Questions about Darwin's Eye

Rate this topic

Guest notbadforahuman

Wow, what a great read, that link of that review. I'll check out the others for sure.

This episode is really deep and I've never myself looked so deep into a Millennium episode.

I remember the orderly was killed very recently after he started working there, either this is a huge Millennium Group conspiracy (even Frank has a nuclear explosive vision/flash and Emma's dad is watching a tape with similar explosions on it) or Cass saw some military markings on that orderly to awaken her Darwin's Eye again. Heck, it could be both but there's no connection between the A and B storyline.

I know they explained why no one has found out about the head in the motel, it was covered with lime or something, there's a line in the episode. So they explained that.

Could Cass have changed clothes, or washed up as the orderly's head was after all found in a bathroom in a very elaborate place.

But despite little nit-picks this episode is a winner

And it was nice that they changed things up, had Baldwin teamed up with Frank for once.

The Rogue's Eye view was created by one Matt Assendorf who, as we know, went on to write Millennium VS4 but the individual reviews were written by Rick Smith and they are well worth the attention of anyone who enjoys Millennium. Head on over here to check out similarly brilliant reviews for almost every episode of the show. That's dedication folks.

Eth

• 7 years later...

Very interesting ethsnafu caught the link of this ep to Closure. I thought a similar thing... The idea of  Crime without reason.  A perfect counterpoint to season 1; in which Frank's power of getting inside the mind of the killer was tantamount. These two episodes signal a marked shift in Frank's ability: away from the texture of intuitive understanding, and into "procedural resolution," as it were.

Let me restate: these two episodes conjure the "serial killer of the week" formula that Millennium season 1 marked for itself, and turned them on their heads... Peter Watts told Frank in Season 2 that his powers would get stronger. In season 3, have they? Perhaps: Less is the hubris of "understanding," more is the concern with "resolution." Who isn't glad that Frank was able to grab this dame by the arm and yank her back to her cell? Counterpoint to "Loins Like a Hunting Flame" where old yeller puts himself to sleep.

Sorry, I'm rambling, massaging an idea I shouldn't be in this state. Beer. Burp. Belch.

I'd certainly be more dismissive of this season but for ethnsafu's illuminating signal markers.... And the sheer joy of watching Frank's hair dye degrade. ;)

Eth's link took me to a production site but there was nothing there about MLM.  Oh well.

Eth is now a retired moderator, but he does stop by every once in awhile.  He is so dearly missed, and I wish he were here to reply to your post.

I believe in season 3 Frank understood his ability more, and in more control of it, but after all that he went through in season 1 & 2, and losing Catherine, I also believe that he didn't want to use it, but was forced to so he could maintain his sanity.  And, the evil in episodes in season 3 were deeper and more spiritual,  becoming so much more of a challenge for him than dealing with killers every week.

"Beer----->  Belch" would be proud of your burp.

I watched some of Season 1 yesterday.  Frank's ability was solid in all 3 seasons.  I think in season 3 he  dialed it back to "catching the bad man" .. instead of leaving it where the group had aimed it.    He went from trying to become the capability in men with an occasional side trip to the demonic , to becoming the capability in demons with an occasional side trip back to humans, , back to becoming the capability in men again, with an occasional side trip to  the demonic ... like in season 1.

Sorry, in a way I have to disagree about Franks ability.  The ability itself was strong, but his understanding of it was shaky.  I believe he felt like he needed guidance, and had questions to be answered, both for himself and of course Jordan.  The "Walkabout" episode is a perfect example of this, by joining the study to find out more about it.  But obviously,  it helped but it didn't, since the study was a crime in itself.

He went back and forth depending upon the kind of evil he was dealing with, whether demonic, mentally disturbed or insane.  To me, the source of all the evil that men do is demonic.

Reminds me of a quote by Mark Twain ~

Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it.  (The Lowest Animal)

Edited by Earthnut

When he tells Bletch in the pilot episode, he seems to have a good grasp.   Then in season 2 he's all over the place.  He's also, in Walkabout, really seeing Jordan's gift emerging, and he claims in that episode he wanted to find answers for her. He not every taking a pill, ever, was researching medication for her.  Which I thought very NOT like Frank Black. Why would he put his daughter on medication to stop what he knew wasn't  mental illness?  Weird. But,  to spare her what he and Lara had to deal with.... Then in 3 he accepts his gift as what it is again,  doesn't seem so tortured by it,   and does his best  to talk to Jordan about hers, though,  she's not willing.   Emma sure finds out both He and Jordan see things though.

Darwin's eye isn't one I care for.  It just never  "fit"  to me. I'll have to revisit to see if my opinion of that one has changed like it has with some others.

Yes, I agree, it isn't like Frank to have it okay for Jordan to take pills when he wouldn't, but probably thinking that with the meds, she wouldn't be tortured with the ability like he and Lara, which were different.  Lara's was seeing "her" angel, or at least she thought it was hers.  An messenger she didn't understand, either way.  Having a grasp, then not having one, would be difficult to deal with, and probably because of the changes in circumstances, and people, since we are all different.

As I have said in a number of other posts, I believe both Frank and Lara were having spiritual experiences, Lara's was spiritual visitations/visions, and Franks was his spirit connecting with the killer's.  The spirit realm is not bound by time or space.  I sometimes wonder what the show would have been like if the writers had pursued that direction even more than they did, which in some episodes was a lot.  I did notice though, that often we were left with questions, not answers.

Actually, a number of episodes didn't really fit into the show, but as we know, each season had multiple writers and producers  But even if we think those episodes didn't fit, they were still good.  GO MLM ! !  :ouro:

I'll take all the  seasons, each had good shows.    Yes changes in writers makes for Lotsa 'splainin to do! LOL   I know Frank didn't want to  take pills, hated them.  Yeah, weird he'd search out a pill cure for Jordan, but he was simply doing research I think.  Probably hoping for something to offer and let her choose for herself when she got older.  

I think without the group, Lara might have  been okay.  They egged her on,  put her in harm's way as it were, so she kept seeing her angel... Whereas if she had been a librarian or something, she could have avoided it.  Whether or not she understood it, I don't know.  But  as a monday morning quarterback, I'd have to say she was in teh wrong line of work for someone whose gift was making them insane!

Totally agree with you seesthru, each season has its good episodes, which to me were most of them.   From what I've read here in the past, most people favor season two.  I just love the show.  :ouro:

• Like 1