Fourth Horseman/The Time is Now

Rate this topic

Guest soylentblack

Guest soylentblack

Having been a stunned and addicted fan from the beginning, I thought I had a pretty good bead on the show...oh, sure, there would be suprises, and I don't claim to be sophisticated enough to have seen even the most obvious plot lines and details coming, but even if I had read these episodes' scripts ahead of time I never would have been prepared for what I saw.

These two episodes are, for me, the most indescribeably mind-numbing television I had (have) ever seen. I'm far too slow a typer to keep-up with all the images, emotions, reactions that go through my head when I think about them. But one scene always is at the forefront...

The Family Dinner/ Mom's Birthday.

As I'm sure it was intended, this scene begins so innocently as to make you think the show has gone to a commercial break. Why I didn't notice the FOX icon in the corner of the screen, I have no idea.

You know how when you see a really great movie with someone and afterward you discuss it excitedly and endlessly? I remember wishing I had a fellow viewer to share that scene with. I think I exclaimed aloud (to no one in particular) something on the order of "NO (expletive) WAY!!!" That scene, in addition to the rest of those two episodes, notably Frank's hair graying in a few hours' time after Katherine leaves and dies, changed the way I looked at and assessed dramatic and or suspense television, and movies as well.

Although a Millenniphile from the beginning, I am new to this fine site. I will sign-off for fear of blathering-on too long. I hope to catch one of you in a chat room one day.

gothwelcome.gif

And, my compliments, on a fantastic 1st post! I was also impressed (understatment) by the intense drama of the episodes you are speaking of, and of many others as well.

Believe me when I say, you were NOT "blathering-on too long". You expressed wonderfuly the impact that these episodes had on you.

Guest amnesic

i was the only person in my then circle of friends and family to adore millennium, and i too remember desperately wanting to discuss these episodes with someone else. i remember being completely blown away with the lara means/horses sequence. some people hate it and say that it was too MTV-ish, but to me it will always be the best visual representation of a psychotic break ever to appear on tv or film. completely frivilous and probably a waste of valuable plot time but still, it was big on the WHOA! factor.

mind you, luminary remains the most breath taking episode for me.

i was the only person in my then circle of friends and family to adore millennium, and i too remember desperately wanting to discuss these episodes with someone else. i remember being completely blown away with the lara means/horses sequence. some people hate it and say that it was too MTV-ish, but to me it will always be the best visual representation of a psychotic break ever to appear on tv or film. completely frivilous and probably a waste of valuable plot time but still, it was big on the WHOA! factor.

....yes,luminary is that special thing to me,that rare episode that speaks to me on many levels. what's more amazing is that epiode is loosely based on a real story,a book called "INTO THE WILDERNESS",by Jon Krakauer. ..in the book,like with the episode,most people thought he wanted to die out there,that he wanted to comit suicide. ...but that was not the case as evidence by heartbreaking journals that the author got ahold of.

...it speaks to that strange part of me that is attracted by all things "NORTH". i know that may sound rather silly but it's hard to explain it in words. i've found,since i moved up here to the north country,that many others have this attraction,this love,this fascination,this "PULL" towards for the northern country and wildernesses. this book describes it perfectly,and in an almost poetic way. i cannot recomend enough,for fans of this episode,to get the above book. you can go to amazon.com and get a perfectly good used copy for a mere few dollars,literally. it's obvious that this young man's story,and this book,had a profound impact on chip johannessen,who wrote the episode.

~se7en :ouro:

Guest amnesic

....yes,luminary is that special thing to me,that rare episode that speaks to me on many levels. what's more amazing is that epiode is loosely based on a real story,a book called "INTO THE WILDERNESS",by Jon Krakauer. ..in the book,like with the episode,most people thought he wanted to die out there,that he wanted to comit suicide. ...but that was not the case as evidence by heartbreaking journals that the author got ahold of.

...it speaks to that strange part of me that is attracted by all things "NORTH". i know that may sound rather silly but it's hard to explain it in words. i've found,since i moved up here to the north country,that many others have this attraction,this love,this fascination,this "PULL" towards for the northern country and wildernesses. this book describes it perfectly,and in an almost poetic way. i cannot recomend enough,for fans of this episode,to get the above book. you can go to amazon.com and get a perfectly good used copy for a mere few dollars,literally. it's obvious that this young man's story,and this book,had a profound impact on chip johannessen,who wrote the episode.

i didn't know that it was inspired by a book. i might look into getting that book...

i too feel that strange pull towards the "north". it is an odd feeling. an unsettling feeling. perhaps if i actually got in my car and went off on my own for a while i might manage to get rid of that feeling. it's like an itch that need scratched, except the itch is in my brain.

Guest chrisnu

There's some great character interaction and drama in these episodes, particuarly between Frank and Peter Watts in "The Fourth Horseman", and the final act of "The Time Is Now". But there's too much that is (IMHO) overly pretentious and created a narrative mess, that (also IMHO) ended up not being handled well, but could have been avoided. The music video in the middle of "The Time Is Now" was waaaay overlong; it reminded me of the opening of "Anamnesis", another episode I don't particularly care for. And the in-jokes went beyond smirk-inducing to just groan-worthy, e.g. the Morley cigarette. So, I'd rate the episodes overall as slightly above average for said character interaction, but narratively I don't care for them and it created a whole bunch of problems.

Guest A Stranger

I've never been clear on this issue, is the book fiction and based on the guy who died like "Luminary," or is it the journal, or some third option?

WHOA! 2 POINTS! :thumbsup_big::thumbsup_big:

Guest SouthernCelt

"Luminary" probably had more impact on me than other episodes. I found it to be a bit off the "beaten path" for the series. And as I said in another post some time ago, the music in that episode was hauntingly beautiful and added a lot to the mood.

Guest amnesic
There's some great character interaction and drama in these episodes, particuarly between Frank and Peter Watts in "The Fourth Horseman", and the final act of "The Time Is Now". But there's too much that is (IMHO) overly pretentious and created a narrative mess, that (also IMHO) ended up not being handled well, but could have been avoided. The music video in the middle of "The Time Is Now" was waaaay overlong; it reminded me of the opening of "Anamnesis", another episode I don't particularly care for. And the in-jokes went beyond smirk-inducing to just groan-worthy, e.g. the Morley cigarette. So, I'd rate the episodes overall as slightly above average for said character interaction, but narratively I don't care for them and it created a whole bunch of problems.

i must be a sucker for patti smith because i really liked Anamnesis, despite the manic monolgue at the end as the scriptwriters try to get the explanation in.