General VS5 Discussion

Rate this topic

Guest ZeusFaber

Guest ZeusFaber

Feel free to use this thread to post your comments or reviews for VS5 episodes, or start your own review topics if you prefer.

Now Online

5x01.jpg

Read it in PDF

Written by Anthony J. Black and James Jordan

AIRDATE: January 5th, 2007

Guest Moriarty

Nice one Zeus!! Been waiting for this for some time now. Even had my MM screensaver count down until today :yes: My wife is going out with her daughter this evening so I will surely be reading the episode tonight. I'll have a nice bath, make myself a sandwich or two and enjoy it. I will let you know what I think about it. Hope everyone else also does the same...

Guest ZeusFaber

Thanks, Moriarty. Really hope you enjoy it.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts, and don't forget you can post them at the BVC forums as well as here at TIWWA to share with as many as possible.

Guest Vaughn

I'll post what I said on BVC, just to get the discussion ball rolling.

B+| ****

It might sound odd, but it was so well written and directed that I feel there is so much better to come. In it's own right, it's an excellent episode, but I think that I can't rate this any higher than B+ because otherwise I'm gunna keep needing to re-grade my ratings when you outdo this.

I liked it a lot. Frank is drawn superbly, from the way he describes the killer to others, his mental flashes, his stop/start mannerisms, everything.

Supporting characters are given just enough to do to define their characters without thwacking the reader over the head with their characteristics.

It's weird having an older Jordan, but her relationship with Frank was played just right. They still have that loving, reciprocal father/daughter bonding, but it's not a man and his little girl, it's a man and his grown up little girl. You've not turned her into a stereotypical teenager so often seen, she's Jordan but older -- and that's exactly what I could've asked for.

The story is good, by referencing an old case and tying it into Frank's life you've got that emotional connection required, which is absolutely vital for this kind of medium (the virtual show). So easy for fan-fiction to turn to a simple case of "throw a character into a situation and have a typical killer-of-the-week" -- this is so much better than that.

So yeah, kudos, brilliantly written (I counted 2 typos in the whole thing). Well done.

Edited by Vaughn

Guest Moriarty

Well, I read it and it was great. Can't wait till next week. It kind of reminded me of the pilot back in season 1. The Raincoat Man is very similar to the Frenchman. Same prophecies. But that did not bother me at all. I enjoyed reading it overall. If you guys can keep up that high quality throughout the whole season they should hire you as writers in Hollywood. Class act!

Guest ein042

I thought it was awesome! the whole format is very visual and brought back many memories. The Begotten was very cohesive I thought, with the references from the therapist suggesting Frank hadn't found the closure he thought he had, connecting with similarities he finds in this new case. There will be a lot of interpretation of this probably but that's what makes Millennium so great.

Imagery was great. I could almost hear the rain.

Not sure about similarity to the Frenchman. I didn't think of him, instead I got a flash on Bruce Willis in Unbreakable, lol! But you're right about the prophesy aspect which is inherent in Millennium anyway.

Guest ein042

Vaugh makes a good point about scaling back his enthusiasm, and I held back too, not exactly for that reason.

I'm not a big fan of James Badge Dale, but that says nothing about Locke's character as written, which is fantastic. Dale is a good actor too but I digress.

Yes you have really channeled Frank here and I expounded in another thread how blown away I was by the episode. A new experience for me and I love the format. First rate, all the way!

Guest ZeusFaber

Thanks to both of you, Moriarty and ein042, really appreciate you reading. Glad you seemed to enjoy it, and hope you'll do the same for the conclusion.

Don't forget you can also post on the BVC boards, and to put down any questions you have about the episode (or more general ones) for this week's blog entry.