A poll: 'Best Of...' DVD set

Rate this topic

Guest chrisnu

Guest chrisnu

This was an interesting concept brought up on the X-Files message board recently; I thought that sharing your thoughts and ideas would be intriguing.

If there were ever a 2 disc DVD set with say 6 episodes on as part of a "Best of Millennium" package, which episodes do you think would be wisest to include?

Now, instead of coming at this as a simple "6 most favourite eps" thread, I was thinking more of a marketing/studio/business point of view. For example, you would want to have a mix of styles, like not just all comedy eps and not just all mythology eps and not just SKOTW eps. You would also not want anything that ended "To Be Continued" or was the conclusion to such an episode. You'd probably also want to select the 6 that would best entice new-comers to the show, as that would spark more sales of the season sets etc. So taking all those kinds of factors into consideration, which 6 episodes would you put onto the Collection? This would be my appropriate combination:

1) "Pilot" (with commentary by Chris Carter and Lance Henriksen)

2) "The Thin White Line" (with commentary by Glen Morgan and James Wong)

3) "Lamentation" (with commentary by Chris Carter)

4) "Powers, Principailities, Thrones, & Dominions" (with commentary by Thomas J. Wright)

3) "Luminary" (with commmentary by Chip Johannessen)

4) "The Mikado" (with commentary by Michael R. Perry)

OK, I kind of broke my own rule with "Lamentation" and "PPTD", but those episodes have to be included in a collection as they're the best example of Frank's fight with supernatural evil. Additionally, I've included some of the best and most imaginative SKOTWs ("Pilot", "The Thin White Line", "The Mikado"), as well as some good character studies on Frank ("Luminary", "The Mikado"). I haven't included any episodes about the Group mythology; they would be confusing to new viewers. I've also not included any episodes that deal with the more abstract spiritual themes (e.g. "Beware Of The Dog"); I think that it would take more time to appreciate such episodes and would not be appealing initially. My not including any episodes from Season 3 was not intentional; I simply thought this was a good representation of the basic themes of the show. I'd love to see your picks and additional thoughts.

This is an excellent topic!

If I had to chose 6....to try to sell the show...... :thinking_big:

#1 Pilot

#2 Gehenna

#3 Lamentation (for the same reasons you stated)

#4 Powers, Principailities, Thrones, & Dominions

#5 A Room With No View

#6 Luminary

I would have included one from season 3, but those 6 pack the best punch, as far as the underlying story goes. If I was asked to add one from season 3, it would be The Innocents.

This is an excellent topic!

If I had to chose 6....to try to sell the show...... :thinking_big:

#1 Pilot

#2 Gehenna

#3 Lamentation (for the same reasons you stated)

#4 Powers, Principailities, Thrones, & Dominions

#5 A Room With No View

#6 Luminary

I would have included one from season 3, but those 6 pack the best punch, as far as the underlying story goes.  If I was asked to add one from season 3, it would be The Innocents.

......i honeestly cannot answer that question. to me,and people i've turned MM on to,it seems essential to view the entire series.(?)

~se7en :ouro:

Guest Regan MacNeil

This is tough

1)Pilot (You HAVE to include the pilot)

2)Blood Relatives (The first episode that got me hooked)

3)Wide Open (My sister's favorite episode)

4)19:19 (This episode has always stuck out in my mind as one of their 2 best)

5)In Arcadia Ego (So has this one)

6)Borrowed Time (Even though it involves Catherine's sacrifice to save Jordan in The Time is Now, I think new viewers could enjoy this episode and not feel lost. Plus, I thought the third season should be represented somehow.)

Well, I think that's a pretty good balance of serial killers and mystical stuff. I don't think you can really include any mythology stuff on a 6 episode set.

That was even tougher than I thought.

Guest amnesic

sod the marketing angle. hasn't MM been victim to it enough?

my 6 would be powers, luminary, mikado, amamnesis, in arcadia ego, and the time is now. or luminary repeated 6 times!!!!

:ouro:

This is really tough. To me the mythology is such a powerful and interesting foundation to the storyline, that I think you have to "wet the appetite" because I'd really hate for the "rookie" to think it was a show similar to a "Profiler" :puke: or crime stories. Yet when I went to choose just 6 of the mythology stories I could not do it. :no:

So I decided to approach it from the angle of 2 episodes per season. Though I think season 2 was by far the best year of story telling, I don't think 3 was "bad". It was different and ....

So here is my 6 for a Millennium Rookie - also to be seen in order -

Lamentation

Powers...Dominions

The Beginning and The End

Mikado

Via Dolorosa

Goodbye to All That

Guest Second Coming

......i honeestly cannot answer that question. to me,and people i've turned MM on to,it seems essential to view the entire series.(?)

~se7en :ouro:

I completely agree!

I love The X-Files and I could give you a list for that. But not Millennium, the entired series is a must.