Two-Parters

Rate this topic

Guest chrisnu

Guest chrisnu

I don't believe this has been asked before: what are your favorite two-parters from the show? Not that we have a lot to choose from. :)

I'd rank the two-parters in the following order:

1) "Lamentation" / "Powers, Principalities, Thrones, & Dominions"

2) "Owls" / "Roosters"

3) "The Fourth Horseman" / "The Time Is Now"

4) "Paper Dove" / "The Beginning and the End"

5) "Via Dolorosa" / "Goodbye To All That"

6) "The Innocents" / "Exegesis"

Also, if you tend to watch one half of a two-parter more than the other (I do), which half do you tend to watch more?

1) "Powers, Principalities, Thrones, & Dominions"

2) "Owls"

3) "The Time Is Now"

4) "The Beginning and the End" (a lot more)

5) "Goodbye To All That"

6) "The Innocents"

I'll write more on my likes/dislikes from the two-parters later.

Guest amnesic

I'd go for The Season 2 finale, but only because I don't personally consider Lamentation and PPT&D to be a two-parter. PPT&D is one of my favourites tho

Guest A Stranger
...no question for me the best two parter:

"LAMENTATION"

"P.P.T.D."

~se7en :ouro:

No question here either on that. I"d rank them like this

"Lammentation/Powers, Principlaities..."

"The Fourth Horseman/The Time is Now"

"Via Dolorosa/Goodbye to All That"

"Owls/Roosters"

"The Innocents/Exegesis"

"Paper Dove/The Beginning..."

I usually like one more than other too.

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Well, I don't consider 'Lamentation' and 'Powers, Principalities' to be a two-parter in the classic sense. Of them two I watch 'Lamentation' far more often - I barely watch 'Powers...' at all actually.

Of the others... the only worthy choice is 'Via Dolorosa' and 'Goodbye to All That' in my opinion. I like 'The Innocents' a lot but 'Exegesis' leaves a lot to be desired.

Of the others... the only worthy choice is 'Via Dolorosa' and 'Goodbye to All That' in my opinion. I like 'The Innocents' a lot but 'Exegesis' leaves a lot to be desired.

........Took the words right outta my mouth! :p

Yes, I've noticed as well how I tend to favor one part over another at times. Sometimes, I seem to be more "comfortable with the tone" in one episode than another. LOL :gaba: Of course, the tone change in The X Files, between part one and part two of "Closeure" was much more dramatic. (can't remember real name to part 1...only part 2 was called "Closure") Part one was excellent, exciting, etc., while part two, in my openion, left a LOT to be desired....With the whole, "let's come up with a quick answer to the dissapearance of Mulder's sister that'll have everyone scratching their heads for YEARS epidode"....But, alas, I digress.... :down::p

Guest 19:19

i would have to say that

#1 - fourth horseman / time is now

i am a big fan of "the beginning and the end" but i found "paper dove" alittle boring.

19:19

P.S. the open monologue by lance in "the beginning..." was great, gave me goosebumps.

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

It is probably worth noting though, that 'Paper Doves' and 'The Beginning and the End' are not really a two-parter. They do follow on but the writers change for the second part and also, 'The Beginning...' is a part of S2 which as has been established over the last weeks, is coming from a very different place than S1. The Poloroid Stalker in 'Paper Doves' seems to bear no real relation to the one from 'Beginning...' so I think classifying these as a two-parter is a mistake. I must say it is HIGHLY improbable that Chris Carter and Ted Mann (who wrote 'Paper Doves') envisaged the PS as what he was in 'The Beginning...'.

I think it was just a case of Morgan and Wong being forced to address the issue of Catherine's abduction (because that was where S1 left off) and choosing to create their own take on the PS, discarding all the previous references to him - because as many people have spotted, what is said of the PS in 'Pilot' and 'Gehenna' and his actions in 'Paper Doves' seem wholly disconnected with S2's PS. I think their idea was an acceptable one but it didn't track well with the earlier evidence at all. There is no real doubt that 'The Beginning and the End' is a vastly superior episode to 'Paper Doves' but please try to remember that 'Paper Doves' is not really about the PS at all. Therefore I believe any attempt at comparison beyond superficial 'Catherine abducted, Catherine saved' to be ill-advised.