Question about "Luminary"

Rate this topic

Guest Drysarcasm

Guest F_Black

I just read the transcript here and there doesn't seem to be anything in it that indicates why Frank would think that the floater had anything to do with Alex.

Y'know, some people here had theorized that the floater was, in fact, Alex, but sort of a shell. Or rather, it was the body of "Alex Glaser" but the kid Frank actually found up on the mountain was now "Alex Ventoux". That is, Alex Glaser metaphorically and LITERALLY went up a mountain and came down a different person. I didn't think much of that idea at first, but now. . . . .It certainly would explain a lot. The fact that the floater was the same age, height, etc. as Alex Glaser for example. Maybe Frank did know that the floater really was the body of Alex Glaser, but he also knew that Alex was still alive up there in some form.

Probably why this is one of my favorite episodes. . . . .

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I just read the transcript here and there doesn't seem to be anything in it that indicates why Frank would think that the floater had anything to do with Alex.

Y'know, some people here had theorized that the floater was, in fact, Alex, but sort of a shell. Or rather, it was the body of "Alex Glaser" but the kid Frank actually found up on the mountain was now "Alex Ventoux". That is, Alex Glaser metaphorically and LITERALLY went up a mountain and came down a different person. I didn't think much of that idea at first, but now. . . . .It certainly would explain a lot. The fact that the floater was the same age, height, etc. as Alex Glaser for example. Maybe Frank did know that the floater really was the body of Alex Glaser, but he also knew that Alex was still alive up there in some form.

Probably why this is one of my favorite episodes. . . . .

I don't want to be disagreeable, but this is a theory that never really caught on with me. Maybe I'm just too logical a thinker, but The floater materially existed, as did Alex at the end, so how can there be two bodies and one person? It would be different if Frank hadn't physically carried Alex and if Alex hadn't come into contact with the rescue team and people at the hospital. Maybe it's just me but I can't get my brain around this idea.

Guest Moriarty
I don't want to be disagreeable, but this is a theory that never really caught on with me. Maybe I'm just too logical a thinker, but The floater materially existed, as did Alex at the end, so how can there be two bodies and one person? It would be different if Frank hadn't physically carried Alex and if Alex hadn't come into contact with the rescue team and people at the hospital. Maybe it's just me but I can't get my brain around this idea.

Listen guys. Can't it be that the whole floater thing was just a flaw in the script? I mean, the whole thing was handled poorly so... Don't get me wrong, I love Luminary but this aspect of the episode was never clear enough. For me it is a plot hole. Just my opinion.

Guest F_Black
For me it is a plot hole. Just my opinion.

What fun would that be. . . . . .

But yes, I also never liked the Alex-Has-Two-Bodies hypothesis. Then again, what the heck is logical about something named Legion appearing as a rather attractive young female or a big ol' demon or what have you.

Somebody contact the writers!

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Listen guys. Can't it be that the whole floater thing was just a flaw in the script? I mean, the whole thing was handled poorly so... Don't get me wrong, I love Luminary but this aspect of the episode was never clear enough. For me it is a plot hole. Just my opinion.

Well, I have to agree in a way. It does seem to be a plot hole in that is was not clearly explained. Maybe it was more clear at one point, but either the script was cut or a scene was edited or removed to make the episode fit into the 45 minute time slot (15 minutes were commercials and stuff). I think it was a plot hole, but not a blaring mistake that made the story implausible. It is more of a case of something being left open to speculation. In my opinion, many of the ideas presented here by SouthernCelt and others make perfect sense and are not that hard to swallow. Given the level of thoughtfulness and skill we have seen in other Chip Johannessen projects, I find it hard to believe it was just a goof that was missed by everyone else as well, including the cast. I find it more likely that they simply assumed that anyone who gave it a second thought would fill in the blanks with their own theory.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
What fun would that be. . . . . .

But yes, I also never liked the Alex-Has-Two-Bodies hypothesis. Then again, what the heck is logical about something named Legion appearing as a rather attractive young female or a big ol' demon or what have you.

Somebody contact the writers!

Yes, or a town adhering to the rules of a pack of evil dogs. You have a good point. :oneeyedwinK

Yes, or a town adhering to the rules of a pack of evil dogs. You have a good point. :oneeyedwinK
Let me get my 2cents in here as well...Moriarty - i dont think it was a mistake in the script...I think it was deliberately included in order to show just how much confidence Frank has in his gift. Remember, making the very public statement that the floater was NOT Alex Glaser, now puts his entire reputation on the line. Whereas the majority of people, as exemplified by the sheriff, the coroner, and nearly everyone else in the episode, the average every day functionary would have accepted the floater as Alex. Next of kin would have been notified, etc, and there would have been a rush to closure in order to put it behind them. Frank throws a wrench into that equation by his simple statement. Now, the townsfolk HAVE to consider the fact that this might just be what it is, an unidentified corpse. It goes against their entire course of action, etc. Rather than the mundane activity of assigning the name of Alex Glaser to this floater, now they are presented with something contrary to the standard modus operandi...

Frank makes this particular statement with such conviction that it takes the sheriff by surprise, and i believe thats why Frank became the flashpoint for not only the obvious annoyance it caused the sheriff, but the rumors, what have you, about his very sanity....

so yes, i think the floater did have a purpose...but then, i have been known to be wrong...

4th Horseman...

• Like 1

Guest F_Black

That explains the floater, but not why the floater would have anything to do with where Alex was. Unless. . . .well, at this point, I am going to fall back on the presumption that Frank's gift somehow knew it did for some reason and that's why he could use the logical means to find where it had originated.

Thank you, Horseman... That was rather my thinking.

As someone who is learning to trust her instincts, even when others think I'm crazy, I have thought that this was the reason Frank felt there was a connection between these 2 young men. His "gut" told him that there was something... some force... that pulled young men into that area of Alaska. (read "Into The Wild". this same thing has happened to MANY men over the last few hundred years!) That "pull" then pulled Frank in to find Alex.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Laurent.

I don't think of this as a plot hole in the script, for two reasons:

1- It seemed clear to me when I watched the episode that Frank followed the trail of the floater because his gift was telling him that it was not Alex, but that he was still related to Alex in some way. I'm not really a fan of how M&W handled Frank's gift and turned it into a psychic ability. But that's one case where there was no apparent clue that the body was related to Alex yet Frank followed this lead blindlessly. It could be interprated as plot hole but I think it was clear when they wrote it that it was due to his ability.

2- The dead body was never identified but that was a good thing. First, the audience didn't really care what the name of the guy was because obviously he didn't have much to do with the main plot. I also like the idea, that the body can be seen as Alex's old body before he became "Alex Ventoux", kind of like when a snake changes skin. Of course this theory doesn't have much physical sense but I think of it as just a metaphor and that's why they never put a name on the corpse.