Catherine

Rate this topic

Guest icubud

Do you believe it was "wise" for the storyline that Catherine was killed off?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I see your point but I still think season 2 should have followed more in suit with 1 and the season 2 that we saw, including the death should have come closer to the turn of the millennium

• 1 month later...
Guest Kelanth

Having recently watched The Time is Now, I really must say that Catherine's death was a requirement to move the show along. The constant bickering that was going on, and the waffling about how she felt about him would have become monotonous had it carried to S3. And it became the catalyst that Frank needed to get out of his own destructive cycle.

In addition, having used the DVDs to gain a convert, my mother, dear person that she is, was also glad to see Catherine gone. Of course, I did have to sit through repeated questions about exactly what kind of social worker Catherine was to have fallen in so easily with Odessa yet ride Frank so hard.

• 3 months later...
  • Elders (Admins)

I would have enjoyed the Black family getting back together after the Time Is Now (Catherine surviving). It would have been nice to see them learning to cope and understand with whatever gifts Jordan would develop. I also think that although I loved S2, it would have helped Chris Carter get back to basics with S3 when he regained control of the helm. I would like to have seen for S3 a mixture of S2's mythology and the more investigative episodes of S1 combined with the Black reunited and trying to put the past behind them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks Graham for doing another post in this thread. I may never have found it unless it had shown up in the new posts list. In a recent string concerning my first Millennium experience I mentioned how I fell inlove with Catherine that night. And this lead to my current situation, married to a woman I love so much who in some ways reminds me of Catherine.

I'm watching the second season again (2nd time through) with my stepson and I'm finding how much I resent the breakdown in Catherine and Frank's relationship. We've just watched Goodbye Charlie tonight. You can really see the progression in the deterioration of their relationship and the way she views him. IN Midnight of the Century I think the message comes across truly clear that she's starting to hate Frank because of who he is - his gift and his choices.

I find myself a little more forgiving of Frank and Lara's growing closeness too. Lara points out to Catherine in Anamnesis how isolating those visions can be and begs her not to abandon him. Lara's growing interest in Frank is a result of two things. Her need for someone to love her who understands her and her recognition of that requirement in Frank's life. Whatt makes it more acceptable even is Jordan's need for a mother figure who can understand what she's going to go through and would support her.

So the question is "Do you believe it was "wise" for the storyline that Catherine was killed off?"

No. I believed in the Yellow House. I believe that the final epsiode should have focused on Jordan and her gift. I believe that Lara should have been there to help Jordan and that this would help Catherine to be little more accepting of the Group. I believe that this crisis should have helped reunite Catherine and Frank. Heck, in Midnight of the Century he was encouraged to take the easy way out. If there was an influence in Millennium that was Legion, I could see that influence try to ensure that Frank regained his family if only to get him out of the way.

Maxx

Guest lonegungrrly1121

I'm going to go for the controvertial answer and say 'yes' to the question. The way that season 2 was written, with Frank and Catherine's relationship breaking a little more each episode, I think it got to the point where if they had got back together it would have been for Jordan's sake.

M&W tried their best to make Catherine the big bad wolf in season 2, with her views not only going completely against the hero of the show, but also demeaning Lara Means' and Jordan's gifts.

As meantioned above, this change in Catherine made Lara's and Frank's growing relationship much more favourable. It's such a shame that Frank loses both Lara and Catherine in the same episode. no wonder he's dark.

If the Catherine/Frank dynamic was written in the same loving, mature and respectful way as season1, in season 2, then my vote would have been completely different!

• 5 months later...
Guest Mr Noir

Hi!

I was very upset when Catherine was killed off.

There have been a lot of chances to bring her into the stories. But the writers missed the chance.

I don't wonder that Megan G. decided to leave.

• 2 months later...
Guest gethsemane

I was kinda glad to see her go. I never understood why she was so angry at Frank for killing her kidnapper. He terrorized her. He also attacked Frank. If he didn't killl him I could see where she'd have the right to be upset. I don't think she spent enough time with her captor to form any kind of victim/captor bond. Was she looking for an out previously? She should have been drawn closer to Frank by this because they went through this together. I can't get past this behavior of hers so I was glad to see her gone.

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
I was kinda glad to see her go. I never understood why she was so angry at Frank for killing her kidnapper. He terrorized her. He also attacked Frank. If he didn't killl him I could see where she'd have the right to be upset. I don't think she spent enough time with her captor to form any kind of victim/captor bond. Was she looking for an out previously? She should have been drawn closer to Frank by this because they went through this together. I can't get past this behavior of hers so I was glad to see her gone.

Yes, I have to agree with you about how her behaviour was so inexplicable after Frank killed the man; I could never fully comprehend that either. I'd have to say that since they had written her character in that fashion and she seemed determined to draw further and further away from Frank, then it seemed the only logical conclusion that her character ended (died).

• 6 months later...
Guest Spooky Muldrake

Catherine's death scene may be the saddest thing I've ever seen in a tv show. I really didn't want to see her go, although I was irritated by her character in season 2. Although I like season 2 the best, I think the show would have been alot better off if they'd kept Catherine and Frank together in the yellow house. That's what I would have liked to see, not the seperation and then the death of Catherine. :(

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Yes, I have to agree with you about how her behaviour was so inexplicable after Frank killed the man; I could never fully comprehend that either. I'd have to say that since they had written her character in that fashion and she seemed determined to draw further and further away from Frank, then it seemed the only logical conclusion that her character ended (died).

LOL, the L@the of Heavan saga continues. I looked under new posts and saw what I thought was a new post by L@the, and it turns out that he was just the last one to post a message in this thread and somebody else added a poll vote. :down: