Catherine

Rate this topic

Guest icubud

Do you believe it was "wise" for the storyline that Catherine was killed off?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest malus
I agree. It was taking Frank's "beacon" away. And I think the event sealed it in Frank's eyes that MM is a "evil" orginization. Which is something I didn't like in S3. If anything, I think making MM's alignment uncertain, to be more interesting. Oh well.

...i agree that removing catherine was removing frank's beacon. i think it softened, yet hardened him all at once.

...perhaps the reason i liked the third season more than some is because i didn't see the millennium group as "cut and dry" evil. i would agree that we were seeing their more criminal side, but the old man said quite bluntly in "beware of the dog", "not all crime is evil". he also mentioned to frank and lara in the "owls/roosters" arc that in reality, the only true remaining members of the group were himself, frank and lara.

...if you add in the influence of legion under the face of mabius, i think we see an organization that holds itself outside of the law, is not inherently evil, but has been infiltrated by someone who is evil.

...to frank, catherine being killed, especially under the spectre of something the group knew about but noone else did, would strike frank as nothing but evil. her death answered his question (posed in "the time is now"), and whether or not it was a right answer within the "millennium" universe, it was going to be the right answer to frank, because catherine could not be there to help center him and possibly see otherwise. jordan was too young to do that herself.

...the death of catherine happened at the end of "the beginning and the end". her physical death finally affirmed by "the innocents".

j

:ouro:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Xircuits

I voted for yes the killing off of Catherine was wise. After the separation, it seemed that the character of Catherine was un-important anymore. Yes, she's the mother of Jordan, but she doesn't share much in common with Jordan or Frank. Father and daughter seemed to have a stronger bond. I guess it was also on the part of the actor, maybe Megan Gallagher got a better deal somewhere else where she would have a larger role. However I do think it presented a nice theme for next season's episodes. The whole Catherine is gone, dealing with a death in the family etc. etc.

Plus, I just didn't like watching the scenes with Frank and Catherine. Everytime I saw them together, it looked and felt awkward. Watching Lance Henriksen play Frank was very believable, but watching Megan Gallagher play Catherine wasn't. She seemed 2 dimensional and flimsy. Plus I can't understand how a woman can be mean to Frank. :no:

Guest fledgling666

i have to admit, i never liked her, i never liked the character or the look of the actress playing her. she has too many gnarled facial expressions and was far too critical of frank, beside the fact that he saved her frickin life and she threw him out the house for it. and if i remember correctly, didn't she have a date with some other guy in one episode or something? anyway, my point is, frank's life is harder now, he has to care for jordan alone, he has no life companion, etc. exactly what i would do to someone if i were in the position of the Millennium Group and that someone was fixin' ta investigate my ass.

Guest Xircuits
i have to admit, i never liked her, i never liked the character or the look of the actress playing her. she has too many gnarled facial expressions and was far too critical of frank, beside the fact that he saved her frickin life and she threw him out the house for it. and if i remember correctly, didn't she have a date with some other guy in one episode or something? anyway, my point is, frank's life is harder now, he has to care for jordan alone, he has no life companion, etc. exactly what i would do to someone if i were in the position of the Millennium Group and that someone was fixin' ta investigate my ass.

I like your explanation better than mine. :yes:

That was much better explained. His life turned out much more difficult and she did throw him out of the house after he came to rescue her like a knight in shining armour. Booo Catherine! Talk about being gracious and thankful.

I think Frank and Jordan would have done better without her...I think the show would have done better without Megan Gallagher. No offence to those who are fans of Megan Gallagher. I didn't like her in the first place. Wasn't it said that she was difficult to work with?

Guest Xircuits

Considering that Jordan has more in common with her father, it's natural for me to think that her mother could very well look down upon the Gift and possibly criticizing her about it like she did with Frank. Jordan can see things too and, like in Siren, she just tells her mother that the Asian woman will save her father's life. That's all. In Catherine's view, she could think that it's not enough information. It's a feeling, like Frank's feeling about a certain case.

Frank, Catherine and Jordan’s relationships in contrast to the darkness of the show is one of the main reason I love MilleniuM. And I hated the "Emma" - not personally, I just didn't like her character on the show. If Catherine had not died, I doubt Emma would have been brought on.

On the other hand, it’s rare to find a show that kills of a main character each season! That's kick ass!

But overall - I would prefer Catherine alive and the family together

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I hated to see her die for this reason I hated the path s2 took and the pace it set. The contrast from s1 to s2 was to me to drastic if they had slowed down and kept the theme of s1 progressing i think that millennium could have lasted till the millennium if not longer. s1 produced Some kick ass shows while s2 strapped it to rocket headed for a brick wall yeah it was one hell of a ride, some great shows but really it was speeding us to a firey end. Also I agree s1 set us up with a twisted world but there was always the sanctity of the yellow house that was what made most of us become the fans we were. Honestly how many of us flipped out at the end of s1 because not franks family had been attacked but our family had been attacked. Also the nongratitude of Cathrine in s2 is out of wack with s1. Would someone like that fly to DC after listening to the phone call in 522666 I think not. So I say not only should she not have died we shouldn't have been brought to that point untill 1999 at the earliest if ever.

• 1 month later...

I thougth it was wrong to kill off Catherine; I didn't like that they broke them up in the first place . But since they did I feel the separation was realistic which is what the show was founded on [in my opinion] What happens in the real world... Frank had already had one breakdown.. and to watch him totally lose control I would have worried for my safety and that of my child even tho I still loved that person very much. How many times have we seen in the news that a husband has 'lost it' and killed his entire family.. plenty!

I also know many women who have become very bitter when their husbands

choose their career over the family... that was very 'true to life'.

This is why I liked Season 1 best .. when the family WAS the contrast to the darkness of his job; to see the two sides of Frank Black [ of which Lance did a superb job ] . :ouro:

I agree completely another thing that really bothered me was the seperation. So the guy crosses that line we watched him cross and sacrafices something of himself in order to save her and her reward is to pack his clothes while he washes the blood off of his hands. Completely different person than I got to know in the first season