Goodbye Charlie

Rate this topic

Guest F_Black

Don't feel too bad, I often miss some of the deeper meanings and symbolism, but catch up after watching the episode a couple more times. Even then, Goodbye Charlie isn't a favorite of mine. I'm thinking it's because of the subject matter and of course, to me, the annoying song. I didn't even like it when it first played on the air.

Seethru, post something in the help section about your forum glitches and then staff will try and fix it for you. It's worked for me every time.

BEER----> I dunno. I liked the episode. I liked the original movie better with Tony Curtis and Debbie Reynolds, but it was a comedy. Not quite as serious as the MillenniuM 'Good Bye Charlie'.

BELCH

• Elders (Moderators)

I'm another one who doesn't always get the meaning and symbolism, but I think with a complex show like MM, each viewer can end up with their own interpretation. I have in the past been critical of M&W's choices in their handling of Season 2, but I am mellowing a bit (perhaps because I'm a bit more understanding of the interference by network executives). However, I still think they overdid things in this episode.

The topic of voluntary euthanasia was a very delicate subject to raise back then, and still is now. Even for those in favour of permitting voluntary euthanasia, there are concerns about people being coerced into taking that action. I think this episode did well to highlight the ambiguity of the Steven Kiley character - should Frank and Lara assist to arrest or assist to protect? Is Steven an angel of death or an angel of mercy?

But I don't think the painting and the walnuts were necessary. That, for me, was an example of the switch from the complexity of crime and criminal motivation, in which there are no easy answers, to the vagueness of other-worldliness, which is an area where I can't find any answers at all.

The music was overdone, in my opinion.

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)

*Beer* - What movie are you talking about? It would take me ages to go through imdb's listings for Tony Curtis and Debbie Reynolds, so a movie title would be useful. I can't quite figure out how a comedy could be made of such a subject.

*Beer* - What movie are you talking about? It would take me ages to go through imdb's listings for Tony Curtis and Debbie Reynolds, so a movie title would be useful. I can't quite figure out how a comedy could be made of such a subject.

BEER-----> Very simple - it's titled 'Goodbye Charlie'. Hope this helps.

BELCH

116 min

MV5BMTg0OTMwMzg2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODc2
MOVIEmeter
SEE RANK
Up4,115this week
Goodbye Charlie(1964)
- Comedy|Fantasy|Romance - 18 November 1964 (USA)
Your rating:
Ratings:6.1/10 from 691 users

Reviews: 15 user| 3 critic

Shot by a jealous husband, Charley falls out a porthole and is lost at sea only to find himself returned as an attractive blond woman. His best friend is staying at his house as he puts ... See full summary »

Director: Vincente Minnelli
Writers: George Axelrod (play), Harry Kurnitz (screenplay)

• Elders (Moderators)

Dear Beer,

Well, that was a doh.gif moment for me. I am so into the "everything's complicated" mode currently, that I hadn't thought there was a simpler way to find out the title of that movie.

That movie looks like fun, so maybe I'll add that to my amazon wish-list.