The meaning of your username

Rate this topic

Guest Second Coming

Guest wookiehermit

Well, nothing Millenniumistic about my name (unless you count the Falcon :;): ).  

It's just been my online identity since the first thing I've signed up for 8 or so years ago.

Wookie (my nickname) was already taken on that message forum, and so was Hermit (the tarot card I most identify with), so I combined them.

Guest PROVO_SIX

Apocalypse Now is one of my all-time favs.  Lt Col Wm Kilgore (duval) has the call-sign, BigDuke6.  Being an Army Infantry vet, 6 is usually the designator for the batallion commander.  I've been known online as SIX since '99 (my Half-Life days).

No offense to our M8s accross the pond, but the Provo is an addition since 2001, short for "provisional", as in an extreme faction.

Six has been simple, infrequently used, and "Provo" adds a little political, paramilitary flavor to it.

Again, I love my fellow Brits and Irishman...and there is no offense intended or correlation/association with the IRA.

Guest MSandt

Half-Life days? Online or did you made/played mods?

Apocalypse Now sure is great. Have you seen the Redux version? It's even better.

Nothing mysterious behind my username - My real name is Mikko Sandt so MSandt is a bit shorter version of it.

Guest PROVO_SIX

Just an over-the-hill HL and mod player... hehe.

Honestly, I feel dirty after watching the Redux.  I really appreciate the editing and character development in the original.  I identify with Cpt. Willard much more as an enigmatic figure who kept a distance from the crew.  Col Kurtz and Willard also forged a closer bond in Redux.

Redux also ruined the Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore character (for me)...making hime more of a flake...adding cut lines.  Again, the edited original version is a master-piece.  I don't think there has ever been a redux version of a movie that changed it front-to-end so drastically.

I first saw A.N. in 1982 when we first got HBO.  I was only 15...and over 200 viewings later, I still love the original.   I read Josef Conrad's Heard of Darkness, it was a good read, but I really am floored by the spectacular Viet Nam period adaptation to the novel.

:grin2: sometimes I can picture myself falling off the deep-end like Kurtz andWillard.   ...crawling on the edge of a straight-razor, and surviving. :angryred:  :eyes:  :cry:  :rofl::no:

Guest MSandt

I was fifteen too when I saw it for the first time - but that was three years ago:wink:

Anyways Redux really had bigger impact on me than the original. It made everything deeper. I liked the dialogue between Willard & that Frenchman (although Willard didn't speak much). And the 'test' between Willard & Kurtz  was more fascinating. Did you checked the alternative ending? Quite cool.

Ever played 'Heart of Evil' mod for HL which is partly based on Apocalypse Now?  :p

Guest Pencil Machine Operator

My namesake's a guy  in a film who turns decapitated heads (can a head be decapitated?) into those little erasers on the ends of pencils...seriously.

hey Provo and Sandt, isnt it a pity you cant play HL online anymore without having to download some patch for 15 hours? (well, 15 hours with my crappy modem anyway...)

Guest TrippleNipple

Hi all!

First post for me so this thread seemed as good as any.

The explanation for my name is a lot simpler than most, I have a certain extra 'appendage' and TrippleNipple was the nickname my mum gave me. . .

Guest Polaroid Stalker

Three guesses where *my* user-name came from.  :laugh_big:

-- The Stalker

"I smell bacon, I smell pork. Run little piggy, I got a fork!"

:ouro:

:Ouro_Large:  :Owls_Ouro_Large:

Guest fisbin

Fisbin...was a cardgame fictitiously concosted by Capt Kirk to distract their captors, when he & Spock were visiting the Iotians, who had adopted a "gangster/mob" way of governing their planet, learned I believe, from an earth book left there by a previous Starfleet vessel from a past mission. Title of episode was "A Piece of the Action"... check?...right!   :smokin:

live long & prosper.