Season 3 Episode - OMERTA

Rate this topic

Guest thadarkside

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Keegan Connor Tracy is pretty cute.

Yes, I agree, and she looked wonderful in that episode. She really is a lot better looking and very unique looking when she is made up to look natural and earthy. I have seen her in some photos, and she is not nearly as cute, distinctive or unique when she is all glammed up.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Yes, I agree, and she looked wonderful in that episode. She really is a lot better looking and very unique looking when she is made up to look natural and earthy. I have seen her in some photos, and she is not nearly as cute, distinctive or unique when she is all glammed up.

PS, I see she was in final destination 2, and she really looks cute in the film stills. I have only seen the first Final Destination, but this is further incentive to see the second one.

• 6 months later...
Guest SouthernCelt
So, what were these girls? What was the connection with the star patterns Lhasa drew? Was she an angel?

I don't think there is any specific answer to the question of who the girls were. At least I've heard none attributed to the writers or producers. You could almost think of it as MM's "magic" episode that told a unique story (both for the series and for TV in general) but left enough mystery that the viewers could decide for themselves if the girls were fairies, angels, aliens, humans from another time or dimension, etc. I've always treated this one as an episode that would be lessened by having a complete understanding of what happened.

I've always treated this one as an episode that would be lessened by having a complete understanding of what happened.

I agree completely. I know many don't like this episode because it's not a traditional "Millenniumistic" episode, but that doesn't make it any less inspiring and artistic.

• 2 months later...
Guest Jim McLean

Good episode. I've always loved Polito from his work in Homicide: Life on the Street, though I think his character in this story is more endearing and gives him a little more to work with.

The plot felt a little formulaic, you could feel generally where it was going, and Jordan's cast was predictably going to be relevant, but again Millennium shows that for a dark show, it never fears trying to push its boundaries, just like its older sister.

I also liked the fact that we never knew anything about the sisters. In a time where technobabble and needless exposition was so prevalent in TV, it's good to see one show ignoring the fantasy show conception that every plot device has to be justified to the nth degree.

And as solid as Hollis is acted and characterized, I far prefer Jordan as Frank's sidekick! That girl can really act for a kid and I always felt "family" was a key to the show's initial success which so far is missing somewhat in season 3 and was very much a murky theme in season two. You need Jordan (or Catherine, or both) to validate the real motivations in Frank. You don't have Spider-Man without his Peter Parker, likewise the juxtaposition of family man to profiler is vital to MM IMO. Hollis makes a good foil for the Profiler (though I prefer Peter personally), but there really needs to be a similar mirror in his family persona.

Anyway, good stuff.

Edited by Jim McLean

I like Omerta.

It is silly, kitsch and a warming coffee and crumpets moment and one in which you can sling away all worries about continuity, point and meaning and simply be entertained. This episode is one that doesn't deserve deconstruction, star-children, angels, fairies: it simply doesn't matter as it lacks a complex denouement and simply seeks to make us feel cosy. My only irk is with the 'Advent Calendar Graphics' which are poorly executed and frankly jarring but there is a warmth here, a heart and spirit that so much of Season Three jettisoned and its return is welcomed. I agree with Laredo's point that Jordan is a welcome foil to Frank, the heart and home is where he shines and Emma's arc often debrides his character to a simple vehicle for instruction and infodump and yet here he feels whole again - being a reality and not merely an construct. I am aware this episode is chided for its campiness but amidst some of the visceral horrors of the Third Season it is good to know that a slightly optimistic soul still glows at the heart of Millennium. Christmas is the best time for such a pudding to be served.

BEER---> I usually don't comment on such things. But,ethsnafu if you are not a novelist or a writer you should be. It is good to have you back as a commentator about our wonderful television series. Even though sometimes I think - Will this commentary ever end.? I still read on.

Anyway, you do bring a very interesting subject manner about this great web site.

BELCH

Guest Laurent.

Yeah I really enjoyed the change of beat for Millennium with this episode; well represented by the change from the drum pounding to the bell ringing in the openings of each act... the episode must have been quite a shocked back in the original airing.

• 1 year later...

I thought Omerta was awesome, too. I loved a Frank / Jordan centric episode and it brought up the lingering grieving for Catherine among the pair which thematically gets summed up for Jordan in Borrowed Time and for Frank in The Sound of Snow.

The dangerous part of this episode is what happens if you take it seriously. I mean what would technically keep Lhasa from resurrecting Catherine the way she resurrected Eddie or the guy attacked by wolves. I know logistically there are lots of excuses(length of time since death, body full of embalming fluid, did they ever actually find Catherine's body, etc,) but Frank seems to take the fact that a resurrecting fairy could not resurrect his dead bride rather well.

But if we put aside lingering questions that like that, I think Omerta is one great Christmas episode.