This is going to be a silly question

Rate this topic

Guest lilblackgirl

Guest lilblackgirl

I never really watched XF much when it was in was in it's run until the very end. I now watch it habitually in sindication, every night and on weekends. I know that the first couple of seasons were similar to MM (it's 1st season) in that it was mostly a 'serial killer of the week' type of thing. Then, we created subplots dealing with Mulder and Scully and other cast members. My confusion lies with the nefarious 'old men' group (i don't know their official title) that included the 'smoking man' and the other ones bent on world domination. Can someone explain to me what their purpose was and why they were a part of the show? I saw the ep last night where the smoking man was killed and Scully went into remission for her cancer and the 'group' was involved (especially an older gentleman with one bottom tooth and some very bad acting). I've checked around for other XF BB and the official site appears to have been shut down.

thanks,

Lil

(this is really Strich, but i've lost my password and can't get anyone to reset it for me so i opened a new account :bigsmile: )

Edited by lilblackgirl

Guest SouthernCelt

Hello and welcome even if you're coming back in under a new name.

:smily_tooth_big:

You call your question silly but I don't think it is. I watched the all the shows up through the next to last season in their original Fox airing but then the Fox affiliate here switched to WB so I haven't seen the last season's shows. I've still got questions about some of the alien invasion mythology that I've never had answered.

Since I'm not really going to be able to succinctly answer your question, you may find this response silly. Have you seen the X-Files movie ("Fight the Future")? If not, there are some parts of the plotline you might understand better if you watch it.

Since most of the members who post regularly here are fans of X-Files as well as Millenium, I'm sure some of them can give you some quick details to help. If others aren't forthcoming with responses, I'll try to get back with more details when I have time to put fingers to keyboard for a longer time. :bigsmile:

Guest lilblackgirl

Yes, i have seen the film a number of times. I'm not sure whether thinking about it confuses me more or answers my questions. I guess it kind of sheds some light on my question, but not much.

On a side note, i'm pretty excited, because i just signed up for Netflix and they have all seasons available for rental, so i can catch up on the eps i haven't seen and try to make sense of my confusion. :angry:

Guest LauraKrycek

Ah, the Consortium, aka the Syndicate. Their purpose, in short, was working as an underground faction of the government with the express aim to keep the existence of extraterrestrials from being common knowledge. As well, they communicated with the aliens, who were planning to colonize planet Earth. They were given alien fetuses, telling the aliens that they were using them to figure out how to help the aliens and make human drones to be their servants; in actuality, they were using it to make an antidote for "purity", or the alien blood that takes over a human host (there was more than one kind: one controlled the host, and one simply caused gestation of a new alien life form inside the host).

That's the gist of it, anyway.

OMG :thankx-big: Laura!

That was such a consise and wonderful summery.... I was wondering how I'd ever manage to summerize a complicated plot-line like that, but you managed it wonderfuly! :yes_big: Well done! :thumbsup_big:

And, to Lil....

welcomemoonfairy.jpg

Yes, i have seen the film a number of times.  I'm not sure whether thinking about it confuses me more or answers my questions.  I guess it kind of sheds some light on my question, but not much. 

On a side note, i'm pretty excited, because i just signed up for Netflix and they have all seasons available for rental, so i can catch up on the eps i haven't seen and try to make sense of my confusion. :angry:

HA! LOL! just 2-minutes ago i did a post and mentioned NETFLIX which i just rejoined last week after after having to cancel my membership in late 2000. NETFLIX is awesome,-(especially if you have a dvd-burner :devil01::eyes: )

se7en :ouro:

Guest LauraKrycek
OMG :thankx-big:  Laura!

That was such a consise and wonderful summery....  I was wondering how I'd ever manage to summerize a complicated plot-line like that, but you managed it wonderfuly! :yes_big: Well done! :thumbsup_big:

:grin2: :tongue: Well, I try. I haven't spent the last 5 1/2 years of my life studying and talking about the show for nothing, then, I guess. What's knowing everything about it if you can't share it in 150 words or less? :tongue:

Guest lilblackgirl

Laura,

Thanks so much for the summation. It's all *starting* to make a little more sense. And i stress *starting*. Which, in turn, opens up a whole new set of questions, but that definitely helps a lot. Can anyone tell me what season the Syndicate was introduced? And, was Mulder's dad part of the Syndicate? Or was he just like Mulder, out to find the truth?

Sorry, i'll quit, otherwise i'll be here all night long.

Again, thanks Laura!

Guest LauraKrycek
Laura,

Thanks so much for the summation.  It's all *starting* to make a little more sense.  And i stress *starting*.  Which, in turn, opens up a whole new set of questions, but that definitely helps a lot.  Can anyone tell me what season the Syndicate was introduced?  And, was Mulder's dad part of the Syndicate?  Or was he just like Mulder, out to find the truth?

Sorry, i'll quit, otherwise i'll be here all night long.

Again, thanks Laura!

Crap! I just wrote a whole post and hit something, and it all disappeared! Crapsucker! Anyway... try to pick it back up.

You're welcome! Don't totally expect everything to fall into place, because there were still avenues that they left hanging open. You didn't really expect 1013 to put it into a nice little box, now didja? :tongue:

Not sure when exactly the Syndicate really began appearing, but signs of them were always there. CSM was in the Pilot, being dastardly as always (well, really more shadowy than dastardly; in the beginning, at least). They kind of slowly snuck up, I think.

William Mulder used to be a member of the Consortium, but he left them at some point, I think mainly because of disagreeing with a lot of what they were doing. And they didn't really think he posed a threat, I guess, since he was still around, but finally got antsy and decided to off him only when it looked like he was going to start sharing his valuable secrets with his son (which he was probably about to, moments after he was shot). He knew truths that he wasn't willing to share, even about his own daughter's disappearance and whereabouts.