Elders

Rate this topic

Guest Second Coming

Well, he wouldn't've been 17 -- Mormon men go on missions when they're 19 and no sooner. Sometimes people can go later, but that's very rare. But still, I know what you mean :tongue:

I felt it silly that Mormons had to go on missions (and on their own money) only to give 10 percent of their earnings to the church for the rest of their lives (or as long as they are with the Mormons/cult/whatever you want to call them).

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

Guest LauraKrycek
I felt it silly that Mormons had to go on missions (and on their own money) only to give 10 percent of their earnings to the church for the rest of their lives (or as long as they are with the Mormons/cult/whatever you want to call them).

Yep... it's pretty stupid. But a whole lot of people do it, and not just for the Mormons; many other religions do the same thing (but I think Mormon missionaries are more like sentinels than are the other religions' missionaries). And yep, they're supposed to give 10%, no matter what, b\c if you give to the Church, God will give back to you. Well, he gave back to us by making us see the truth and getting our behinds out of there.

Guest SouthernCelt
Yep... it's pretty stupid.  But a whole lot of people do it, and not just for the Mormons; many other religions do the same thing (but I think Mormon missionaries are more like sentinels than are the other religions' missionaries).  And yep, they're supposed to give 10%, no matter what, b\c if you give to the Church, God will give back to you.  Well, he gave back to us by making us see the truth and getting our behinds out of there.

I can agree with your obvious rejection of the Mormon theology since I find a lot of it hard to accept, especially with most of it having come from a self-declared prophet of relatively recent times.

In their defense though, I grew up in/near a small town that had a fairly large Mormon congregation and found the Mormons of all ages to be some of the most moral, charitable people around. And they didn't do a lot of proselytizing to people of other faiths which went a long way to helping them be accepted in an area that was basically So. Baptist, Methodist, and Presbyterian.

Guest LauraKrycek
I can agree with your obvious rejection of the Mormon theology since I find a lot of it hard to accept, especially with most of it having come from a self-declared prophet of relatively recent times.

In their defense though, I grew up in/near a small town that had a fairly large Mormon congregation and found the Mormons of all ages to be some of the most moral, charitable people around.  And they didn't do a lot of proselytizing to people of other faiths which went a long way to helping them be accepted in an area that was basically So. Baptist, Methodist, and Presbyterian.

Um... I don't know if you read any of the rest of this discussion, but I'm not rejecting Mormonism because of it seeming cultish or weird. I was a Mormon until I was 14, so I know firsthand about all of that stuff. Yes, everyone looks happy, but it's not until you get out that that "happiness" is merely that everyone is brainwashed. One of my mom's best friends was the perfect Mormon housewife for a good 12 years, and after asking my mom why she left the Church and getting a straight answer, she began to question. Now she's divorced and Pagan. The best statement I ever heard her give about leaving the Church was "I'm never going to wear another one of those stupid jumper dresses again!"

And maybe you didn't notice your particular set of Mormons saying anything about other faiths... but when I was little, I remember being told in Primary (where all children go until they turn 12, then they separate the boys and girls into their different classes to be trained to be missionaries\prophets and housewives, respectively) that we could be *friends* with someone who wasn't a member of the Church, but we couldn't be *best* friends; plus, we had to share our faiths with those children who weren't a part of the Church, and if they spoke against it, we shouldn't be their friends anymore. I was all of 6 or 7 at this time.

Some people see Mormons as relatively harmless, and sometimes they can be. But like anything, they shouldn't just be taken at face value and left at that. Unfortunately, almost all Mormons themselves take their own religion only at face value without actually asking *what* they believe; that's why we were part of the Church for so long, and the discovery of what it was that we believed was a large part of our leaving.

Guest Jordan

I find it pretty amazing that someone can follow a certain religion without really knowing what it's all about. I work with a Catholic lady who's in her late 40's, she's been Catholic all her life. Whenever I ask her questions about her beliefs, she hasn't known the answer or has been very vague. I wonder what it is she actually does at church on a Sunday.