Catherine

Rate this topic

Guest icubud

Do you believe it was "wise" for the storyline that Catherine was killed off?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest A Stranger
it's hard for me to even count owls/roosters as a valid part of the mytharc because it was dropped like a hot potato,by M&W, right after M&W wrote it. besides it being silly,but still enjoyable,M&W never mentioned anything about that storyline again.

...I LOVED the Emma character. it showed,for me,just how wooden lara's character,and Kloke's acting really was. I never actively disliked her ccharacter but for me it was apparent that she was just "thrown in there" because she was Morgan's wife.  i say this mainly because of thier painful lack of chemistry as actors.-(IN MY OPINION I SHOULD SAY.lol!)-and "FRANKLY" in all the other roles i have seen her in she's just,for me,not a convincing actress at all. I always think she talks like she's reading cue-cards or something.

Now Emma and Frank as student/mentor was thrilling for me and Klea,besides being a very charismatic actress,is also,well.....pleasing on the eyes. and unlike with Kloke it was very apparent that the 2-"clicked" as actors together,especially the last half of the season when thier relationship started to become much more complex and multifaceted,which,for me,never occured with kloke and Lance.

...and the possibility of katherine being held by MG would not change the fact that Jordan and Frank would still think she would be dead,hence Jordan would still set the empty place setting. that would be the whole point of abducting and keeping her in the first place.  i seriously doubt it would have ended up happening but boy it would have been powerfull had the series ended with ALL of them back at the yellow house together again and victorious over everything they had been through.        ..not a nice neat "tidy" end mind you,but at least with them back together.

se7en :ouro:

I guess I forgot about this thread....

Sorry, but I just find the idea of Frank having a complete mental brakdown, grieving and accepting her death and then all of a sudden... she isn't really dead very hokey to say the least. That's just me. Frank's a tragic character and I think it works for Catherine to have died.

And as for the "bab-a-licious" factor, I like Lara over Emma. But to be truthful, I didn't think either of their characters worked as well as they could have or should have. Kea Scott's chemistry with Frank was better but I still feel like thier relationship was never fully realized. It worked enough but I don't see them as a great duo, just okay.

And maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to see Frank having any obvious sexual chemistry with either of the characters. How many times did we even seen he and Catherine kiss? On a similar note, does anyone think Chris Carter has some sexual resentment issues or something? Mulder and Scully were asexual for the most part to keep their relationship "pure" as Carter had said. Similar things were said early on in interviews about Frank and Catherine's relationship. Any thoughts?

Guest chrisnu
On a similar note, does anyone think Chris Carter has some sexual resentment issues or something? Mulder and Scully were asexual for the most part to keep their relationship "pure" as Carter had said.

Makes you wonder. At least he finally let the two get together in Season 7 of TXF. The UST only works for so long.

• 2 months later...
Guest Seraphim

Though it was something that did (In some ways, but not as much as it could have) further the plot, I wish she hadn't been killed off. She and Frank were tied for my choice of fave charcter. And the fact that I have a bit of a thing for Megan Gallagher. :wink:

• Elders (Admins)

I'll never understand why it had to be Catherine although it was a fantastic storyline... When I think of Frank and Jordan in that wooden hut I can't help but think it was some the saddest and most heartbreaking TV I've seen...

• Like 1

Guest malus

i've finally sat down and read this thread (as well as voted). given my druthers, i'm not sure that i, as a fan, wanted catherine to die. on the other hand, from a critical perspective, i'm not sure they allowed meghan (sp?) to fully develop the role.

i accept, as canon, that catherine is dead within the confines of the story. given that it is a chris carter series, there's always the possibility that she could be brought out of mothballs, even in ghostly or dream format, as seen in 'the sound of snow'.

i found the character of lara means too pushy. not that lara, as an individual was pushy, but her appearances on screen always felt very pushy. i liked her visions of disorienting angels as an offset to frank's visions of demons. i never could have accepted lara as a viable "replacement" for someone frank could identify with, and even today, i have a problem with the almost unbearable "bitchy" catherine in the 2nd season.

in the third season, i really enjoyed emma as an underling, walking into things with an emotional attachment that all logic says is wrong. while the character of baldwin was used to present the pure "by the books" contrast, i think the real contrast to emma was mclaren. i've speculated that the friction and the caring between frank and catherine was split between mclaren and emma's character. frank obviously feels a sense of comeraderie with emma and is someone he can speak to about the real evils and horrors in the world, while mclaren rails against his crusades and his involvement.

finally, i always felt that the empty place setting that jordan put down was intended to display the child's path through such a trauma, while always wondering if she did see catherine's image when she sat to eat.

oops...one more note...in 'skull and bones', peter presents to emma a news article about the death of cheryl andrews, and insists that she can verify the funeral and the open casket by contacting cheryl's family. i found it a very frightening idea that a funeral could be staged for the grieving, while someone else is controlling the real events from outside. in a way, i think this does give us an opening for catherine 'coming back'...

j

:ouro:

Edited by malus

Guest Seraphim

As much as I am anticipating the S2 box, I am dreading the last episode on it. :cry: When that epsiodes was first shown, I was in a sense of disbeleif. I expected Season 3 to reveal she was not really dead. Alas... :down:

Guest se7en

...yeah, i'll pretty much be dreading that last episode of S2 as well. but likely for very different reasons.- lol!

~se7en :ouro:

Guest RJ2000

I was disappointed in Catherine being killed mainly because I saw it as Frank losing his "beacon" when things got too dark for him to handle. It seemed like it caused him to lose his way a bit in S3. Granted, she wasn't involved a whole lot during her run in the series (except for certain times she was needed), but, she gave Frank a reason for "catching the bad man" and coming back home.

Plus, like Seraphim, I've got a thing for Miss Gallagher. :bigsmile:

Guest Seraphim

I agree. It was taking Frank's "beacon" away. And I think the event sealed it in Frank's eyes that MM is a "evil" orginization. Which is something I didn't like in S3. If anything, I think making MM's alignment uncertain, to be more interesting. Oh well.