Whats Your Fav. Top Ten Episodes

Rate this topic

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Merry Christmas all. Compiling a top ten for a show as consistently excellent as Millennium is extremely difficult. There are so many episodes that I'd like to include. Discipline however whittles us down to this selection which I consider to be as close to perfection as you'll get:

1. Gehenna.

2. Covenant.

3. Lamentation.

4. Maranatha.

5. The Beginning and the End.

6. Sense and Antisense.

7. Skull and Bones.

8. Collateral Damage.

9. The Sound of Snow.

10. Bardo Thodol.

Very difficult indeed. At least it wasn't a Top 5 or god help us Top Three!

MDM.

Guest SouthernCelt

Well, here goes. If you were to ask again tomorrow the list might differ (except that 'Luminary' will always be on top), but for today....

1. Luminary

2. 4th Horseman/Time is Now

3. Owls/Roosters

4. Hand of St. Sebastian

5. Midnight of the Century

6. Sound of Snow

7. Beware of the Dog

8. Lamentation

9. Powers, Prinicpalities, Thrones & Dominions

10. Pilot

Guest betweenthelines

No matter what else may be on our lists, I guess we're all in agreement on how 'Pilot' was.

::waits for someone to post a Top Ten list without that episode::

• 1 month later...
Guest e.v. tooms

the Curse of Frank Black

the Mikado

owls/roosters

the fourth horseman/the time is near

the hand of St. Sabastian

via dolorosa/goodbye to all that

lamentation

powers principalities thrones and dominions

jose chungs doomsday defence

somehow satan got behind me

sorry, betweentheLines!

Guest Laurent.

Via Dolorosa / Goodbye to all that

Pilot

Lamentation

The Thin White Line (I know some may be surprised)

Fourth Horseman / The time is now

Midnight of the century

The Curse of Frank Black

Somehow, Satan got behind me

The Mikado

Seven and one

Just as a random comment on the preceding list (and in the hope of starting a discussion), I hated "The Hand of Saint-Sebastian". I found it hard to get into, unrealistic, cheap... The dead corpses seemed like a bad Halloween decoration (even though I have no idea what they would look like anyway), the bad-guys seemed like they were out of a stereotyped 90's action movie about german spies, and the "pursuit" in the warehouse was completely ridiculous. It may be due to a lack of budget/time, yet they managed to do an amazing job with the same kind of story on Owls/Roosters. One of my least favorite Millennium episode (and maybe the only one that I dislike).

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Via Dolorosa / Goodbye to all that

Pilot

Lamentation

The Thin White Line (I know some may be surprised)

Fourth Horseman / The time is now

Midnight of the century

The Curse of Frank Black

Somehow, Satan got behind me

The Mikado

Seven and one

Just as a random comment on the preceding list (and in the hope of starting a discussion), I hated "The Hand of Saint-Sebastian". I found it hard to get into, unrealistic, cheap... The dead corpses seemed like a bad Halloween decoration (even though I have no idea what they would look like anyway), the bad-guys seemed like they were out of a stereotyped 90's action movie about german spies, and the "pursuit" in the warehouse was completely ridiculous. It may be due to a lack of budget/time, yet they managed to do an amazing job with the same kind of story on Owls/Roosters. One of my least favorite Millennium episode (and maybe the only one that I dislike).

Lots of nice lists here, and I see many of my favorites, but I don't think I could really put together a top 10. There are just so many great ones that are so close that it's hard to rank them. OK, I'm going to take the bait on St. Sebastian. From what I have seen in pictures of mummified remains, the bodies actually looked pretty realistic to me. Keep in mind that they were really well preserved in the mud that they were found in. I have discussed this episode many times here, so forgive any repetition. It really didn't make much of an impact on me the first couple of times, but somewhere along the way, it really grew on me and I have come to love it. I just think it is a playful departure from the usual. As is the case with episodes like "Pest House", I think they were trying to go for a feel, and I think they were trying to go for an old spy movie feel in this one. As with all of the lighter episodes, it took a while to catch on with me, and I think this is because I was always geared up for the dark, serious Millennium when I tuned in. I really enjoyed the dialogue between Peter and Frank as well as the Roedecker scenes. I think the stereotyped German characters were deliberate, and intended to add to the fun and lightness of the episode. I mean, lets face it, Morgan and Wong have created a lot of serious and completely believable characters in the past, so I don't know why they would suddenly not have the ability to do so. This, to be sure, is one of those love it or hate it episodes. I have seen it ranked very low on some lists, and then other reliable sources, such as the Millennial Abyss, have it rated as a 5 out of 5. Regardless of whether or not you liked the episode, in my personal opinion, the problems that people had with it were intentional things they were trying for to entertain, as opposed to examples of incompetence. After all, if Morgan and Wong really sucked, they would not have had the opportunity to write and work on countless episodes of Millennium and X-files.

Guest ZeusFaber
Just as a random comment on the preceding list (and in the hope of starting a discussion), I hated "The Hand of Saint-Sebastian".

I agree with you on this. My feelings about it have been well-documented in other threads, so I wont rehash them again here. Suffice it to say that I agree wholehearedly with your dislike for the episode.

OK, here's my top 10 list. Although my preferences change from time to time, this list includes my absolute favourites. Excuse me for counting two-parters as one episode, but I just had to include them this way.

10. Pilot

The perfect introduction for the series, dark and thrilling.

9. Seven And One

One of the best season 3 episodes with fantastic performances.

8. José Chung's "Doomsday Defense"

OK, I couldn't resist including this funny episode. I especially love Giebelhouse in it!

7. Owls / Roosters

Dramatic, mysterious and thrilling, a very special MM "movie".

6. The Sound Of Snow

This episode nearly drove me to tears. Extremely touching and at times very mysterious.

5. The Mikado

Maybe the most thrilling episode of MM ever, a rollercoaster ride with a story that should have been concluded in a sequel!

4. The Curse Of Frank Black

The most atmospheric of all episodes. I never forgot that one after seeing it the first time and the reason why I had to get my hands on the DVDs!

Now, on to the Top 3:

3. Maranatha

This simply blew me away! The anti-christ in a thriller series, in an episode that includes atmosphere as well as action.

2. Lamentation / Powers, Principalities, Thrones And Dominions

Two very different episodes forming a larger picture, frightning, yet full of hope. The ultimate masterpiece of season 1 with the scariest villain ever created on TV: Lucy Butler!

And my absolute favourite for now and always:

1. The Fourth Horseman / The Time Is Now

I never saw an episode of a TV show before that left me staring at the TV for several minutes after it ended. The apocalypse as an actual event, in a really frightning and yet realistic manner. Experimental and daring, thrilling and sad, all at the same time. Only the last two "Twin Peaks" episodes could compete with this (if at all). I know there are many who will disagree, but I think this is the absolute highlight of the show (and would have been the perfect final episode)!

As you can see I'm a huge fan of season 2, just because there was and is nothing else like it.

• 5 months later...
Guest Shaggy

1. Somehow Satan Got Behind Me

2. Pilot

3. Lamentation

4. Powers, Principalities, Thrones and Dominions

5. Borrowed Time

6. The Beginning and the End

7. Midnight of the Century

8. Antipas

9. Goodbye Charlie

10. The Well-Worn Lock