Stumbled Upon Millenium

Guest cutiepie

Guest cutiepie

Hi Everyone, I'm just new to this site and thought I would drop by and say hello. :hiya:

I stumbled upon Millenium by accident while awake in the early hours of the morning and an episode came on TV (I was only 13 when the series started so I'm guessing thats why I never saw it first time around). As soon as the episode finished I was completely hooked. I went out and bought all 3 DVD series and loved every single part of them but am completely and utterly gutted at the ending. After looking through the internet I realised the show was axed and have no plans to make any more. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am, I thought for sure there would be a 4th series as there is so much more Frank Black has to do........ Although they filmed an X Files as a way of giving us an ending I am so disappointed. Can anyone tell me why the show was axed - I'm gutted, as you all will be too.............

Frank Black is a legend!

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Hi Everyone, I'm just new to this site and thought I would drop by and say hello. :hiya:

I stumbled upon Millenium by accident while awake in the early hours of the morning and an episode came on TV (I was only 13 when the series started so I'm guessing thats why I never saw it first time around). As soon as the episode finished I was completely hooked. I went out and bought all 3 DVD series and loved every single part of them but am completely and utterly gutted at the ending. After looking through the internet I realised the show was axed and have no plans to make any more. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am, I thought for sure there would be a 4th series as there is so much more Frank Black has to do........ Although they filmed an X Files as a way of giving us an ending I am so disappointed. Can anyone tell me why the show was axed - I'm gutted, as you all will be too.............

Frank Black is a legend!

Hi cutiepie,

Like you, I was also hooked after the first episode that I saw, and like you, was also devastated when it ended prematurely. The inner workings of the show seemed to get very complicated in the last couple of seasons, but in short, I think the final clincher on the show being canceled came down to ratings simply not being good enough. In the last two seasons, there seemed to be a lot of turmoil amongst the shows creators, and disagreement on the direction of the show. As has been discussed here many times, Chris Carter, the creator of X-files and Millennium, pretty much abandoned Millennium and left the show in the hands of writers Morgan and Wong, who also wrote many episodes of X-files. Morgan and Wong took the reins in season two, and kind of took the show in a different direction, which, as you probably noticed, made season two feel a lot different than season one. After season two ended, I think Chris Carter and others involved pretty much decided that they didn't really like what Morgan and Wong did in season two, and Morgan and Wong would never participate in the final season, season three. Instead of continuing along the path established in season two, Chris Carter and the other writers kind of brushed season two under the carpet and started over. In my opinion, this kind of threw viewers out of whack for a while, and the fact that the first few episodes of season three were not viewed as being among the better episodes by most fans didn't help matters. I think they lost some people early in season three, including the few other people I knew who watched the show. For this reason, and probably countless other reasons, the viewers, and therefore the ratings just weren't there, and the show was canceled. Of course, this is only my account, and a very simplified one at that, but these are just my thoughts on what went wrong. I would have loved at least a couple more years of this show, but it just wasn't in the cards. :cry:

Welcome cutiepie...............

To me it seemed that Chris Carter and Co. probably thought the end was near for MM but it was cancelled without warning. If i remember right didnt they announce the cancellation shortly after the airing of Season Three Finale?

I think thats why MM has no closure but once again in the X-File epi "MilleniuM" there was no closure at all. Which gives me the notion once the legal issues are over with Carter and Fox we should see something in the near future with X-Files 2 and a Frank Black movie. Carter did go on record after the cancellation on plans about a Frank Black movie but it wont be called MilleniuM. Well we can only........wait.......not worry........be happy

Guest ZeusFaber
Which gives me the notion once the legal issues are over with Carter and Fox we should see something in the near future with X-Files 2 and a Frank Black movie.

That will not happen in anything like the near future. If it was just up to Chris Carter, sure, but it isn't, it's up to 20th. If they ever decide it's worth the financial gamble, it will be on The X-Files and The X-Files alone. Then and only then if that was a massive success would the studio even contemplate giving them the go-ahead to develop anything connected to Millennium.

So there are an awful lot of ifs and buts between here and there. It's not a good idea to get your hopes up, and certainly not for the near future.

Guest SouthernCelt

Welcome cutiepie. There has been a lot of discussion here in various topics about the premature (to the fans) ending of MM and the poor effort that the X-Files episode made at closure of it. Look around some of the older posts and I'm sure you'll find plenty of opinions on the whole matter.

As to Carter making a MM movie (regardless of what it's called), if he would like to do that why doesn't he just buy out any rights Fox has to it so he can do his own thing? If Fox doesn't plan to develop anything further, I'd think the buy out price wouldn't be that high. (Of course, I have very limited knowledge and NO experience in Hollywood business practices so I'm just speculating and suggesting).

Welcome, cutiepie.

It's refreshing to read such a passionate new member, who's just gotten into Millennium.

I can only think that Millennium was ahead of its time, and that the world was just not ready to be enlightened. (most still are not)

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Welcome, cutiepie.

It's refreshing to read such a passionate new member, who's just gotten into Millennium.

I can only think that Millennium was ahead of its time, and that the world was just not ready to be enlightened. (most still are not)

Yes, or another way of looking at it is that the viewing public just doesn't feel like thinking. It's hard to believe that shows like "Love Boat" and "Facts of Life" lasted longer than Millennium. I guess the public has spoken loud and clear about brilliant shows like Millennium, and would prefer that the networks just keep shoveling brain candy. Oh well, once in a while someone still comes up with something thoughtful, and good, and I make sure to give it its proper appreciation. I had the great pleasure of watching the Six Feet Under series recently, after missing it because I didn't have HBO. It wasn't in the same league as Millennium, but a worthy effort none the less. There are a lot of great minds out there creating great stories and ideas, and if you wait long enough, something special comes along. I do highly doubt that Millennium will be surpassed any time soon, but at least we get a few gems here and there.

I just got back from a New Years Party in which a friend of mine been wanting me to watch his Box Sets of 24 in which i am about to do. In return i am gonna lend out MilleniuM to him. He is gonna be blown away. He has Seasons 1-3 of 24 so i will probably rent out the rest of the series.

Guest ZeusFaber
As to Carter making a MM movie (regardless of what it's called), if he would like to do that why doesn't he just buy out any rights Fox has to it so he can do his own thing? If Fox doesn't plan to develop anything further, I'd think the buy out price wouldn't be that high.

Not remotely possible. Movie making needs huge amounts of money and resources, people can't just nip out and make a major motion picture on their own like a few friends with a camera in the woods. The X-Files movie had a budget of about $65 million IIRC, and today it would need a bit more in the region of about $80 million. That's not the kind of funding that one man can provide. Plus you need soundstages to shoot it on, cameras to shoot it with, a huge crew to build sets and design costumes et cetera et cetera. For all that, you need a major movie studio, which is why 20th Century Fox holds all the cards.