has?

Is he an Empath?

Some Clairevoyance?

I think it's more than intuition.

He talks about feelings he gets, and also visions he has.

• Elders (Admins)

This is a good point for discussion. At the start, it was said that his 'visions' were a way of visualy depicting to the viewer, the level of intuity Frank had as he made a connection with the crime scene, the facts and evidence. I think later though throughout the series that it became more of a real sense of 'paranormal' ability and he was litterally seeing those visions and images.

I actually love talking about this topic. I tend to believe its a higher sense of intuittion. Frank has a nexus with those that are evil(paranormal). He sees because he is aloud to. Even though he sees what the killer sees and feels, I tend to believe its a GOD given gift.

Yes, as Graham staid, in the beginning, Frank was simply a profiler. Yet...if you remember, even in the first episode, it was shown that Frank is so far MORE attuned to how a killer thinks, that even Bob joked that he seemed a bit "spooky". "A few hundred years ago, and you'd have been burned at the stake as a witch, Frank."

It is common to put a "spooky" label on things we don't understand. Aliens are considered "paranormal" and "supernatural" to us NOW, but what about when contact is finally made, and seeing someone from another planet is accepted as "normal"?

Whether Frank's "gift" comes from God, or is a talent he has developed over time, or even a "gift" that his soul was predisposed to manifesting.....Who knows?

I ask myself these same questions every day. Do I sense what I do because I'm crazy? Because I just want to? Is this something I'm more sensitive to, because of my upbrining & background? Or was it a wrapped up gift handed to me by God? (however you choose to view a higher power, as something seperate, or even as a higher state of mind) I really don't know for sure. There's no way you really CAN know for sure.

Guest Future_Sight

Although Frank is not real, and it's just a story, it's very interesting.

I think he definitely has Empathic traits.

https://healing.about.com/cs/empathic/a/uc_empathtraits.htm

He would just 'know' things. He had a hunch or feeling.

I think they call this clairsentience.

Perhaps this is the real human 'intuition' at play.

Where does intuition come from? Some say they have answers, but I think it still remains a mystery.

I think the whole Millenium series was built on Frank's empathy and intuition - his abilities.

I think Frank contrasted very well with with Barry Baldwin character in the third season. Barry was rather ignorant, orientated only to senses that are here in this world. [i still felt bad when they did what they did to him at the end of the third season]

Edited by Future_Sight

Guest SouthernCelt
I think Frank contrasted very well with with Barry Baldwin character in the third season. Barry was rather ignorant, orientated only to senses that are here in this world. [i still felt bad when they did what they did to him at the end of the third season]

Yes, it was Baldwin's attitude and not his lack of sensitivities that made him almost ineffective on some of the cases. He never seemed willing to believe in Frank's gift/curse and at times was so arrogant that he refused to pursue anything suggested by Frank.

Guest ZeusFaber

From the beginning, it was made very clear that there was nothing paranormal about Frank's facility. It only seems that way to outsiders who cannot understand the thought process. The DVD documentaries about the Academy Group, of which the Millennium Group was originally intended to mirror, does very well to illustrate how profilers work in real life, and how what can seem spooky to some actually has a very deliberate and methodical logic to it.

The visual motif could make this confusing to casual audiences, which is doubtless why Frank's dialogue in the pilot is made to very specifically state "NOT A PSYCHIC". Nevertheless, this became muddied the longer the series went on, with noteworthy episodes in this chain including "Sacrament", "Beware of the Dog", "A Single Blade of Grass", and "Midnight of the Century".

Guest Moriarty

Frank's gift has changed through every season. Season 1: he could put himself in the head of the killer. I think that most people made a mistake and that they took the images the viewer sees to literally. Those images were just a metaphoric way of putting Frank's thoughts on te screen. Then, in season 2, M&W decided that his gift, the way we knew it in season 1, was not as they wanted to use it. So they decided that Frank had to loose his gift before having it returned to him in a slightly different way (this happens in ASBOG, an episode that I tought was very poor). And really, they used his gift completely different as Carter intended it but hey, that's just IMHO. I mean, all of the sudden they made him see angels an demons... Finally, in season 3, his gift was used in yet another way. I feel that the writers did not pay enough attention to it in that season. There was an episode where Frank mentions that his gift has changed and that he now could see from the victim's side but that was about it. The only episode where they paid some attention to it was 7 and 1. Which was meant to be the series finale according to me but that's another discussion. And yes, his gift/curse was one of the centerpeaces of MM in the first season. But due to the change of writers each season I think that this matter never had any believable follow up. Just my opinion.