Karin Konoval

Rate this topic

I was watching an airing of The X-Files controversial episode "Home" today. I was thinking to myself geez the mother looks familiar so i IMDB her. She played Dr. Angela Horvorth in Through A Glass..... and Human Essence. She also had a small part in Weeds. A nice looking woman, but man they sure had her ugly in "Home"

Guest SouthernCelt
I was watching an airing of The X-Files controversial episode "Home" today. I was thinking to myself geez the mother looks familiar so i IMDB her. She played Dr. Angela Horvorth in Through A Glass..... and Human Essence. She also had a small part in Weeds. A nice looking woman, but man they sure had her ugly in "Home"

Was that the one with the in-bred redneck family? That had to be one of the creepiest eps ever. Didn't the fellow in "Goodbye Charlie" play the sheriff in that XF?

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Wow, nice catch, I never would have guessed. It will be interesting to see her as a normal person the next time I watch those episodes. I agree, they took her to the shed and worked her over with an ugly stick for the episode Home.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Was that the one with the in-bred redneck family? That had to be one of the creepiest eps ever. Didn't the fellow in "Goodbye Charlie" play the sheriff in that XF?

Yes, I think you are correct on both counts. "Home" really did creep me out the first time around, so much so that I didn't watch it again for a lot of years. It just seemed too far over the edge, too creepy, too violent. As mentioned before, I think I have become a bit desensitized to that kind of stuff, and it didn't seem quite as bad when I watched it recently. Still though, definitely the creepiest episode ever of X-files or Millennium, at least in my opinion.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Wasnt "Home" banned from airing o FOX for a long while. I thought i remember hearing that

I'm not sure about that. I'm so tuned into cable channels that I get the networks mixed up. I had thought that X-files was on FOX the first time I saw "Home", but I could very well be mistaken. I wouldn't be at all surprised if somebody banned it though, especially what, 10 years ago? I don't know if I had ever seen anything like that on regular TV at the time. I remember the local news talking about it before it aired that night. Now that I think about it, I don't know if I have ever seen anything like it sense.

Guest SouthernCelt
Wasnt "Home" banned from airing o FOX for a long while. I thought i remember hearing that

If it was banned from being shown by Fox, I never knew it. The first run of the series eps were all on the Fox affiliate here (until they switched affiliation mid-way of season 8) and as far as I knew, the ep aired w/o any problem. I remember that there was some scuttlebutt that the ep might be pulled locally if not nationally but as far as I saw it wasn't. I always figured that was a well-placed rumor to pique viewer interest; nothing else brings in the curious as quickly as telling them that they may not be allowed to watch something.

Guest betweenthelines

According to wikipedia.com:

This is the only X-Files episode to garner a TV-MA rating due to references to incest, and was banned from American network television, only re-aired years afterwards late at night on cable TV.

Now, of course, it's aired as early as 11:00 AM.

Guest Moriarty
According to wikipedia.com:

Now, of course, it's aired as early as 11:00 AM.

You gotta be kidding me. The actually banned "Home" from television? I have heard of banned books in some countries or banned movies (A clockwork orange) but never from a banned episode from a popular television series. I don't know how you fellow members think about it but I find this a little hypocrite. Okay, it was violent and dark but the interaction between Mulder and Scully was funny which provided some contrast to the Peacock's. There was also a sense of irony in that episode. So why did they ban it?

Guest betweenthelines
The actually banned "Home" from television? I have heard of banned books in some countries or banned movies (A clockwork orange) but never from a banned episode from a popular television series. I don't know how you fellow members think about it but I find this a little hypocrite. Okay, it was violent and dark but the interaction between Mulder and Scully was funny which provided some contrast to the Peacock's. There was also a sense of irony in that episode. So why did they ban it?

From what I gathered (and what was posted earlier), it was the incest themes that resulted in the episode's ban. I haven't been able to find anything more specific.

I remember 'Home' was the first "X-Files" episode to have a "Parental Discretion Advised" message included in the previews. I didn't think it was terribly shocking, and I was only in sixth grade at the time.