Catherine

Rate this topic

Guest icubud

Do you believe it was "wise" for the storyline that Catherine was killed off?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

At the end of Season Two with the what appeared at the time as the death of Catherine I was a bit upset. I believed Catherine was not actually dead but kidnapped by MG and was going to be used as bait for Frank that if he followed them and quit prodding that they would cure her.

I was really bummed that they did actually kill her off.

She would anger me at time with her sharp and cutting words addressed to Frank but she did love him and was trying to protect them. She created a good balance.

Poll purpose is to see how people received the death of her character.

I found this a really difficult question to answer.

From the perspective of the plot and the storyline itself, I think is was a good device to create a new situation for Frank and to move the story in a particular direction.

On the other hand, i was upset that she went because I really liked Catherine. Chris Carter has stated on several occasions that he believed MM was not the darkest show on TV because it had a very bright centre, of Frank with his family in the yellow house. I think that by killing Catherine, and moving away from the yellow house, the show lost this bright centre and proved that the world is a very dark place; no-one is safe, not even fictional world. I think the bright centre theme was very important in MM and a relief from the darkness; it was a great shame to lose that.

I voted yes, that it was wise for the storyline. However, I would have voted 'no' if the question was, did you like this move?

Great poll, icubud, got me thinking! :thumbsup_big:

Guest chrisnu

From the perspective of plot, having Frank and Catherine separated during the second season was a good idea. The whole "end the world" plotline resulting in Catherine's death created a narrative mess.

Guest SouthernCelt

I found this difficult to answer in the context of the way you asked the question. I hated to see Catherine go but her death did make Season Two have more impact.

I got a bit weary of her railing at Frank (both before and after they separated) about him spending so much time with the group that he was abdicating his parental responsibilities. I thought he was very tolerant of her attitude, more so than I might have been. She seemed to want to understand Frank's involvement with the group but at the same time seemed to not want to get too close to those things that troubled Frank and took a "what I don't know can't hurt me or Jordan" attitude. That's why her death seemed to be done as much for the irony as anything.

I don't know how much of Season Three had been developed during Season Two but some aspects of the S3 storyline would obviously have been different if Catherine had still been there.

Just my view.... :p

Guest Wellington

Hi

I chose yes. Catherine's death comes after a long period of doubt in Frank's life. He already felt like he lost her after he killed the polaroid man, and the more he got involved with the Group, the more he saw her drifting away from him. In the same time, his lack of confidence in the Group grew more and more, until this excellent scene with Watts in the confinement chamber when the virus erupted. He finally made his choice but that was too late. However, in a sense, loosing Catherine was what saved him, both physicaly and psychologicaly.

Regards

I was forced to vote "Yes" on this poll, because the question is do I think it was wise for the storyline that Catherine was killed off?. I agree that that was the way they had to go, due to how the story-line was going, but I didn't like it one bit.

She would anger me at time with her sharp and cutting words addressed to Frank but she did love him and was trying to protect them. She created a good balance.

I agree with this as well. My thoughts exactly. She was what kept him grownded. She was his "touchstone", to rip off a phrase from the X-Files movie. :alien:

Wellington Posted on Feb 18 2004, 08:53 AM

Hi

I chose yes. Catherine's death comes after a long period of doubt in Frank's life. He already felt like he lost her after he killed the polaroid man, and the more he got involved with the Group, the more he saw her drifting away from him. In the same time, his lack of confidence in the Group grew more and more, until this excellent scene with Watts in the confinement chamber when the virus erupted. He finally made his choice but that was too late. However, in a sense, loosing Catherine was what saved him, both physicaly and psychologicaly.

Regards 

I agree totaly with this. You have a much better way of expressing things than I do. :blush::p

Thanks to those who have voted and replied, I am hoping for more insight from others too on this topic.

I had really hoped she would be a leverage tool or something even far evil. That Lance did not know if she was dead or not and sometime later she came home. Then after some horrific visions and situations he learns that it was not Catherine but Lucy. Of course the whole possibility then of her affecting or swaying Jordan and if Catherine/Lucy character actually became pregnant with Frank's child.

Oh boy - that would have opened a couple of Pandora Boxes!

I personal don't think she was killed off. There are just to many questions as to why she didn't. I think if C.C. had wanted her dead then he would have just come right out and had it known that she had died. I think he did it this way just in case she did want to come back. So I think they left it open for that reason. Plus also if the show did go on longer than tha MM then there would be another story line that they could go with. That the MG had her all along. As I recall they really didn't do any real search party for her. I think another reason for me is that in Midnight of the century. They show Franks father at the end as a ghost. But not Catherine. And I just don't think they had the prper closer for her death. For me there are just to many lose ends. So I just don't think she had really died. They never showed her grave stone. They never had a service. Nothing to realy prove to me as a viewer that she was actually dead. Only the fact that Frank acepts the fact that she is gone. An he has to move on with his life. Now I must get on with mine.

:ouro::ouro::ouro::ouro::ouro::ouro::ouro::ouro::ouro::ouro:

Guest chrisnu
So I just don't think she had really died. They never showed her grave stone. They never had a service. Nothing to realy prove to me as a viewer that she was actually dead. Only the fact that Frank acepts the fact that she is gone. An he has to move on with his life.

Did you see "The Sound Of Snow"?

Did you see "The Sound Of Snow"?

yes I have seen the sound of snow. I interpited that ep as the MG being behind the making of the tapes. And there way of getting at Frank. Because they played on peoples fears and making them think that is was THERE falt that other people died. Like the man that set himself on fire. I personally think think the reason Frank went to the woods is because he was looking for her. Plus he blamed himself and the group for not having another vaccine.

well that's it for now I am off to go package cheese :rofl:

And I just have to say this. IT IS MY 200TH POST :tongue::p FINALY :devil01: