Mark Snow MySpace Page

Rate this topic

Guest goodbye2allthat

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Hahaha! I had no idea what you were talking about, so I searched and found his YouTube video for the song:

White & Nerdy

I have to admit that it's really well done. I had never heard of him before.

Thanks for the video. I know it sound funny to say it, but yes, he really does a great job altering the lyrics as well as delivering them as a rap song. I see in your profile that you were born in 1987, which was just about the peak of his popularity (or shortly after). I guess he did a spoof of Michael Jackson's "Bad" in the early 90s, but then kind of disappeared. People chuckle when they think of him, and I have never really been a big fan, but I have to confess that he has some degree of talent. I think White and Nerdy is his crowning achievement.

Guest SouthernCelt

I don't think Weird Al has ever thought of himself as a musician but as a comedian that specializes in parody. It's usually a lot easier to rewrite lyrics to maintain a "sound" but change the message than it is to create a totally new song, whether serious or comedic. (I do a lot of lyric rewriting myself to take old folk songs and make them more personal to me or to my origins. That's one of my primary hobbies when I'm not visiting here or some of the other message boards.)

If you do a little visiting around the 'net, you'll find a lot of people doing the same thing that Weird Al does but they don't get famous or get a lot of public attention except from other people of similar interests. My geek son finds a lot of that kind of stuff related to computers on the tech web sites he frequents.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I don't think Weird Al has ever thought of himself as a musician but as a comedian that specializes in parody. It's usually a lot easier to rewrite lyrics to maintain a "sound" but change the message than it is to create a totally new song, whether serious or comedic. (I do a lot of lyric rewriting myself to take old folk songs and make them more personal to me or to my origins. That's one of my primary hobbies when I'm not visiting here or some of the other message boards.)

If you do a little visiting around the 'net, you'll find a lot of people doing the same thing that Weird Al does but they don't get famous or get a lot of public attention except from other people of similar interests. My geek son finds a lot of that kind of stuff related to computers on the tech web sites he frequents.

Hey, nice new avatar, you had the other one for a long time. Yes, I agree, I can't say with any certainty what degree of musical talent Weird Al has, but no, I don't consider him a musician either. I have a great deal of respect for those artists who have the ability to write their own stuff, create a new or original sound, and play an instrument of some sort, whether it be piano or guitar or whatever. I have seen no evidence that Weird Al has ever done any of those things. However, I do give him credit for creating his spoofs long before the average U-Tuber, and present something what we saw very little of in the mid 80s, the novelty song. He found a niche and ran with it, and even if there are those who were able to do it just as well, Weird Al was one of the first to break into the mainstream, thanks in large part to MTV and the popularity of the songs he was spoofing. So, in other words, I don't want to get too carried away pumping up Weird Al, but I do respect the ability he does have, and the fact that he was able to make it work in a way that nobody else seems to have done. I also think that he does have a lot of the comedic talent you speak of, and this transferred well to his videos as well as his lyrics. Oh, and one final thought, I know that a lot of people are doing things on U-Tube, but I think you will rarely find the kind of quality we see in "White and Nerdy". :notworthy:

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

PS Celt, while I do like your new Avatar, I hope you don't turn into one of those annoying types who seem to be changing to a new Avatar every other day......... :oneeyedwinK

Guest SouthernCelt
PS Celt, while I do like your new Avatar, I hope you don't turn into one of those annoying types who seem to be changing to a new Avatar every other day......... :oneeyedwinK

I've been waiting for someone to notice. Have any idea where it came from? I thought it was about time for something a little different and really expected Raven Wolf to ask about it first.

BTW, is there a particular 'annoying type' that you might be speaking of? :oneeyedwinK

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
i hope your not refering to me?

Hey, handsome avatar, no actually I was being sarcastic about my own recent tendencies to be switching avatars on a daily basis.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I've been waiting for someone to notice. Have any idea where it came from? I thought it was about time for something a little different and really expected Raven Wolf to ask about it first.

BTW, is there a particular 'annoying type' that you might be speaking of? :oneeyedwinK

No, can't say that I recognize it. I wish I had that program that Frank had where he traced something on a pad and then did a search for it on his computer. If I had to guess, I would agree with DBSD, a Celtic symbol.

Guest SouthernCelt
No, can't say that I recognize it. I wish I had that program that Frank had where he traced something on a pad and then did a search for it on his computer. If I had to guess, I would agree with DBSD, a Celtic symbol.

I figured mentioning Raven Wolf would give it away, but you've pursued the wrong "clue" about me. It's a pseudo-Native American symbol for an owl, supposed to be Northwestern US area origin, but it came from stills from one of my other fave shows -- Twin Peaks. For all know it could be something David Lynch concocted that he thought looked "Indian". In the 2nd season of TP, they got into the Black Lodge/White Lodge mytharc after "Bob" had given up his "good ride" human form and escaped. The giant had already given Agent Cooper some terse clues, one of which was "the owls are not what they seem" then the whole mess started to come together as being something better defined by Native American belief than the white man's philosophy or religion...And we still haven't gotten into the "Red Room" and the backward speaking dwarf yet!

The fact that TP was so quirky and weird was what drew me to it originally and it's why I had to have the show on DVD. I'm in the middle of the second season now (and realized I missed some parts of it on the first run...or my memory is failing...'cause I didn't remember some parts at all).