Near Dark

Rate this topic

Guest Befallen

Guest Befallen

I just saw Near Dark mentioned in the favourite Lance movie-thread, and I checked it out. Turns out it's a vampire flick! For some reason, that really surprised me.

Now, I know Lance's resume is a bit uneven and that vampire movies have a tendency to be.. campy. But I know I can trust you people's taste, so, tell me, is it any good? :) I mean for real. I know Lance's always good, but the rest of it...?

Guest SouthernCelt
I just saw Near Dark mentioned in the favourite Lance movie-thread, and I checked it out. Turns out it's a vampire flick! For some reason, that really surprised me.

Now, I know Lance's resume is a bit uneven and that vampire movies have a tendency to be.. campy. But I know I can trust you people's taste, so, tell me, is it any good? :) I mean for real. I know Lance's always good, but the rest of it...?

Although the story departs from the basic vampire mythology with regard to how a human becomes a vampire and whether he/she can ever be "cured," it's a well-acted flik. Pretty gory in a couple of places. The "old" vampires, Lance et al, look like a reunion from "Aliens" since three of the group were in that movie as well. It's not a movie I'd pay full DVD price for, but if it was on sale for under $10, I'd buy it.

Yes, it is a bit "campy" and will appeal to those who like vampire/werewolf movies. It will definitely not appeal to anyone who doesn't like horror movies or gore.

:thumbsup_big:

Guest Befallen

I see. Thank you all for the replies.

The thing is I was hoping that there was a movie that actually treated vampires seriously. I mean, I just bought The Lost Boys, and everybody I talked to made it up to be a classic, but, come on... there was hardly one scary moment, and reading up on the vampire lore in -comic books-... eh. No. That was one horrible resolution.

But this does sound kinda cool. Seeing how you all likes it I'll definately keep an eye out for it :) Thanks.

• 11 months later...
Guest Frank Black Jr.

i have a copy in my DVD collection and its awesome.....i have the anniversary additions and the extras are awesome!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I normally do not watch Vamp movies but I did like this movie.  Its not in the same vein as 'Van Helsing' but worth the buy. I have the older THX version from 1987.. wonder if the xtras are different ?? [skip Mangler 2  :tongue: even Lance can not save this one  :puke: ]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First off, where did you get the "puke" smiley thing? That is hilarious in a sick kind of way. Its that one of the normal selections here? I have never seen that one. OK, on to "Near Dark". I thought it was very good, but not great. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it about a 7.5, but then again, it has been a couple of years sense I last saw it, so maybe my score would be different had I just seen it last night. The acting is outstanding, and this does have some nice originality for a vampire movie. This was is worth a look, but I'm kind of glad I rented it as opposed to buying it. Not that it isn't worthy of being in a collection, just that it isn't something I would find myself watching again and again.