Elders

Rate this topic

Guest Second Coming

Guest Second Coming

haha, that's what Morman's call themselves. These two pimple faced "Elders" came to my door awhile back. Just saw The Old Man's title and it reminded me of that.

Guest LauraKrycek

Not all Mormons call themselves that, just ones that hold a certain level of priesthood. Mormons call each other Brother and Sister (for instance, I'd be Sister Jordan). If you hold the priesthood in your local church, you're Elder So-And-So. Then if you're in the position that other churches would call preacher or pastor, you're Bishop So-And-So. There's also the Prophet, who's the current leader of the church (I guess he's like the Mormon's Pope). You can only hold any level of priesthood if you've gone on a mission, which involves traveling to someplace else (can be a few towns over or on the other side of the world -- my dad went to Australia, an ex-professor of mine went to Japan) and going door-to-door and trying to convert people.

This public service announcement brought to you by Laura, your friendly neighborhood Mormon expert. No charge. :tongue:

Sorry, I was Mormon till I was 14, and my dad happens to be one of the most well-known and most knowledgable expert on Mormonism out there (just do a Google search for "Randy Jordan Mormon" -- go, go!), so I know a few things about it and had to make it specified.

Guest Jordan

I don't think it's silly - its just different to many other religions. I guess those titles make the congregation seem like a family. Laura, are those titles used in informal situations or just in church?

Guest LauraKrycek
I don't think it's silly -  its just different to many other religions.  I guess those titles make the congregation seem like a family.  Laura, are those titles used in informal situations or just in church?

They're used with each other on a regular basis, all of the time. Growing up, I knew everyone older than me as Brother or Sister So-And-So. It felt very weird not calling some of the people my mom is still friends with by those names, but I'm mostly over it now. I still kind of want to fall into it when we're talking about people who we don't see anymore, though. Many other churches have the "titles" thing, too; just don't ask me which ones b\c I know they do, I just don't rmr which right now :tongue:

Sorry, but I will only call nuns Sisters and monks Brothers in that way (even though I'm not religious.

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

(who loved Caedfel which is a show about a monk (who was once a kinght in the Crusades) during the medievil times that investigates crimes)

Guest LauraKrycek
Sorry, but I will only call nuns Sisters and monks Brothers in that way (even though I'm not religious.

Maybe that's what I was thinking about w\ other religions doing it too. I'll look it up later, maybe, when I have time.

Guest LauraKrycek
I just thought it was funny to see 19 and a 17 yr old pimple faced kids call themselves "Elders".

Well, he wouldn't've been 17 -- Mormon men go on missions when they're 19 and no sooner. Sometimes people can go later, but that's very rare. But still, I know what you mean :tongue: